Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

I can't see a scenario where Kesler isn't one of the two backup fullbacks next season. 

Do you not think he appears a bit small and slight? Not developed enough yet?

I don’t know, don’t watch much of the youngsters.

I would like to see Barry get some minutes (moreso than Davies - move him out on loan or perm), he appears to be a lethal finisher.

Carney looks like a future star (is he a proper Villa fan like Jack & Barry?). 

The real issue this summer is how highly the manager thinks the U23s are ready.
The likes of Kessler, Barry, Carney and JBP all seem very close, and with Ramsey already a first teamer, and his brother and maybe Young looking the part too, I feel we have these as second choice.

With Heaton seemingly certain to leave, is Steer enough with a kid as 3rd choice or do we need to get a professional sub goalie in? Steer always seems injured, which is a worry.
Guilbert should be back to cover FBs, along with Kessler.
Feel we need rid of Engels, and bring in (or through from the U23s) another CB, if we stay 4-4-2 as our plan A.

We need a proper defensive midfielder, with Nakamba as back up. 
This would leave Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, and perhaps Carney fighting for the other places. They're all young so rotation will help - particularly as McGinn plays every second for Scotland, and Luiz will have plenty of long trips for Brazil. I feel the lack of rotation hurt us after Christmas.

We need another winger - even with Jack and Traore. JBP and Barry can both do a job out wide, and so I think can all the FBs and Watkins. It wouldn't surprise me if El Ghazi left, as I think we could get decent money, but with Trez out for the season, that might complicate that.

Up front - Watkins, Wesley and Davis is OK, providing Wesley is properly recovered. If they think Barry (and/or maybe Young?) is ready to step up, it gives us an option, so maybe Davis finally gets a loan, even for the first half of the season.

So for me - we must get a DCM and a winger with proper money - and probably another CB and reserve keeper from the bargain basement. We have a few leaving, and a couple we can sell, so it probably won't need anythign like £100m again. 
Of course, all dependent on whether the youth are ready. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Do you not think he appears a bit small and slight? Not developed enough yet?

I don’t know, don’t watch much of the youngsters.

I would like to see Barry get some minutes (moreso than Davies - move him out on loan or perm), he appears to be a lethal finisher.

Not for me - he's about 5'10", and pretty solidly built. And very mobile - like Cash. He's only 18 still, so may grow a bit more.
He might just end up being the best out of all of them, albeit in a less high profile position.

I think we have to be really careful with the kids... not an easy decision.

If we genuinely want to be competing/aiming for top 6 next season, then they are probably not cut out for that battle yet (off the bench I mean, certainly not in any starting positions.).

I worry if we think we don’t need to sign certain players or think we don’t need to strengthen positions because we think some of the kids are good enough or ready. The best example being if we think Ramsey is a good replacement/upgrade on Barkley - I really don’t see it, yet.

We need top class talent and better than we have in those areas...

Makes sense to send a few kids out on loan to experience “real men’s football” as they say. They should return much stronger and better.

We really need to demonstrate our ambition most vividly so far now...

this is the moment...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Not for me - he's about 5'10", and pretty solidly built. And very mobile - like Cash. He's only 18 still, so may grow a bit more.
He might just end up being the best out of all of them, albeit in a less high profile position.

I really hope he can be a top player for us, glad to hear that.

Disciplined and solid enough defensively?

Decent in attack, good delivery?

Yeah I agree about letting El Ghazi go with now being the best time to do it.

He's not very creative, if at all. Don't think hes had a single assist all season, (or even created a big chance?). If teams scouted us properly they would know all he wants to do is cut inside and blast it as hard as he can (usually over the bar) with the odd one flying in.

Very much a highlights player that probably looks good on match of the day.

I would spend big on a replacement in the 30-40m range, get a proper creative winger in so Jack can play in the middle, we played our best football of the season when Barkley was injured and Jack was moved to the #10 role.

• Like 2

Although I’d agree timing wise El Ghazis stock probably hasn’t been higher I’d say Trezs injury means he’ll stay. I’d be surprised if we bought two wide players this summer. 

If we could get a decent fee for him and chuck it on a 19yr old prospect it might be worth doing. 

Surprised to see so many people expecting Guilbert to come back; personally I'm expecting us to sell him for a nominal fee if his loan has been a success. I don't think Smith rates him, and frankly I don't think he should either.

Goalkeeper is an interesting question, if Heaton and Kalinic leave. Personally I'm fine with Steer as a backup, but not sure if Smith is. We could sign a 3rd keeper, but one player who is often overlooked is Sinisalo, who has spent all year on a successful loan in the Scottish Championship with Ayr. Obviously the level is hopeless, but it's hard for young goalkeepers to get games. Perhaps a bit soon for him to be 3rd choice, but will be interesting to see what we do with him.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Out of favor... I just have a gut feeling he’s coming.

Could be nothing, but i've been noticing the club have been "strategically posting " video clips of the WBA playoff shootout on social media, with him pictured as the cover image and walking.

Could be tin foil hat stuff, but I have been wondering.

Jack - Tammy - Ollie front 3?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Could be nothing, but i've been noticing the club have been "strategically posting " video clips of the WBA playoff shootout on social media, with him pictured as the cover image and walking.

Could be tin foil hat stuff, but I have been wondering.

Jack - Tammy - Ollie front 3?

Is it not just cause it's been 2 years since that match?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Bought him from Northampton and he’s born in Northampton so he could be a Northampton town fan or any premier league team like most young lads from smaller towns, I suppose the biggest plus is its not a far commute for him or his family to bodymoor heath and could be a factor in staying put for a few years.