Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

100% this.

It also wouldn’t make the Sanson signing make much sense. Assuming one of Luis and Mcginn are playing and we sign a DM - was Sanson brought in as backup??

yeah I just don't understand where a new signing at CDM fits into our squad with us having Luiz McGinn and then bringing in Sanson in January. Don't see any space for one in our starting 11 unless Dean drops us playing that advanced attacking midfield (of the 3). Throw in Ramsay as well getting game time and I dunno

I think Sanson will be seen more as the replacement for McGinn next season which still leaves us needing 2 more in there. Luiz will get better so i have no problem with him keeping his place but at set pieces at both ends we miss height in both boxes, so a midfielder with height is a must. I also think we need to have the attacking midfielder as one with prem league experience so can hit the ground running. We can't put the pressure back on Jack when the season starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

DM - Nakamba (too limited, need better, happy to move on or keep in reserve)

DM/CM - Luiz (persevere with him at DM or position at CM and rotate with others)

CM - McGinn & Sanson (neither are DMs, box to box). These pair will be competing and rotating, Dean loves McGinn and I’m sure Sanson wasn’t signed as a backup. 

AM - ?

Ok, so looking here the only decent or potential quality DM we have is Luiz (for a top half+ competing PL team). If he can rediscover and even improve upon his form during the backend of last season then that would be excellent. We’ve seen how remaining patient with players can provide a huge benefit - Targett is the best example.

We can either continue with Doug as our first choice DM and hope he continues his progression and becomes our main man, for the long term, in that position.

Or, we can convert him to a CM that can cover at DM and will be competing and rotating with McGinn & Sanson.

Ramsey is not a DM either and I personally don’t think he should be close to starting games but is fine off the bench (a loan would be good if we strengthen the squad significantly whereby he isn’t really needed). Especially if we want to really challenge higher up the table, he needs more development imo.

All depends on our ambitions and transfer strategy.

Final option: Doug could become our backup/rotation DM who can cover at CM if we sign a new first choice DM.

Again, I really believe that we require a more physical and dominant presence in midfield. We could do with another signing in there because we are sometimes outmuscled, overpowered and dominated. I would love us to be more resilient and combative in midfield (would be nice for us to have someone to disrupt n outmuscle/compete against the likes of Pogba, Rodri, Ndidi, Soucek and others) but we need to raise the quality (on the ball) too. We must improve our ball retention (please!!!) and build up play.

agreed with most of this. I like Nakamba but it's telling that he rarely gets a game for us. I really like Luiz as well and want to give him more game time, yet also think there is room for an out and our DM better than Nakamba. I guess my big concern would be where does this new DM signing play. 

Like you say, Luiz would then compete with McGinn (whom Smith loves like you said) and Sanson (like you say again wasn't signed to be a backup). I just don't see where another midfield signing would go in because Deano isn't going to be dropping his 2 wingers playstyle (or at least hasn't shown any inclination to do so. This leaves me at the point where are we expecting to sell Luiz to get this new old fashioned DM  

5 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Why don't you rate Maddison?  

Just my uneducated hunch if I'm being honest, and also not the type of player I think we need for next season.

I rate Maddison but if Leicester would to get mad and allow us to pick a young up and coming English player from them it'd be Harvey Barnes. have him on the left and Jack as a 10 and we'd be very strong.

Just skimmed the last two pages and it sounds like we're bringing in Maddison, Iheanacho and Harvey Barnes. 

I imagine some would still complain about the lack of a 6'4" midfield enforcer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It would be a huge coup but I’d love someone like Tchouaméni from Monaco. If their money troubles are as bad as some say then we might have a chance. I think he’d probably cost about £30m but if we’re only getting 2 or 3 key players then that could be ok.

• Like 1

To be fair i have no clue where Tammy goes.

Clubs outside the top 6 aren't really in a deperate need of strikers. Everton have Calvert Lewin. We have Watkins. West Ham have Antonio. Leeds Bamford.

Maybe Wolves?

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To be fair i have no clue where Tammy goes.

Clubs outside the top 6 aren't really in a deperate need of strikers. Everton have Calvert Lewin. We have Watkins. West Ham have Antonio. Leeds Bamford.

Maybe Wolves?

palace...benteke out of contract in summer and likely to bring lampard in to replace roy so there's the chelsea connection too

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

palace...benteke out of contract in summer and likely to bring lampard in to replace roy so there's the chelsea connection too

Yup, would be my bet too.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If they get CL I can see West ham going for him, Antonio hasnt got 50 games a year in him 

Someone is going to get stung... He's not a £40m player but that's where I can see Chelsea pitching him 

i'd imagine it'll be loan with an option whoever takes him