Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

On 18/04/2021 at 15:19, TRO said:

one winger, one striker, 2 midfielders.

1 RW; 1 RW/LW;1DCM; 1LB; 1CB. 

I don't think an established expensive striker will come in to play second fiddle to Watkins, and making him first choice would piss off Watkins.

Better if Wesley could step up to the mark?

I think 2 good wingers would make a big difference.

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Sanson was a player we had been tracking for a while and as he became cheap it was a good opportunity to sign him even though it’s one for next season. I don’t think for a second it’s altered our plans to strengthen other positions. 

Will he improve or is what we have seen, not very impressive, his level?

59 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I would say that isn't really the solution either. The access to the Champions League has been one of the catalysts for the improvement in the Premier League. It is where the real money is at and best players want to play against the best players. A PL only solution would result in a massive talent drain not just of the foreign players but also the top English players will be off too.

Cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is rarely a solution for anything. I would suggest striking a balance between the two.

I agree.  I wasn't advocating pulling out of the CL.  What I was saying is that the more we support an enlarged CL, the more we support the revenue models of Barca, RM and Bayern etc..  The PL is a great product and has significantly higher global TV revenues than the other leagues.  We should look to continue this trend and increase our domestic revenues further and widen the gap with the European clubs.

The Super League strategy supports Barca, RM, Bayern etc. revenues and keeps them on a par.  With a less influential CL (or at least constant), the growth in the PL will only make our clubs stronger by comparison.  We have started this journey, but the European Super League will re-address this back towards the other European top clubs. 

19 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Well......from what I’m reading all the main federations and leagues are stating they’ll fight this with everything they’ve got......including barring any player who plays in the breakaway from being eligible for international football. The current alleged signatories thus far do not include any German or French clubs, indeed its only 3 from Italy and Spain joining the six from England. And all of those countries league federations have spoken out strongly against the proposed breakaway clubs. As Gary Neville has already said, these clubs must now be heavily sanctioned. 

Yep. Points deductions at least to take them into the bottom 6 and then scrap to see which 3 get relegated.

I posted this on Twitter...  what I'd like to see if this SuperLeague actually happens:

The Premier League says: 

Ok Big6...  you can stay in the Premier League, however each club is fined for this breach every year for participating in the SuperLeague.  The sum of the fine is EQUAL to the payout ($350mil).  That is the price you pay to remain in the Premier League and continue moving forward with status quo.  All fines collected from the 'SuperLeague Tax' every year are distributed equally between all 20 teams.  So the Big6 will get some of that money back, but they will get the same amount as everyone else.  Problem solved...  enjoy your little closed shop ya pricks- and thanks for the extra $2.1bil for the Premier League teams.

If they don't agree to these terms- they are expelled from English football.

Edited by ejs1111
  • Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 16:53, Jas10 said:

Seriously though, just bring him in! (And another - Buendia?)

A few proper attackers to play w Jack & Ollie is really going to elevate us.

He’s going to be better than our current wingers (has performed well in a good league and maybe just needs a move to kick on to the next level), see if we can throw in Anwar as part of the deal too.

Rashica (10-15m), Olise (10m) and one of Buendia, Sarr or Brooks (30-40m) would be fantastic.  

Add to that a solid DCM, say Berge (30m), a back up left back (10m) and a striker (Edouard?? at say 20m).

Less 25m to 30m on disposals.

That would be a great window imho.

9 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Rashica (10-15m), Olise (10m) and one of Buendia, Sarr or Brooks (30-40m) would be fantastic.  

Add to that a solid DCM, say Berge (30m), a back up left back (10m) and a striker (Edouard?? at say 20m).

Less 25m to 30m on disposals.

That would be a great window imho.

They all sound a bit like players we would have tried for last year when progressing from a relegation threatened side to a mid table side. Are they players to take us forwards?

22 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

They all sound a bit like players we would have tried for last year when progressing from a relegation threatened side to a mid table side. Are they players to take us forwards?

I think we still need to bring in half a dozen players - two or three first team and three or four back up to complete the squad - so, unless FFP has gone completely out of the window, we can't go crazy.  I believe the six that I have listed would make us a better side (certainly creatively) and a much better squad.  I am not saying we would win the league with that squad but I think we could have a really good go at the European places and I think it would demonstrate progression to Jack.

I think it would potentially be difficult to bring in players above that level at this stage in our development.  Even now Berge has been linked with Liverpool, Rashica with RB Leipzig (a regular CL club), Brooks and Sarr with United and United/Liverpool respectively, Buendia with Arsenal, Edouard with Leicester.

I want to aim high but I think we also have to be realistic and recognise the art of the possible.

The next step is probably to plug the gaps and then, if we are successful and our owners continue to support us, the following year may be aiming higher with one or two £50m to £60m players? 

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have watched the Bundesliga  this season. We dodged a bullet with Rashica. He has been terrible.

It sounds like you have superior knowledge to me, but I assumed his poor form was down to coming back from a bad injury and probably the disappointment of net getting a move last summer. I had understood that he had been back to his previous levels over the last 4  games or so??

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

It sounds like you have superior knowledge to me, but I assumed his poor form was down to coming back from a bad injury and probably the disappointment of net getting a move last summer. I had understood that he had been back to his previous levels over the last 4  games or so??

if I am being fairer, he has been "ok". I mean he just scored for the first time in over a year. he is kinda like a El Ghazi like player but with less power / speed and more skills. Can be invisible during a game, but also can pop up with something special.

I will say there is no question of bad attitude from him though. he has been fine there.

I guess i dont see how he improves us. But i could be wrong!

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/who-is-milot-rashica-werder-bremen-kosovo-forward-alexis-sanchez-8668

It's not just his ability to play across the front line and ice-cold finishing that Rashica has in common with Arsenal-era Alexis Sanchez. A one-man attacking force with pace to burn, the Bremen talisman has that self-same stocky build and low centre of gravity that made Sanchez such an overwhelming prospect for opposition defenders back in his Barcelona and Arsenal days. He loves a set-piece goal, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that slightly underrates what sanchez's best quality was, much like Watkins he was a 1 man press, had an incredible engine and ability to put the opposition under pressure, brilliant off the ball, maybe one of the best attacking players I've ever seen do it, was non stop 

• Like 1

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/milot-rashica-bremen-rocket-liverpool-transfer/1ljsdfh625bn9194situ8ipi43

Rashica has been a rare standout player in a terrible team, not only providing the most goals and assists for Bremen, but also completing the most dribbles, getting the most shots on target, taking the most touches in the opposition box and setting up more chances than any other team-mate.

Being Bremen's biggest contributor is simply not enough for the winger nicknamed 'The Rocket,' as he keeps setting himself higher and higher targets.

"I always try to score as many goals as possible. But it's all about helping the team and being successful," Rashica told DPA . "I'm never satisfied. I always want more.

"When I've scored 10 goals, I want to score 15. When I have scored 15, I want 20. As a striker, you always want to score as many goals as possible. I think I've done okay, but I hope to score several more goals this season."

He’s just been disrupted by injury and playing for a weaker side, sure he’ll be back to his best soon and is waiting for a move to reach the next level...

I’m not obsessed with us signing him in particular but he seems an ideal kind of target. Plus, you can’t get much worse than El Ghazi & Trez.

We need to upgrade where possible - look what bringing in Emi & Ollie has done to us for example. A few more of that calibre and we will only get better and better.

• Like 1

We need creativity and pace.

For example, Buendia would help us create chances (lightening the load on Jack and working in tandem with him) and Rashica has explosive pace and finishing prowess. These players can alternate and change positions during a game and we would be very threatening, Ollie would thrive.

We need these kinds of players, I’m hoping the scouting team are ready with some exciting targets in mind. Whether or not it includes these two.

A physical and taller presence is required in midfield too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

if I am being fairer, he has been "ok". I mean he just scored for the first time in over a year. he is kinda like a El Ghazi like player but with less power / speed and more skills. Can be invisible during a game, but also can pop up with something special.

I will say there is no question of bad attitude from him though. he has been fine there.

I guess i dont see how he improves us. But i could be wrong!

I honestly can’t recall the last time I saw Anwar speed past an opponent or beat his man with trickery or skill. Time to move on to better...

• Like 2