Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah there's definitely an element of this with muscle injuries and things related to posture, weak joints, etc.

But the really nasty collision injuries - leg breaks, skull fractures, etc - are just pure bad luck, and can happen to anyone. If Ben Mee comes flying into Ollie like he did to Wesley, I imagine it would be a pretty similar outcome.

So yes, we definitely need cover for Watkins, despite his excellent fitness record to date.

So what.

Are we gonna sign a 30 million striker to sit on the bench in case somebody does a Ben Mee on Watkins?

Far fetched. Davis and Wesley is about as good of back up strikers we can hope for imo.

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

I’ve just read Leicester have decided against the permanent signing of Cengiz Under - haven’t seen too much of him for them but talented RW at the right age now with a years experience of this league Under his belt ... Obviously surplus at Roma . Dejan Kulusevski from juventus is another shout for RW...  

Edited by thabucks

51 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Dejan Kulusevski from juventus is another shout for RW...  

Given the financial problems of many big teams on the continent there’s probably more value to be had from there than the Premier League. Neto, Pulisic etc are fabulous players, but if we do spend big (by our standards) on 2-3 v good additions then Europe is likely where they’ll come from.

Heard various podcasts over this season saying we were after some surprisingly good targets last summer but couldn’t land them. I don’t expect our ambitions on that front to be any less this summer. 

• Like 1

Not sure I’m in agreement with spending a load of money on a striker when Watkins is performing so well. 

We’re not in a position where we can spend big money on back up players. In my opinion, we should be spending the larger sums on the positions that we’re weak in. For me, we should be looking at the following...

Martinez
Cash
Konsa
Mings
Targett
McGinn
Grealish
Watkins

There are 3 positions there that need strengthening - MC, AMR, AMC (depending on where you see Grealish playing). If we got those right, we’d have a really strong XI and the players playing now would become the squad players. Players like Traore, Sanson, Davis, Ramsey, Luiz all being options off the bench would be amazing. 

As much as I would love Tammy back, it’s not money well spent. Let’s go out and strengthen the areas of the first team that are weak now and maybe one day we’ll be able to afford to spend 50m on a player to compete with our 30m club record signing! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats...9 p's

I'm getting P'd off now.

I was always taught the 7p’s in the military, which perfectly sums up transfers Windows.

prior

planning

preparation

prevents

piss

poor

performance 

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I’m in agreement with spending a load of money on a striker when Watkins is performing so well. 

We’re not in a position where we can spend big money on back up players. In my opinion, we should be spending the larger sums on the positions that we’re weak in. For me, we should be looking at the following...

Martinez
Cash
Konsa
Mings
Targett
McGinn
Grealish
Watkins

There are 3 positions there that need strengthening - MC, AMR, AMC (depending on where you see Grealish playing). If we got those right, we’d have a really strong XI and the players playing now would become the squad players. Players like Traore, Sanson, Davis, Ramsey, Luiz all being options off the bench would be amazing. 

As much as I would love Tammy back, it’s not money well spent. Let’s go out and strengthen the areas of the first team that are weak now and maybe one day we’ll be able to afford to spend 50m on a player to compete with our 30m club record signing! 

I think you have said a lot of great things there but I do fear for us if we only have Watkins as our main striker next season.  He has a really good injury record but it is a risk.  

Then our striker is Wes who we aren’t sure how he’s going to come back, Davis that gets no game time and somebody suggested Traore as back backstop which is fine but I wouldn’t be delighted with Traore having a long stretch as centre forward.

We have to bring in an alternative, I think somebody like Tammy but I do understand your point but we have to at least get a cheap option, maybe a veteran or an up and coming player from abroad at a minimum.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We won't be signing anybody to sit on the bench. We'll be signing players to compete for a starting place. As it should be.

This!

We are now at the point that we should be buying players who are better than our starting XI, pushing our current players to the bench or having a hard fight to keep their place.  

Taking my Villa blinkers off, only Emi and Jack are not likely to be bettered.  We have fantastic players like Konsa and Ollie but if somebody comes along whose better and a deal could be struck, bring them in.  Obviously we want to focus on our weak areas further forward but we shouldn’t look away if a better player in any position could be gettable.  What we mustn’t do is buy a load of squad fillers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think many posters fears (mine included) is that we risk going into the next season with only "one striker" on paper.

Sadly, hardly anyone rates Davis, and we cannot assume Wesley is going to be sufficient back up next season either.

I think we should be looking at a striker of some sort as I don't think we should go through another season playing one striker.

Ollie has looked gassed of late playing a whole season pretty much alone so I am in the camp of 'we need another striker'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So what.

Are we gonna sign a 30 million striker to sit on the bench in case somebody does a Ben Mee on Watkins?

Far fetched. Davis and Wesley is about as good of back up strikers we can hope for imo.

Not Davis as a back up striker, have you not been seeing the last two season of him up front. Davis as support else where seems to work better.

Barry has scored more goals in the first team than Davis in two seasons back in this league and you don't mention that lad, now that's what I find absolutely mental around here.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

There are 3 positions there that need strengthening - MC, AMR, AMC (depending on where you see Grealish playing). 

I get where you're coming from and I agree with an awful lot of it - but I think we will absolutely need to go out and get a LB, even if it's one that doesn't knock Targett out of the side. If he's injured or suspended we currently don't have one. I'd love to see us pick up a really talented nineteen or twenty year old left back that can compete for the spot but won't grumble too much about the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I think you have said a lot of great things there but I do fear for us if we only have Watkins as our main striker next season.  He has a really good injury record but it is a risk.  

Then our striker is Wes who we aren’t sure how he’s going to come back, Davis that gets no game time and somebody suggested Traore as back backstop which is fine but I wouldn’t be delighted with Traore having a long stretch as centre forward.

We have to bring in an alternative, I think somebody like Tammy but I do understand your point but we have to at least get a cheap option, maybe a veteran or an up and coming player from abroad at a minimum.

Edouard at £20m would be cheap for a striker.  He would be perfect for us but will obviously attract other interest, including Rodgers at Leicester who is probably favourite given they will have CL, are playing two up top and have the old connection.

Watkins and/or Edouard with Wes as third choice would be a really strong three.

I would let KD out on loan then - I still see a player there and his performance last Sunday pointed to that. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Not Davis as a back up striker, have you not been seeing the last two season of him up front. Davis as support else where seems to work better.

Barry has scored more goals in the first team than Davis in two seasons back in this league and you don't mention that lad, now that's what I find absolutely mental around here.

Looks a great prospect but doesn't look physically robust enough to play PL football at the minute.  Didn't he cramp up fairly early in the 2nd half v Liverpool?

I would say he might need a loan but he might be better sticking around at VP next season and working with Ollie Stevenson on his physique?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

We won't be signing anybody to sit on the bench. We'll be signing players to compete for a starting place. As it should be.

I'm not sure to be honest. 

A bit like at spurs, they don't sign forwards to compete with Kane, they sign back ups. 

I can see us doing similar. I don't think we're currently a big enough pull to sign a big money striker to come and compete for a starting spot.

I think in other spots it will be different.