Ranking Existing Premier League Stadiums

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m also not sure how anybody could put Elland Road above Villa Park in any category.  I’m trying not to be biased but I just don’t see it.

Your telling me. Total horse manaure there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m also not sure how anybody could put Elland Road above Villa Park in any category.  I’m trying not to be biased but I just don’t see it.

Yeah, but their manager sits on a bucket, drinks tea, squats during games, walks to training and is a tactical genius so on that basis their ground has to be better than ours.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yeah, but their manager sits on a bucket, drinks tea, squats during games, walks to training and is a tactical genius so on that basis their ground has to be better than ours.

Yeah I know, dont get me started on him. 

• Haha 1

Been past Elland Road on the train many times so while I've never been in to watch a match from the outside it looks really run down with three old stands dwarfed by the massive main stand.

I assume their long term plan once they've stayed up for a few years will be to stick upper tier on at least one of the other stands to get capacity up to 50k (it will also look a bit like Newcastle) but interested what those who've been think of it as they shifted the away end a few years back from in the corner to behind the tunnel in the very old main stand.

One of my favourite away grounds is actually Molineux. Probably helps I've been three times and seen the away team win on those three occasions (Villa/Robbie Keane game/Arsenal/Walsall) but it's my idea of what a football ground should be, pretty much slap bang by a town centre so you can be having last orders at half 2 and still be at the turnstiles 10 minutes before kick off and when you get in you're pretty much on top of the pitch so ideal for atmosphere. Bramall Lane also one I rate highly for same reasons.

Been to Emirates loads of time,s cracking views from almost anywhere but a very coporate feel to things which I dislike, was more impressed with Stadium of Light which is another top ground. Will try to get up and watch Newcastle-Villa when everything is clear but don't fancy watching the game from top of roof so will try to blag a ticket in home end.

Would rate Selhurst Park as worst of grounds given it's hardly had lick of paint since the 1980s and from TV they put the away fans in that tight touchline stand with loads of pillars and minimal leg room so very much a lower league feel.

VP is good but could be better. Won't go over the old debate of old Trinity v new stand but while the views in all tiers are excellent I always think the design could've been better as it's always incredibly packed in the top tier when it's a full house and that's obviously same for North Stand and Witton aswell so facilities really should be better for a new build.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Been past Elland Road on the train many times so while I've never been in to watch a match from the outside it looks really run down with three old stands dwarfed by the massive main stand.

I assume their long term plan once they've stayed up for a few years will be to stick upper tier on at least one of the other stands to get capacity up to 50k (it will also look a bit like Newcastle) but interested what those who've been think of it as they shifted the away end a few years back from in the corner to behind the tunnel in the very old main stand.

One of my favourite away grounds is actually Molineux. Probably helps I've been three times and seen the away team win on those three occasions (Villa/Robbie Keane game/Arsenal/Walsall) but it's my idea of what a football ground should be, pretty much slap bang by a town centre so you can be having last orders at half 2 and still be at the turnstiles 10 minutes before kick off and when you get in you're pretty much on top of the pitch so ideal for atmosphere. Bramall Lane also one I rate highly for same reasons.

Been to Emirates loads of time,s cracking views from almost anywhere but a very coporate feel to things which I dislike, was more impressed with Stadium of Light which is another top ground. Will try to get up and watch Newcastle-Villa when everything is clear but don't fancy watching the game from top of roof so will try to blag a ticket in home end.

Would rate Selhurst Park as worst of grounds given it's hardly had lick of paint since the 1980s and from TV they put the away fans in that tight touchline stand with loads of pillars and minimal leg room so very much a lower league feel.

VP is good but could be better. Won't go over the old debate of old Trinity v new stand but while the views in all tiers are excellent I always think the design could've been better as it's always incredibly packed in the top tier when it's a full house and that's obviously same for North Stand and Witton aswell so facilities really should be better for a new build.

Think I’m old school.  I think grounds are supposed to have a bit of a rough edge to them.  I loved Roker Park and while Stadium of Light is ok it’s just not the same, same with Highbury over Emirates.  Although I did like Derby’s Pride Park when it opened back in the late 90’s, felt all posh at the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Stadiums

___

Is it me being biased but VIlla Park 10th? Leeds ahead of us?

And not being funny but even though OT has the largest capacity its falling apart. They cant even afford to do the renovation works as it cost to much work.

I think Villa park is definitely in the top 6 of stadiums in england for its history

The guys a tard the rankings are ridiculous.

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Think I’m old school.  I think grounds are supposed to have a bit of a rough edge to them.  I loved Roker Park and while Stadium of Light is ok it’s just not the same, same with Highbury over Emirates.  Although I did like Derby’s Pride Park when it opened back in the late 90’s, felt all posh at the time.

Derby is o.k but a bit of a trek if you go into the town centre for a few pints first, same for Leicester with identical stadium and long old walk from even the station.

Never actually been to watch a match at the City ground thinking about it (have at Notts County which is right next door). Trent Bridge is nice setting with the cricket ground across the road aswell. Forest really need to get their stuff sorted and get back into premier league again, hopefully Hughton will do similar job to what he did at Brighton.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Derby is o.k but a bit of a trek if you go into the town centre for a few pints first, same for Leicester with identical stadium and long old walk from even the station.

Never actually been to watch a match at the City ground thinking about it (have at Notts County which is right next door). Trent Bridge is nice setting with the cricket ground across the road aswell. Forest really need to get their stuff sorted and get back into premier league again, hopefully Hughton will do similar job to what he did at Brighton.

Ahh my away trips were more with extended family members, our only time we all got together, various ages so we rarely visited the pubs so I had a slightly different experience than you on that.

I’ll have to sit down one day and try and figure how many grounds I’ve been to both old and new.  Might be nice to complete the every ground thing in the four divisions in ten to fifteen years time in my older age and see more of the country.

• Like 1

I went to Spurs away last season. Their new stadium looks nice, very flashy and shiny, but has zero soul.

I would take villa being average at best but staying at Villa Park than chase extra money by building a stadium like that. 

Villa Park has an aura, history, magic under the lights at night and the stories of players who have played there.

Aston Villa, to me, is Villa Park. 

1. Spurs
  2. Man City
  3. Liverpool
  4. Arsenal
  5. Man Utd
  6. Newcastle
  7. Villa
  8. Chelsea
  9. West Ham
  10. Everton
  11. Leeds
  12. Wolves
  13. Leicester
  14. Southampton
  15. Brighton
  16. Sheffield United
  17. Brighton
  18. West Brom
  19. Fulham
  20. Burnley

I didn't put a massive amount of thought into that, but it'll do.

9 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I went to Spurs away last season. Their new stadium looks nice, very flashy and shiny, but has zero soul.

I would take villa being average at best but staying at Villa Park than chase extra money by building a stadium like that. 

Villa Park has an aura, history, magic under the lights at night and the stories of players who have played there.

Wouldn’t mind North Stand being done, maybe increasing the capacity above 50k and I’d be happy.  

Villa Park, like most on here, is such a big part of my life and special memories I don’t want it to change too much over the coming years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

i agree with spurs, new ground did nothing for me.

they wanted an 'end' but the problem is that the singing section at WHL was right next to the away fans, so naturally, that area was always going to be next to the away fans at the new ground. hence the 'wall' that they built is devoid of any atmosphere. they wanted something that resembled dortmund but it failed massively

were we to ever build a new VP, i'd imagine we'd just have a new holte end, so atmosphere wise nothing would change

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Elland Road? It’s the most dilapidated stadium I’ve seen! 

edit: I should clarify I went there in about 2005 so it might have got better?

No it hasn’t, I was there for the 1-1 when we got promoted and it’s a total shed.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i agree with spurs, new ground did nothing for me.

they wanted an 'end' but the problem is that the singing section at WHL was right next to the away fans, so naturally, that area was always going to be next to the away fans at the new ground. hence the 'wall' that they built is devoid of any atmosphere. they wanted something that resembled dortmund but it failed massively

were we to ever build a new VP, i'd imagine we'd just have a new holte end, so atmosphere wise nothing would change

I quite like the way they designed the Spurs ground. About 20 years ago the new grounds were just a large single bowl (Southampton, Derby, Boro, Leicester etc) and seems in last decade the design has been for three tiers with a small middle tier for coporate stuff e.g. Arsenal, Benfica, Bilbao and Atletico Madrid are all similar type grounds.

Having a big single stand in style of the old Holte or what they do with Dortmund is a nice feature so I like new grounds that stand out from the norm, always thought the design of the Bolton ground was different to much of what was build in the 90s with the big floodlights and raised stands so you get a cracking view of the pitch so that's another one I like but we won't be playing there for a long while unless we draw them in the cup.

West Brom is a funny one. Went to watch them play Arsenal 2-3 years ago and it's a decent enough ground with a much bigger concourse than what you get in most areas at VP. Was odd though looking across and seeing probably the smallest single tier stand in premier league (one where the tunnel is). Had about 10 rows and that was it!

Â