Pre - Match Thread

MaVilla

McGinn inparticular has looked like he's blowing out his arse the last few games, so I'd have benched him. 

Played Nakamba & Luiz as deep lying Midfielders as that's where Barkley and McGinn leave us isolated. 

Hopefully Arsenal won't have their whole team marking Greliash today and we can play on the counter, which I think this team is best suited to do. 

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

4-0 arsenal.

Pathetic side. EL ghazi given one 45 min game is poor so dropped yet Barkley and McGinn offer nothing for weeks on end and carry on playing. 

Foolish team selection. 

Nakamba in is at least something I suppose.

That's sensationalism. 

Barkley has been back for how many weeks? It was only a week ago that his goal was the winning goal vs Southampton. McGinn was better than Luiz the other night. Better in the position. His alternative would be Sanson and its probably too big a game to change two out of the central three. 

Traore wide right makes sense as El Ghazi was shocking there on Wednesday. 

I think we may see El Ghazi wide left and Jack in place of Barkley if Ross has a poor first half but, other than that it is was it is. 

1 minute ago, JB said:

I was critical of Luiz in the West Ham game but I’m surprised he’s been dropped. He’s one of our most naturally talented players and always puts a shift in. He was arguably exposed by the performances of others (cough Barkley). He’ll be badly missed, I expect. 

Hope to be proved wrong. 

Except he doesn't though. He's a talented player with a great array of passing but as regards his work rate, you never know what you are going to get from him. It's all on the day and is wildly inconsistent. He has left people through too easy lately.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised about sanson, can only assume Smith thinks he's not up to speed which as we saw with traore is possible

In Purslow's interview though I took that we were more likely to buy him in the summer and buying him now allows him to settle this half of the season because he is a long term strategic buy so while I know we are leggy, thinking long term and allowing Sanson to settle into England is probably a good thing rather than throwing him straight into the deep end like so many players are.  I'm ok with this approach to be honest, he's changing countries, changing leagues, new players, new environment thus give him a few weeks to acclimatise and see our methods of play through training and to fit in, along with with some subs appearances.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

That's sensationalism. 

Barkley has been back for how many weeks? It was only a week ago that his goal was the winning goal vs Southampton. McGinn was better than Luiz the other night. Better in the position. His alternative would be Sanson and its probably too big a game to change two out of the central three. 

Traore wide right makes sense as El Ghazi was shocking there on Wednesday. 

I think we may see El Ghazi wide left and Jack in place of Barkley if Ross has a poor first half but, other than that it is was it is. 

and like what Barkley and Smith have said, Barkley has had more pitch time since he's come back than training time......no pleasing some!!!

6 minutes ago, JB said:

I was critical of Luiz in the West Ham game but I’m surprised he’s been dropped. He’s one of our most naturally talented players and always puts a shift in. He was arguably exposed by the performances of others (cough Barkley). He’ll be badly missed, I expect. 

Hope to be proved wrong. 

Maybe he wasnt right for the game for whatever reason, a knock or something.  Do we know he was dropped rather than for another reason?

The last few weeks have really been WLWL for most teams in the top half apart from City. Given that both Arsenal and us both lost midweek, something has gotta give to change that pattern. I can't predict how this is going to go.

2-2 is my prediction (wild guess)

Disappointed to see Luiz dropped rather than Barkley... Hopefully less high pressing will allow Marvelous to tidy up nicely receiving the ball. Barkley should have been dropped no question. McGinn before Luiz. 

Just now, Dale said:

Disappointed to see Luiz dropped rather than Barkley... Hopefully less high pressing will allow Marvelous to tidy up nicely receiving the ball. Barkley should have been dropped no question. McGinn before Luiz. 

I don't think Luiz is dropped. I think he is rested.

2 different things

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JB said:

Hope to be proved wrong. 

I agree, he's not the one i would have dropped

No point going into meltdown over the team selection. We know this team is capable of pulling a result out here, so let’s judge them after the performance not before they’ve kicked a ball. Yes, I’d have rested Barkley after his last couple of performances, and yes I’d have started Doug and probably dropped McGinn for Nakamba. But then I don’t know the players personally and I don’t see them in training all week, or have access to their fitness data. Smith does, and he’s done enough for Villa for me to trust his judgement. 

• Like 2