Pre - Match Thread

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we could play with three out of McGinn/Nakamba/Luiz and Sanson and let Traore and Grealish just attack - but I don't think Smith wants to set up that defensively and just play on the break, it'd be a big change of mentality and we've been successful being a bit more expansive than that.

It's not really defensively.

Liverpool play with 3 defensive midfielders and are one of the best attacking teams in the league.

I'm far from convinced that you actually need to play with a number 10.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think Sanson would make us far more balanced

I think we've seen 8 minutes of sanson compared to the training staff and team mates 1 week, which also isn't enough 

We'll break him in eventually when he's ready and Smith knows when he's ready not us

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

The problem is people believing we have to win every game in order to get Europe 

They've added the pressure themselves rather than just enjoying the season for what it is 

This is so true. 

I don't get it. Its so nice to be able to just enjoy us without massive pressure. Its been over a decade since we've able to do it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think we've seen 8 minutes of sanson compared to the training staff and team mates 1 week, which also isn't enough 

We'll break him in eventually when he's ready and Smith knows when he's ready not us

Evidently he doesn't. Not when he is playing an unfit mcginn and an unfit barkley. 

• Haha 1

You'd swear Barkley didn't score the winner literally in the game before last.😂 Has given Mings a bit of a break at least.

Was brilliant against Arsenal last time out so hopefully he can recapture some of that here and has shaken some of the cobwebs off since returning. Will be tougher with Partey in there, but by the same token Arsenal aren't playing with two players at right back so you'd hope they'll be a bit more stretched in dealing with Jack and subsequently all of Barkley, Watkins and Traore will get a little more joy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not so much - I think he plays a different position to those two - I think if we dropped him his direct replacement would be Grealish or McGinn.

I hope that makes sense, given that both are already playing - just that Ross and those two play really different roles.

Yep, I thought McGinn would be where Barkley is  I think SJM is better there I would have played Luiz/Nakamba and Sanson behind him

• Like 1

It’s amazing how players they haven’t been playing must automatically be better than the ones that have been.  I would have liked to have seen more changes to see what others could offer. But I’m not kidding myself to thing changes automatically means improvement. 

• Like 2

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Evidently he doesn't. Not when he is playing an unfit mcginn and an unfit barkley. 

Like I said before look at traore when he joined, he was way off the pace of the PL

We don't know how sanson is training. That's fact no matter what your opinion of Smith is 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprised Luiz is the one dropped. He has been better than mcginn and Barkley. 

Lets see how this unfolds but i think its a mistake

Have to agree, I thought in the second half against the spammers he was slot better, Berkley the worst with McGinn just so-so

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said before look at traore when he joined, he was way off the pace of the PL

We don't know how sanson is training. That's fact no matter what your opinion of Smith is 

No point debating with the sports scientists/scouts/coaches that are on this forum. If they say Barkley and Mcginn are unfit then they must be. 

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

No point debating with the sports scientists/scouts/coaches that are on this forum. If they say Barkley and Mcginn are unfit then they must be. 

Its amazing that they've genuinely convinced themselves that they know this and our staff don't. 

Just now, Indigo said:

You'd swear Barkley didn't score the winner literally in the game before last.😂 Has given Mings a bit of a break at least.

Was brilliant against Arsenal last time out so hopefully he can recapture some of that here and has shaken some of the cobwebs off since returning. Will be tougher with Partey in there, but by the same token Arsenal aren't playing with two players at right back so you'd hope they'll be a bit more stretched in dealing with Jack and subsequently all of Barkley, Watkins and Traore will get a little more joy.

Barkley scored the winner, but did nothing else in that game. And he has been very poor for the other 2 games we lost. Dropped the wrong player for me, but hopefully he demonstrates his inconsistency perfectly with an inspired performance today. 

Nakamba deserving of a place,  but let's see how he does against better opposition than Newcastle. 

Not feeling optimistic for this one, but if we turn up we've got a great chance

Yep, in terms of fitness, the coaches will know, the sports scientists will know, and the manager will make decisions on that basis.

Barkley is the talking point because of his performances - to get the best out of him we need to use him the right way - in the last couple of games we've probably asked him to do too much of the stuff he's not very good at in midfield.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Traore hadn't played in 9 months. Sanson had been playing every a game for 2 years.