Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/21 at 23:59

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Wank 1 West Barcelona 3

Martinets - 5 - Sorry to say it but what was he doing? Two goals he should have saved, palmed in.

Off Targett - 6 - Just not great. No guile or urgency in possession, crap in defence.

Konsa - 6 - Oddly eager to stand off and let West Ham take shots on goal… rare off game for him.

Muggins - 6 - Good clearance for Antonio's would-be goal, otherwise poor.

Catch - 6 - Can't really remember him doing anything other than getting stood on.

Louise - 5 - Made one good interception in the box half way through the first 45 mins. Did he wander off the pitch after that? ...Seriously, did he?

McGone - 4 - Just not the player he was before his injury. Not convinced he'll ever be the same.

(All) Barkley (No Bite) - 4 - Crap. Just crap.

Grealish - 6.5 - Our boy gets a half point for an assist and the benefit of the doubt for being brilliant all season otherwise.

El Ghastly - 4 - Just pointless. Why? Did nothing.

Watkins - 7 - Well taken goal. Starved of service otherwise, did his best surrounded by dross.

SUBS:

Try Or Nay? - 5 - Meh.

Mahmoud Ahmed Ibrahim Hassan - 5 - Let's call him by his real name because he's already given himself a fake one and it's really not deserved.

Sanson - 6 - Benefit of the doubt. 10 mins to affect the game, rarely got a touch. Here's hoping he starts ahead of McGone on Saturday.

Really ?

Bad day at the office today, but that could be said for the last few games also....

Looked very tired, sloppy and generally 'off it'

I think the culmination of covid, volume of games played and lack of rotation all contribute to this.

No real motm for me, but gave it to Watkins as was a beautifully taken goal, but that was it, as imo he had a part to play in 2 of their goals....

Barkley, if we play well, we can accommodate him, if we play poor, he makes us even worse if that makes sense? Needs to be dropped.

Hopefully Samson can come in a sharpen up the midfield. UTV

• Like 3

Watkins must have wondered what was going on behind him. MOTM comfortably.

Awful performance and it was the Villa of old gifting Lingard such an easy debut. 

We looked knackered from the off and think the fortnight off is catching up with us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

just remember, Everton lost to Newcastle the other day. These games happen in the PL -- we aren't at the level of Man City yet, we can't be expecting to win every match. We will have off days 

I genuinely hate when people pull this off, I don't think ANY reasonable fan thinks or expects this, its the MANNER of the performance.

Weve lost and drawn matches this season which I've not been upset about.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It was 2 Watkins poor controls that led to 2 goals.

For that reason, I don't understand how you can vote him MOTM.

Only saw the second but he lost it on the half way line with so many players behind the ball so hardly hsi fault for that goal. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely hate when people pull this off, I don't think ANY reasonable fan thinks or expects this, its the MANNER of the performance.

Truth be told I get more upset with defeats when we should have won, west ham, Brighton, Burnley (even the draw) , so playing poorly and losing isn't the end of the world. We've had out of 40 halves of football just 5 bad halves of football. 

• Like 1

Deano f***ed up here. El-Ghazi had 3 good game against weak opposition and people were comparing him to Ronaldo. He is a flat track bully and a poor choice to start. If not Traore then Trez should be starting.

Barkley was terrible, should have been rested, what did we buy Sanson for? Seriously though Barkley shouldn't be rested now he should be dropped!

Cash had a poor game too. Luiz got taken off, but he was our best centre midfielder.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Only saw the second but he lost it on the half way line with so many players behind the ball so hardly hsi fault for that goal. 

He played well other than that and scored a good goal - but I thought those two mistakes were criminal.

I'm glad to see him scoring again! 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fully agree. This is the worst we've played this season. I'm with you . It was awful to watch tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

just remember, Everton lost to Newcastle the other day. These games happen in the PL -- we aren't at the level of Man City yet, we can't be expecting to win every match. We will have off days 

We've won 2 in the last 7, and were pretty lucky at Southampton to be fair. If that's onside it's 1 win in 7. Dont think people expect us to win all the time. The way we've lost to Burnley and West ham in the last week is a worry.

Concern for me also is these quickfire doubles we're conceding to Burnley and now West Ham. Both of them scored 2 goals in 3 or 4 min spells, and took the game away from us as a result. We absolutely need to stop doing this, just play it simple for 5 mins after conceding and not go gungho.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

I thought Watkins played really well with very little support.

I think his performance was the only thing to be positive about tonight. No-one works as hard as him with little or no support up front. He very nearly scored another goal before that mistake. 

• Like 2

Thought we looked sloppy from the first minute. Disappointing El Ghazi didn't take his chance and deserved the hook. Frustrated at Barkley once again neglecting his defensive duties, just watching Soucek run past him for the first goal.

Watkins had an up and down night, especially as him losing the ball led to their 2nd & 3rd goals. Martinez is human after all, let's hope it's just a blip.

This is where throwing away points after good performances (West Ham, Brighton etc.) kills you as we were always going to hit a form slump at some point. Let's just hope its a short one. 

Oh...and we've started the Jesse Lingard come back tour

team america vomit GIF

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Off colour. Ponderous. 

Martinez - not at the standard we've seen from him. Parried one into a danger zone in the first half and should have done better with the third. Doesn't look right.

Cash - couple of good crosses, but otherwise a nothing game.

Konsa - misplaced a couple of simple passes, and generally not his best game.

Mings - world class goal line clearance, and otherwise a pretty standard game.

Targett - weakest game of the season for him, didn't have the link up going forward and stuff to get in the game.

Luiz - really out of sorts. A highlight reel block in the first half but after that he couldn't get I the game.

McGinn - off colour again. He's not got the drive we know from him currently, and he's not stamping authority into the midfield. He's still got an eye for a pass but he's also misplacing simple passes and games are passing him by.

Barkley - poor. Really poor. He's obviously not fit and obviously not sharp either. We're basically banking on him pulling out something special because if he doesn't, he's useless 

AEG - so completely anonymous he managed to get subbed at half time.

Grealish - marked out of the game.

Watkins - hard work as ever and got a goal but 2 goals came from him losing possession easily 

Traore - he did something so better than AEG but that's a low, low bar.

Trez - he ran, therefore better than Barkley.

Sanson - cameo but looked brighter than the rest of the midfield.

There's something off at the moment. We looked really ponderous and couldn't create a chance of any value. And we looked burnt out and lacking ideas, and making simple mistakes.

This sums it up. As poor as we were you have to give West Ham some credit. They got the tactics right and played some good football at times. They are 2 points off 4th so credit where’s its due.  We made it for too easy for them though. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

A guy who has no trust in his squad 

Made 1 change tonight bringing in a fresh player, worked a treat... 

Made 1 change, dropping a guy who played well, but leaving in Barkley and McGinn who were awful.

Change for changes sake, rather than addressing the actual problem.

Â