Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/21 at 23:59

Just now, Villa 59 said:

Smith won't be happy tonight. 

Thank goodness we have points on the board early this season. 

Hopefully Sanson for McGinn on Saturday

Well hopefully he isn't happy with himself, first and foremost.

He needs to reflect and learn from games like this. We were very lucky against Southampton, and got punished for being even flatter tonight without any back-up plan at all.

Really poor tactically, on top of all the bad performances and fatigue.

• Like 1

Don’t get the Watkins man of the match. Great goal but on 2 occasions he lost the ball up front and both resulted in goals against. Area for development. We looked flat from the start and although he put El Ghazi in think we’ve been caught by the lack of subs previously and games catching up with players. As long as we learn fine but hope we don’t make these mistakes again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Shame Olly gave Wet Spam two goals on the night but great finish otherwise ..... just needs to work on his hold up play.

The sad thing is there was loads of times when he held the ball up really well tonight, under a lot of pressure . . . but then he **** it about 4 times, 2 of which they scored from.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Worse performance all season, can’t keep selecting the same 12 every game, Barkley and McGinn have been poor for weeks time to change it 

This. McGinn and Barkley were passengers yet again.

Two sometimes three defenders on Grealish and of course we will struggle. Maybe it's better if he can 'float' more?

Martinez should have done better with their third goal, just when we had a foothold in the game.

Watkins MOTM for me, great finish and clever hold-up play on a few occasions.

Typical, we had a chance to cement our place in the top five and we blew it. So predictable.

We go again to quote a former Sage!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

At least once we’ve got Arsenal out of the way we’ll be back to one game a week. It was always going to be difficult playing every three/four days, especially given most of that team had Covid last month. It was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. 

• Like 4

Followed on where we left off v Saints , let’s hope we can get back on track

It’s just minor stuff , Barkley is trying  too hard and trying to be too flash instead of doing the simple stuff , McGinn seems tired , Jack doing too much clever stuff .

West Ham impressed me , their energy levels were far greater than ours and their play was far slicker , didn’t know Moyes could get a team to play pass and move football.

I hope we don’t fizzle out and finish 14th but we are still a work in progress and there are clear signs of quality in the team ... hopefully Sanson will slot in well and inject some legs into that midfield 

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The sad thing is there was loads of times when he held the ball up really well tonight, under a lot of pressure . . . but then he **** it about 4 times, 2 of which they scored from.

Fine lines. He will get better and is a good player. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

I'm not convinced. I prefer him wide.

Well once he moved central we finished the game 1-1. Grealish is better in the centre. Because he gets the ball more. He has to come deep anyway outwide because barkley and mcginn can't be arsed to do so. At least if he is central he can support our attacks in either side when the winger gets the ball. Instead of barkley who either doesn't bother or receives the ball takes 15 touches and loses it. 

Horrible from us, solid game by them. We've improved massively since last season but it's evident we're still a work in progress. 

It was clear that Coufal's relentlessness was exactly the right tool to control and eventuelly demoralize Grealish. We needed some sparks from other players tonight but they were all (except Watkins) just very flat and second best.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Individually Barkley put in a shift to be ashamed of, lazy and half arsed off the ball and criminally careless with it, how he had the front to look angry about being replaced is beyond me.

I don't think we can play Traore, Grealish and Barkley together - that puts too much pressure on Luiz and McGinn - if we're going to play Traore over Trezeguet then Barkley needs to start games from the bench. We need more energy in the middle and someone who can chase a runner.

What message does it send allowing Barkley a free pass every week when he clearly doesnt work or put in any effort off the ball?, a total show pony, most teams cant afford a lazy show pony........Grealish is a bit of a show pony but he works hard most of the time!

I agree with regard to playing certain players together, i think Sanson needs to come in for Barkley to add some solidity to the midfield, Sanson can also play a bit, he would probably offer a better balance.......i cant get over how lazy Barkley is.

Finally, why on earth is El Ghazi starting, he's such a poor player......its so obvious.....

Just now, It's Your Round said:

At least once we’ve got Arsenal out of the way we’ll be back to one game a week. It was always going to be difficult playing every three/four days, especially given most of that team had Covid last month. It was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. 

Most likely explanation. 

Back to basics - stop concerning goals. 

• Like 1

Our sloppy passing and poor tracking is down to physical and mental fatigue, nothing else.

From the start of the game we looked tired and not up to the task at hand. 

Perhaps our preparation was wrong leading up to tonight? Something was off from the start. Puzzling and disappointing.  

• Like 1

Last 3 games has been poor compared to how we've looked for most of the season. Can't help but think we look a bit jaded and lethargic.

Even thou we have a young squad this schedule (combined with Covid) and us relying heavily on 9 players will take a toll. 

• Like 1

Off colour. Ponderous. 

Martinez - not at the standard we've seen from him. Parried one into a danger zone in the first half and should have done better with the third. Doesn't look right.

Cash - couple of good crosses, but otherwise a nothing game.

Konsa - misplaced a couple of simple passes, and generally not his best game.

Mings - world class goal line clearance, and otherwise a pretty standard game.

Targett - weakest game of the season for him, didn't have the link up going forward and stuff to get in the game.

Luiz - really out of sorts. A highlight reel block in the first half but after that he couldn't get I the game.

McGinn - off colour again. He's not got the drive we know from him currently, and he's not stamping authority into the midfield. He's still got an eye for a pass but he's also misplacing simple passes and games are passing him by.

Barkley - poor. Really poor. He's obviously not fit and obviously not sharp either. We're basically banking on him pulling out something special because if he doesn't, he's useless 

AEG - so completely anonymous he managed to get subbed at half time.

Grealish - marked out of the game.

Watkins - hard work as ever and got a goal but 2 goals came from him losing possession easily 

Traore - he did something so better than AEG but that's a low, low bar.

Trez - he ran, therefore better than Barkley.

Sanson - cameo but looked brighter than the rest of the midfield.

There's something off at the moment. We looked really ponderous and couldn't create a chance of any value. And we looked burnt out and lacking ideas, and making simple mistakes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Well once he moved central we finished the game 1-1. Grealish is better in the centre. Because he gets the ball more. He has to come deep anyway outwide because barkley and mcginn can't be arsed to do so. At least if he is central he can support our attacks in either side when the winger gets the ball. Instead of barkley who either doesn't bother or receives the ball takes 15 touches and loses it. 

Maybe - but in an ideal world I'd have an in form Barkley in the middle and Grealish getting goals and assists from wide.

Not the best time to put in the most disjointed performance of the season. Moyes did a job on us there we lacked in every aspect of our game. Grealish completely nullified, El Ghazi a waste of time, midfield bypassed so easily yet again. Really disappointing, but I suppose expected we’d throw in a few stinkers lately after so many games in a short space of time off the back of the covid outbreak.

Im not even that pissed off because we didnt deserve anything. That game was night and day compared to the away game. This season is throwing up a lot of win one lose one sequences at the moment- everyone seems to be at it. Look at Liverpool losing at home again to Brighton. 

Only positive tonight is another goal of Ollie and another assist for Jack. Emi has been a massive success. Plenty of credit in the bank but an awful time to pull that howler when we sensed a chance to get an unlikely point. Never mind. Bedtime

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's better not to comment on things like that. Or you'll most likely get slagged off for being a shite fan and reminded of how far we have come, placing in the table etc.

I couldn't care less, it's the truth. Probably not anyone's fault, as such. Rome wasn't built in a day, blah. We have come a long way and half way IS still progress, but we've not capitalised on our unexpected progress... we are throwing that away, why? Covid is feasible, but feels like an excuse. West Ham are a better team than us right now. Fact. More desire, more skill, more composed, more fluent, more clinical. Well played West Ham.

Â