Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/21 at 23:59

Not impressed. 

My views aren't even about me expecting Top 4 or any of that bollocks, I just expect better from this team as they have shown better for much of this season. 

We're tired, we need rotation and we need the manager to trust in his squad more. I get that we don't have great squad depth, but we still have a squad so we should probably make use of it from time to time. 

Wank 1 West Barcelona 3

Martinets - 5 - Sorry to say it but what was he doing? Two goals he should have saved, palmed in.

Off Targett - 6 - Just not great. No guile or urgency in possession, crap in defence.

Konsa - 6 - Oddly eager to stand off and let West Ham take shots on goal… rare off game for him.

Muggins - 6 - Good clearance for Antonio's would-be goal, otherwise poor.

Catch - 6 - Can't really remember him doing anything other than getting stood on.

Louise - 5 - Made one good interception in the box half way through the first 45 mins. Did he wander off the pitch after that? ...Seriously, did he?

McGone - 4 - Just not the player he was before his injury. Not convinced he'll ever be the same.

(All) Barkley (No Bite) - 4 - Crap. Just crap.

Grealish - 6.5 - Our boy gets a half point for an assist and the benefit of the doubt for being brilliant all season otherwise.

El Ghastly - 4 - Just pointless. Why? Did nothing.

Watkins - 7 - Well taken goal. Starved of service otherwise, did his best surrounded by dross.

SUBS:

Try Or Nay? - 5 - Meh.

Mahmoud Ahmed Ibrahim Hassan - 5 - Let's call him by his real name because he's already given himself a fake one and it's really not deserved.

Sanson - 6 - Benefit of the doubt. 10 mins to affect the game, rarely got a touch. Here's hoping he starts ahead of McGone on Saturday.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's a shame we didn't have any penetration from McGinn or luiz.

Only when we went behind did they even get close to West ham's 18 yard box and Soucek did it once and opened the scoring.

Lingard was fast and direct and hit 2 powerful shots, we didn't.

We were very predictable, slow and ponderous, taking too many touches and then keeping it safe.

Jack got absolutely done by Coufal, well done him.  We didn't get bodies in the box for crosses, we didn't penetrate, just an all round meek and timid performance.

I expect we'll see changes for the next game, rest a few players.

It would be good if we had a slightly different approach too, because we play one way and teams are wising up to it.

Everyone get 5, apart from Mings because of his goal line save.  He gets 6.

Garbage. To me it looks like fatigue. I blame smith fod that as he isnt using subs or the squad depth enough.

Emi barkley grealish luiz were utter gash tonight.

Arsenal will murder us if we perform like that saturday

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

An extremely poor performance. Gave Mings MOTM not because he was good, but because he was less awful than everyone else.

I will respectfully disagree with you on that I thought mings aimless punt and lack of urgency to get out until it was to late to allow Antonio to bring the ball down and lay off for the first goal summed up the overall sloppy lack lustre performance by the whole team

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Just goes to show what happens when a side makes the concious effort to mark Grealish out of the game completely...

They locked him up and we were utterly toothless and without any other ideas...

Alarm bells should be ringing

People keep saying this.

But marking Grealish out doesn't explain players not being able to control or pass a ball to their own team mate. Not passing it to the opposition etc.

• Like 3

Just now, MotoMkali said:

And how does the team play? He gets more assists from the centre. The goals will come if he plays there. But more assists in the middle and at least he doesn't have to play with Barkley if he is in the middle. 

Does he get more assists from the centre ? ( I m sure he doesn't - but haven't checked)...

Really poor. Got what we deserved. Waited too long to move Jack off the left. Even Hoddle called it early in the 2nd half at 0-0. 

Midfield looks shattered.

Smith seems to get it spot on pre game or we lose. In game management is still poor. 

Arsenal will demolish us. 

Had a rubbish day and this tops it. 

Hmm. Ineffectual in attack, disorganised and sloppy in midfield, too easily outpaced in defence. And Martinez had a poor game to top it all. 

Moyes inherited a good but strangely underperforming squad and has got them playing some good football. I see them as at the next level up we need to aim for but we are nowhere near yet as tonight showed.

Watkins MOTM - fought hard throughout and got a great goal.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Maybe this is just me, but 20 minutes in it  was evident our game plan was wrong, they cancelled everything from the left and el ghazi doesn't have the creativity to cause problems from nothing.

Scenario 1, I'd of changed barkley for traore el ghazi for trez and just let them concentrate on Jack but run them ragged on the right with the energy till we break through.

Or when were losing everything in the middle again el ghazi for traore this time with sansom or even nakamba for barkley and move mc ginn forward slightly more right and let them concentrate on the left whilst we run ragged the right..

But I manage a kitchen sales team not a football one so what do I know, but either way for 60 minutes there right side was vulnerable for how much they, and no disrespect cut off our play in grealish. But cash for all his efforts had no one to play off or create from the right to punish them despite his obvious efforts 

Edited by Kbdrum88

Worst performance of the season, truly shocking. Looked lethargic all game. We are a good side when things are going our way and we can play some neat one/twos but we didn't want to fight today and we lost the battles in every position. 

Fair play to them, they played well and did a job on us but we were dire beyond belief.

Only Watkins came out with any credit and he got dispossessed for two of our goals! Says it all! 

El Ghazi literally didn't play A SINGLE pass to a team mate, Martinez threw two in, the midfield 3 were all over the place (but not in a good way). Grealish lookedfrustrated before a ball was even kicked.

Smith gets a very poor from me. It was clear at HT (well long before that) it wasn't working and Jack should have been put central to counteract their game-plan. Barkley should have been hauled at HT along with El ghazi. I think he hasn't got the balls to do this to the high profile players like Barkley n Jack and its cost us today. 

A real poor night. And it was inevitable Lingard would score past us, with a number of our fans laughing at him pre match 🙄 he's not even a bad player and he's shown that tonight, made a few villans look very silly.

Time to start freshening it up a bit Dean come Saturday, some of these look knackered!   

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Good to see Watkins score again, good finish too and nice too see Sanson get some minutes. 

Shame Olly gave Wet Spam two goals on the night but great finish otherwise ..... just needs to work on his hold up play.

• Like 2

Well, that was crap. Not as angry about this one as I was about Burnley, but certainly deflated and a bit puzzled. It was just so far, far, faaaar below the (very high) standards we’ve set for ourselves, you just don’t expect such a mediocre, lacklustre performance from this Villa team anymore. Passing was sloppy, tracking was sloppy, we didn’t really find our shape. We just looked like we were collectively all out of sorts. West Ham played well, and pretty much succeeded at everything they tried. Fair play to them. We wasted most of our good chances trying backheel dummy passes when better, easier options were on. We’re usually quite direct and assertive in our play, today we looked far too cute on the ball and almost hesitant in our decision making. Sometimes, as a fan, you have to throw your hands up and say ‘we’re better than this, but sometimes you have a bad day and this was one of them’. Maybe the energy levels, tension levels, whatever weren’t right. I don’t know. We’ll be back on form again soon, I’m sure. 

• Like 2

Â