Laptop Dock Questions

Genie

I’m upgrading my WFH setup but need something that will also work with my wife’s laptop.

I will probably go into the office and pick up a Dell Thunderbolt Dock like the one below. It connects to my work laptop via USB-C.

822-CC29-E-AEB4-4-C51-9572-CB7-CC98-CE09

My wife’s laptop doesn’t have USB-C, will it all still work if I get a USB-C to (regular) USB converter?

F26182-E9-790-F-45-FA-A629-24-ABCDC1-EA8

Actually, might be a silly question but as my wife’s laptop isn’t dell will it not work?

In theory yes (apart from charging), but it depends on both the dock and the laptop. I've done usb-c docks to usb-a on laptops but that dock might not accept it. They can be iffy at the best of times. Getting a sure answer here will be difficult.

edit: If that is a Dell TB16 dock you need Thunderbolt on the laptop. No way around it

edit2: The Dell D6000 dock can perform the things you want

Edited by Tegis
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tegis said:

In theory yes (apart from charging), but it depends on both the dock and the laptop. I've done usb-c docks to usb-a on laptops but that dock might not accept it. They can be iffy at the best of times. Getting a sure answer here will be difficult.

edit: If that is a Dell TB16 dock you need Thunderbolt on the laptop. No way around it

edit2: The Dell D6000 dock can perform the things you want

Cheers, not sure what the model is that we use. If I can see some variety I’ll try and nab a D6000.

So will my wife’s laptop output video via USB-A, then out to 2 monitors via the dock?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

So will my wife’s laptop output video via USB-A, then out to 2 monitors via the dock?

Depends a little on the age. If it has USB3 it will be fine. USB2 might lag

• Thanks 1

I tried it today and it just wasn’t having it at all, even my very expensive work laptop (with USB3) didn’t want to know.

When I put the thunderbolt into the USB-C It lights up and everything connects.

Via the USB-C to USB-A adapter it didn’t light up and nothing happened.

Could it be the adapter? 

On 02/02/2021 at 19:41, Tegis said:

Which dock did you end up with in the end?

Looking it’s a TB16 😞 

I should have shopped around the other desks a bit more.

Looking at the D6000’s on eBay I’ve never seen those at work.

Edited by Genie

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Looking it’s a TB16 😞 

I should have shopped around the other desks a bit more.

Looking at the D6000’s on eBay I’ve never seen those at work.

Ah, shame that.

Another option could be the Dell WD15 dock. That is a pure USB-c dock, not thunderbolt. That might work with the converter you have for the missus laptop.

Edited by Tegis
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Ah, shame that.

Another option could be the Dell WD15 dock. That is a pure USB-c dock, not thunderbolt. That might work with the converter you have for the missus laptop.

Oh nice, that looks better.

Half the price of the D6000 and has HDMI and VGA ports. I might buy myself one, just wish there was a confirmation that USB-C to USB-A works. 

Edited by Genie

• 9 months later...

Does anybody have any experience of any laptop docks that work with both a windows laptop and a macbook?

With my home office set up now I've got monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam etc all plugged into my work laptop. I can use my Macbook with all that stuff but it's a bit of a faff unplugging everything and plugging it all back in.

Ideally I'd like a docking station that I can just swap them both in and out of with ease and everything would work.

The perfect solution would be something like this, but one that would work with both laptops

vert_dock_filler_2.jpg

But I doubt I'll get something like that that would work with both laptops.

So something like this would also work, but there are so many out there I was hoping someone on here used one and had a recommendation

dell-docking-station-usb-3-hero-504x350.

This is very similar to the one work provides me with, but it doesn't support a macbook so I'm looking to swap it out for one that does

Make sure the PC has a thunderbolt port and you are all set with whatever at full tilt. Macs are a bit picky if you want two external monitors but othervise its usually plug and play.

Dell TB16 or WD19TB are excellent but pricey. We did try a belkin one that worked fine but I don't remember which one

Thread at your service

• Thanks 1

I use USB-C docks for all this (with Chromebooks). Monitors and all other devices plugged in and I just connect the dock to a USB C port and it provides power, network, etc, etc. They cost £20-£30. 

Don't buy any Dell dock. Most only work for windows and bizarrely need you to install drivers.

13 hours ago, limpid said:

I use USB-C docks for all this (with Chromebooks). Monitors and all other devices plugged in and I just connect the dock to a USB C port and it provides power, network, etc, etc. They cost £20-£30. 

Don't buy any Dell dock. Most only work for windows and bizarrely need you to install drivers.

Yep the one I've got is Dell (it's what work gave me) and it has USB-C dock which connects to the MacBook, but it only charges it, it doesn't connect everything else

15 hours ago, Tegis said:

Make sure the PC has a thunderbolt port and you are all set with whatever at full tilt. Macs are a bit picky if you want two external monitors but othervise its usually plug and play.

Dell TB16 or WD19TB are excellent but pricey. We did try a belkin one that worked fine but I don't remember which one

Thread at your service

Cheers!

Didn't realise there was another thread. Apologies @limpid, feel free to delete this if necessary

• 4 months later...

I've used the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock (Gen 2) and lent it to coworkers with Macs for whom it just worked.  There are a couple of ThinkPad only features (MAC address pass-through, mirroring the power button on the dock to the laptop, and Wake On LAN), but otherwise "Universal Compatibility: This dock works with Lenovo, ThinkPad and any other brands’ Thunderbolt™ or USB-C™ enabled laptops".

The specs do manage to say both: "OS Requirements: Win10, Win11" and "Supported operating systems: OS independent", but I can attest that it works with Linux and Chromebook as well as Windows and Mac.

• Thanks 2

Â