Bob Dylan or Neil Young?

rjw63

Dylan or Young?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Dylan or Young?

• Dylan
    • Young

I know it's down to personal taste--and you can't compare and quantify artists like you can footballers--but for me it's Dylan by light-years. Much like some don't "get" Dylan, I never got Neil Young, save for a few odd songs with C, S, & N. Not sure why, but he sort of became the "trendy" influence to name drop some where in the early '90s.

At any rate, 'Freewheelin' and 'Desire' are two great records that immediately spring to mind, but pretty much everything Dylan did between 1962 and 1975 was great to my ears.

I'd take Phil Ochs over Neil Young, too, although he didn't sustain it over the long haul.

I'd like to see Neil Young and Bob Dylan do a duet.

Then I can napalm the studio.

Torn. Dylan has made such a career of pissing off the hippies, but Rockin' in the Free World and Hey Hey My My are better songs than anything Dylan ever wrote.

Always been a fan of Dylan but don't know enough (barely anything) about Neil Young. It has been my belief for a long time that Dylan is the best lyricist ever. I'm willing to give Young a chance though if anyone can recommend an album.

Reccomend a NY album, well I spose that depends on where you want to start

A good starting point would be Decade I suppose, the three album (2 CD) best of (there are classic tracks missing from that too)

A good single album to start with would be Harvest Moon for his solo stuff with Crazy Horse I suppose Rust Never Sleeps or Zuma

People sometimes forget with Dylan how good a songwriter and musician he is whilst they concentrate on his lyrcis, he invented rap, invented metal, put the hate in pop, changed the world, found jesus, survived the whole thing and he's still at it.

He's the worlds greatest living artist.

Neil Young by a mile.

I don't like all of his stuff, but some of it I love.

Dylan, some great lyrics, but most of his music just doesn't do it for me.

I'd get Neil Young's After the Goldrush. It was the one everyone raved about when I asked the same question, and I wasn't disappointed.

But perhaps Decade if you want to play it safe, and hear more of a variety. I often find it's more difficult to get into the individual albums if you go for a compilation first though.

A fitting follow-up to the Who/Zep and Beatles/Beach Boys polls, featuring another two of my musical heroes.

I love them both, but I've gone for the one with most influence and cultural significance - Dylan - even though I probably listen to more Young.

I think these polls are easier for younger people who can come to the 60s artists without preconceptions, and simply choose what they like or dislike. For my generation it's not so simple. For us, these performers are truly iconic, to the point that they literally made us who we are. By way of analogy: to me, someone like Dylan is not just another rock musician, just as Aston Villa is not just another football club.

I can appreciate a contemporary band in the way I can appreciate any football team that plays well. But I will forgive Dylan or the Beatles their mistakes, just as I forgive Villa all the let-downs and frustrations. They are my loves, not simply disposable entertainment.

Who or Zeppelin? Beatles or Beach Boys? Dylan or Young? It's like being asked to choose between your children. :(

I'd get Neil Young's After the Goldrush. It was the one everyone raved about when I asked the same question, and I wasn't disappointed.

But perhaps Decade if you want to play it safe, and hear more of a variety. I often find it's more difficult to get into the individual albums if you go for a compilation first though.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Â