Goal Frame Diameter & Offense

DWG_Pauly

I've noticed a few shots dinging off of the posts and crossbars and was wondering if the powers that be have ever modified (or considered doing so) the diameter of the goal posts in order to increase the likelihood of a post-deflected goal going in as opposed to out?

• Confused 1

Each posts us the same width as the goal line to make the assistants job easier in goal lone decisions. 

They used to sometimes be square instead of cylindrical - I guess that was for the effect the corner of the post would have on rebounds.

Originally the cross bar was made of rope.

That's about all the goal frame knowledge I have.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Each posts us the same width as the goal line to make the assistants job easier in goal lone decisions. 

They used to sometimes be square instead of cylindrical - I guess that was for the effect the corner of the post would have on rebounds.

Originally the cross bar was made of rope.

That's about all the goal frame knowledge I have.

I'd guess that the change from square to round would have made a noticeable difference.

54 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

I've noticed a few shots dinging off of the posts and crossbars and was wondering if the powers that be have ever modified (or considered doing so) the diameter of the goal posts in order to increase the likelihood of a post-deflected goal going in as opposed to out?

if they were bigger, the goal line would have to be bigger (in order for the ball to be in the goal it has to cross the plane of the posts and goal line). that would just be strange, also moving the goal line further back and affecting all dimensions of the pitch.

Edited by a m ole

Most I can find is that square posts were outlawed in 1987. Pretty much everyone used circular posts (or rather elliptical) except the Scots who insisted on square ones. A Euro final at Hampden park caused controversy when two shots hit the post that would have gone in if they were rounded...so they were banned everywhere.

Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/weird-and-wonderful-history-goal-posts

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWG_Pauly said:

Go back to bags for goalposts in my opinion.

"That was post and in!!"

1 hour ago, DWG_Pauly said:

Congratulations on making the most stereotypical American suggestion its possible to make! 😜

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Congratulations on making the most stereotypical American suggestion its possible to make! 😜

I can do more! As of yet, most of my education has come from watching Ted Lasso.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sepp Blatter tried this too when he was making moves in the nineties. He's suggested the width should be made two ball-widths wider and one ball width higher.  

A massive ball bag, in more ways than one.

• Like 1

I was thinking that if they were a bit smaller in diameter, there may be more goals. Didn't think that would effect the entire pitch geometry, but I suppose it would.

I follow ice hockey mostly, and the NHL doesn't see changes to the game as "meddling with the fiber of the sport". 

MLB baseball, on the other hand, is overly cautious to make any changes. Perhaps that's a similar stance for the beautiful game.

I suppose eliminating VAR should be the first order of business?

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

Sepp Blatter tried this too when he was making moves in the nineties. He's suggested the width should be made two ball-widths wider and one ball width higher.  

A massive ball bag, in more ways than one.

That's extremely drastic.

1 minute ago, DWG_Pauly said:

I can do more! As of yet, most of my education has come from watching Ted Lasso.

During USA 94 one of the UK TV companies had as part of their coverage had little snippets before ad breaks of 2 pretend American commentators who would always make little gaffes in their pretend commentary. 

My favourite was in the first ad break after full time it cut to them and one said "I don't know why the team behind are looking so glum, they've still got the third and fourth quarters to turn this around" 

Creased me up anyway. 

Before the tournament there were lots of silly rumours such as they would have to play 4 quarters. No draws were to be allowed, they could have penalty substitutes etc. 

Of course one of the biggest world cups ever and England fail to qualify. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Before the tournament there were lots of silly rumours such as they would have to play 4 quarters. No draws were to be allowed, they could have penalty substitutes etc. 

Of course one of the biggest world cups ever and England fail to qualify. 

That would've gone over well. They are beginning to create a whole new game at that point. 

I did enjoy seeing Becker come up as offense in the last minutes in the match against Burnley. That's another question I had. 

Isn't the logical conclusion that once the goal is made bigger and shots start hitting the woodwork, then there would be calls to make them bigger again. 

I think they are probably the optimum size now. 

Then again imagine how agile and athletic goalies are now compared to keepers defending the same size goals at the turn of last century.  Probably one of the many reasons why games are generally lower scoring than they used to be. 

I think goals per game are about right now.  You wouldn't want to see every game having 6 or 7 goals, but now when you do get one it's magical. 

Most games have probably 3 to 4 goals on average I would think? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Isn't the logical conclusion that once the goal is made bigger and shots start hitting the woodwork, then there would be calls to make them bigger again. 

I think they are probably the optimum size now. 

Then again imagine how agile and athletic goalies are now compared to keepers defending the same size goals at the turn of last century.  Probably one of the many reasons why games are generally lower scoring than they used to be. 

I think goals per game are about right now.  You wouldn't want to see every game having 6 or 7 goals, but now when you do get one it's magical. 

Most games have probably 3 to 4 goals on average I would think? 

In my opinion that's what makes football a very special game.

In cricket you get sever hundred runs, in Tennis you get a point each 15 seconds, in Voleyball you have 3-5 sets of around 50 points each, in hockey you get 7-4s, in basketball you get around 100 hoops in a game. 

Each point becomes largely irrelevant.

In football, you wait for that magical moment or two in a game. You really get that "I don't want to miss it" feeling as opposed to any other sport. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

In my opinion that's what makes football a very special game.

In cricket you get sever hundred runs, in Tennis you get a point each 15 seconds, in Voleyball you have 3-5 sets of around 50 points each, in hockey you get 7-4s, in basketball you get around 100 hoops in a game. 

Each point becomes largely irrelevant.

In football, you wait for that magical moment or two in a game. You really get that "I don't want to miss it" feeling as opposed to any other sport. 

Agreed.  Is there another sport where so much potentially rests on just a single score/point? 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Agreed.  Is there another sport where so much potentially rests on just a single score/point? 

Closest I can think of is Rugby/American Football.

But they still average more tries/touchdowns than goals in football (I think).

3 hours ago, DWG_Pauly said:

excellent idea, to add to this i wish to propose a draft transfer system and also teams being able to sub on defenders when we are defending and more attackers when a team is attacking, this can be achieved by subs standing on the sideline ready to go, and then as soon as a player runs off another can come on.

also i propose all players to wear big shoulder pads and helmets like american footballers to reduce injury issues.

finally:

clean sheets should be called shut outs, balls out of play should be called out of bounds, penalty box should be hotbox, a draw should be called a tie.

finally finally.......clubs should be rebranded to franchises.....

Villa could get some sponsorship from Gillette and a barbecue company or something, we could be called Aston Gillette, the wokest a man can get.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Slightly different angle but boxing... One split moment can decide the entire thing 

And formula one with the average 2 overtakes per race 

• Like 1

Â