Pre- Match Thread

Sulberto21

It is one of those games that can be a real challenge to win. We all know what Burnley are like. A draw wouldn’t be the end of the world given how resolute they are defensively. We hammered them at Villa Park but just didn’t have our shooting boots on, I hope we do tomorrow. Whilst it’s most likely to be a 1-1 or 0-1 Villa, the excellent thing about this team is we know what they’re capable of when on fire. So while I’d not be too despondent with a draw, I’m optimistically hoping we turn on the style and bang a load of goals in. 

A win at Turf Moor tomorrow evening could potentially take us up to sixth place in the table, which would be rather nice. Over the last couple of months, our hosts results have improved to the extent that they are now seven points clear of the relegation zone and looking increasingly likely to extend their stay in the PL for another season. They are a hard working team and what they may lack in style, they compensate for with a fierce determination (rather too fierce on some occasions). Unlike us, they will not have the football purists, purring too often. They will however, prove a difficult side to beat. Their manager would have it no other way. 

We have not lost a league game at Turf Moor since 1972,  since then we have drawn three and won there 2-1 last season. Although they did beat us in the two cup games that we have played there since then in 1974 and 2004. Overall, we have won 41 and have drawn 24 of the 101 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. 

We share the same colours as our hosts and they have sold us some top quality players over the years. Andy Lochhead, Tony Morley and most recently Tom Heaton, spring to mind. This will be a battle between two clubs with defences that are hard to break down. We should have the advantage in the quality of our midfield and our forwards, but no doubt Liverpool thought much the same recently too. Burnley will not make it easy for us. They have  already taken a point off us this season, from a game we started as clear favourites. Winning this one, will compensate for those two dropped home points. Just win it for Wesley and for us Villa! :flag:        

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I think I'd take a point sadly. This is tough. I'd probably take six from the next four games if you offered. They all feel close to 50/50.

Dean Smith would scoff at my offer of a point. Looking forward to this.

I wouldn't.

Player for player we are better all over the pitch. The only Burnley players I would possibly take at Villa are Pope, Tarkowski & McNeil (and none would improve our starting eleven).

It won't be easy but it's a game we should be aiming for 3 points. I think Southampton is the one I'd be satisfied with a point. 8 to 10 from the next 4 followed by a win at Brighton.

• Like 3

Only been to Turf Moor once - an FA Cup game in the 74-75 season. We lost 1-0 to a bizarre freak own goal from a back pass. I got very drunk in the Red Lion afterwards. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Care to elaborate?

Dyche's pre-match prezza 

The fact they stayed up blah-blah-blah 

Twist of fate with the VAR goal that was or wasn't blah-blah-blah 

It maybe kept them up blah-blah-blah 

28 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Dyche's pre-match prezza 

The fact they stayed up blah-blah-blah 

Twist of fate with the VAR goal that was or wasn't blah-blah-blah 

It maybe kept them up blah-blah-blah 

Ah ok thanks....what a 'word removed'.

Hopefully that will backfire on him (them).

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I wouldn't.

Player for player we are better all over the pitch. The only Burnley players I would possibly take at Villa are Pope, Tarkowski & McNeil (and none would improve our starting eleven).

It won't be easy but it's a game we should be aiming for 3 points. I think Southampton is the one I'd be satisfied with a point. 8 to 10 from the next 4 followed by a win at Brighton.

Optimistic?

This will be a tough one. They have had good recent results, and are always tenacious and hard to beat.

Probably depends more on how we play than how they play, as they are quite one dimensional. If we are on our game, up front and at the back, we can get a result, if not ...................

23 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Optimistic?

Maybe, but we have proved we are a match for anyone this season, the only time we've been outplayed all season is - Leeds H (last 35 minutes), Saints H (first half) and City probably deserved to beat us (on chances) - That's quite impressive when you think about it.

We took four points from the reverse fixtures this season - Burnley (1), Saints (0), Hammers (0), Arsenal (3) - We arguably deserved 10 points from those games. 

For sure wont be easy, but I think 8-10 is more realistic than optimistic.

One game at a time though, a win here and it sets us up and confidence will be flowing again🙏 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think I'd take a point sadly. This is tough. I'd probably take six from the next four games if you offered. They all feel close to 50/50.

Dean Smith would scoff at my offer of a point. Looking forward to this.

If the are all 50/50, then we should take 6 points from the next 4 days. 

Anyway, i'd take 12 points, or maybe 9 points if things go badly 🙂 

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

..............Martinez............

Cash...Konsa..Mings..Targett

..................Luiz......................

............McGinn..Sanson.......

Traore...........Watkins.....Grealish

Seriously?

Sanson has just arrived, be at least two games before we see him.

There's no rush...