Pre- Match Thread

Sulberto21

We got the victory there last season against all the odds. Now, with the expectation for us to repeat that feat, it's all about us dealing with the pressure that comes with that expectation. 

It's never easy against this lot, but I'm confident that we won't leave Turf Moor pointless. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I believe that Paul Tierney is the referee.

He refereed the play off final against Derby and missed the stamp on Grealish, but I don't think we've got any major grievances against him.

Edit: He was also the VAR official for the Sheffield United ghost goal. 👍

Pretty sure he was the VAR against Newcastle as well?

Always anxious when facing Burnley. Not for how talented they are, but rather fingers crossed their bunch of cloggers doesn't take out one of ours.  I would be satisfied with a nice 1-0 win and coming out intact.

• Like 2

Having been stuck watching Titanic our last match, I now have the option of working one further day and taking the next flight home and getting to watch the Villa on Wed, OR taking a flight home early as we're looking to be done earlier than expected, but then I can't watch us.

I can't really defend to my gf staying another night after 3 months away, but I really want to watch the footy.

On the other hand we tend to win every single match I don't watch 😂

Since they shipped in 5 at Man City they have only conceded 5 goals in 9 league games and have played us, Liverpool, Man U, Leeds, Arsenal, Everton in that time, so they are not conceding many and their 3 defeats in that run were all 1-0 so it all indicates to this being a low scoring game given we have only conceded 3 goals from open play in our last 8 league games too. That said, the opposition have had 55 shots against them in the last 3 and we had 27 shots in the game at VP so maybe they are riding their luck a little?!

Defend well and we win this, need to be cute on the ball, one touch passing, don't give this dirty lot a chance to take us out, I'm more worried about coming out of this one with injuries tbh than zero points.

I suppose the main decision is whether McGinn comes back in or whether we stick with the winning team that started against Newcastle. I personally think it would be harsh to drop Nakamba, I would be more tempted to rest Luiz but I don't see that happening. Anyway I trust Deano will make the right choice. There's arguments for El Ghazi coming in too, but I think he will keep Jack out wide and get him and Ross doing bits.

So probably - Martinez; Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett; Luiz, McGinn; Traore, Barkley, Grealish; Watkins.

I was going to say 0-2, but I think it's inevitable that either Rodriguez or Wood will find a way past us - so on that basis (and going away from the low scoring stats above), I'll go 1-3 - Watkins 2, Barkley.

• Like 1

Taken from BBC Match Preview....

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Burnley's only victory in the past nine competitive meetings was 1-0 away in the Premier League in May 2015.
  • Aston Villa are looking to record consecutive top-flight wins away at Burnley for the first time since a run of four between 1895 and 1900.
  • Villa have gone 33 top-flight visits to Turf Moor without a clean sheet since a goalless draw 101 years ago.

Burnley

• Each of Burnley's past five Premier League matches ended 1-0 (W2, L3).
  • Having beaten Liverpool last Thursday, the Clarets can win consecutive league games for the first time since June.
  • No team has scored fewer home goals in the Premier League this season than Burnley, with five.
  • Nonetheless, Sean Dyche's side have not conceded more than once in any of their past nine league fixtures.
  • Chris Wood has scored in three of his four league starts against Aston Villa.
  • Ashley Barnes is one short of 200 league appearances for Burnley.

Aston Villa

• Villa have already equalled last season's final tally of nine Premier League victories.
  • If they avoid defeat on Wednesday, Villa will reach 30 points after 18 top-flight matches for the first time since the 2009-10 season under Martin O'Neill.
  • Dean Smith's side have gone three away league games without a win, losing the past two.
  • Emiliano Martínez has kept nine Premier League clean sheets this season, second only to Manchester City's Ederson.
  • Bertrand Traore has scored four goals in his past six Premier League appearances.
  • Thanks 3

football v anti-football

on paper, we should be too good for them , but alas football doesn't always work like that  and they will be full of confidence after beating Liverpool the other day

• Like 1

Aston Villa are looking to record consecutive top-flight wins away at Burnley for the first time since a run of four between 1895 and 1900.

Pah, 'top flight' is an unnecessary qualifier just to make the run more outrageous. We did beat them consecutively away from home in the 20th century 1929 and 1936 but the second game was in Division 2. Still though, that was the only time! We really are generally quite poor at Turf Moor. Hey that rhymes!

I think I'd take a point sadly. This is tough. I'd probably take six from the next four games if you offered. They all feel close to 50/50.

Dean Smith would scoff at my offer of a point. Looking forward to this.

• Like 1