Pre- Match Thread

Sulberto21

This is a bigger game than Newcastle, a tougher opponent and it pushes us right into the top half of the table. 

realistically a win here will put us one victory from safety. No way 40 points will be required this season. 

McGinn coming back full of beans will be so key and can run people ragged, knowing Nakamba can come on and do a solid job against an opponent like this. 

first goal is really important so we have to start quick, moving the ball at pace and get right in front early on and force Burnley to attack from a position of weakness. 

if we do that and counter attack hard it’s a 3-0 win. 

if Burnely score first then a draw is our most likely outcome. 

• Like 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

We've just drawn 0-0 with Burnley at VP so will be similar game at Turf Moor with them getting more set pieces.

If it's a similar game, we'll score four or five goals. We created more chances in that game than in any other game we've played this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

If it's a similar game, we'll score four or five goals. We created more chances in that game than in any other game we've played this season.

I read ages ago way Burnley set up to defend is to allow opposition to get in shots from ridiculous angles that Pope can comfortably save so it's a tactic of theres.

I think a problem in the home game was likes of El Ghazi just constantly scuffing efforts when about 20 yards out but given he and Traore are in really good form we should be more clinical.

Think I said after that game Barkley was a huge miss aswell given the space Burnley concede between midfield and defence, think he scored a few v them playing for Chelsea so they struggle to handle him.

Think it will be like last season, we score two goals and we win the game.

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We always struggle v Southampton, a point there would be a very good result considering they overpower us frequently with their style. We've just drawn 0-0 with Burnley at VP so will be similar game at Turf Moor with them getting more set pieces.

4 points from Arsenal and West Ham is a good return I think.

Careful now OFTR don't want to be putting too much pressure on the club by demanding 10 points from our next 4 games do we?😉

7 points would be a good return. 

Barkley needs to have field day, he can’t stay rusty forever, perhaps some simple effective passes rather than the fancy flicks would be a good starting point. He is potentially very good but has to do it consistently.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smg said:

Barkley needs to have field day, he can’t stay rusty forever, perhaps some simple effective passes rather than the fancy flicks would be a good starting point. He is potentially very good but has to do it consistently.

You seem to have a serious problem with Barkley. This is the third or fourth similar post 

He’s played 2 matches following 8 weeks out with a hamstring injury and positive COVID tests in the squad (we don’t know whether RB was positive or negative)

just be patient, he hasn’t been dogshit by any means but clearly not 100% as would be expected.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

7 points would be a good return. 

Only one less than I've predicted!

After that we have Brighton, Fulham, Sheffield United and Newcastle in our next 7.

We could be close to 50 points with still a good 10 games left of the season.

Not a problem, but your last sentence could describe his career , not dog shit by any means but clearly not 100%. He has flattered to deceive at both Everton and Chelsea which is why neither want(ed)him and yet now he is being elevated to a level that is not yet warranted given his overall performances either side of his injury In my view.

Edited by smg
More thought

45 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

You seem to have a serious problem with Barkley. This is the third or fourth similar post 

He’s played 2 matches following 8 weeks out with a hamstring injury and positive COVID tests in the squad (we don’t know whether RB was positive or negative)

just be patient, he hasn’t been dogshit by any means but clearly not 100% as would be expected.

See my earlier post 

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We'll blow them away just like Newcastle. They may defend better, but it doesn't matter. Once we are in control, our quality in goal scoring will prevail.

I disagree. I don’t think we were actually all that good against Newcastle, they were just abysmal. We will have to play much better to beat a much improved Burnley side. We are clearly capable, so I’m cautiously optimistic but I don’t think we will blow them away at all. 

I would love to see a Jack/Ross masterclass.

Going to be a tough game for sure and I think patience will be key. I would like to see us cut down on crosses and pot shots and play a more possessions based game for this one as Burnley lap up those kind of speculative attempts. Would prefer that we keep moving the ball and try different angles to unlock a goal rather than chucking it in the box only to have one of there monster centre halves smash it clear. Might need some more Traore magic for this one.

• Like 1

They're getting a lot of credit for the Liverpool win but in reality it was a complete fluke. 

Pundits were falling over themselves to call it a masterclass but it was just like the game at Villa Park except they managed to get a penalty on one of the very few occasions that they lumped a ball into Liverpool's box. Klopp was right when he said it was nearly impossible for Liverpool to lose that game based on the run of play

We will have a lot of the ball and will have chances. Just have to deal with the long balls and second balls. 

• Like 1

A tough fixture and a tough one to predict however when thinking about the game two things came to me....

1. We can beat anyone - Not meaning any level but also any style, Smith has built a solid structure that stands up against most and gives you confidence we can win anywhere (Far cry from last year)

2.I cant wait to see this team play again, im really loving the swagger and style of play 

Im going to go 1-0 Villa with Watkins to grab the goal

• Like 2