Pre- Match Thread

Sulberto21

We have a chance of going into the Top 4 on Saturday if we win this. Spurs/Liverpool play each other Thurs and not again until Sunday. It might only be for a day but it would be nice to be Top 4 near the end of January.

Not to mention I want to turn these over very badly. Play El Ghazi, he owes them a goal or 4 after last time out

This is a very tough game. They will be buoyed by beating Liverpool, and we know they will kick us to bits. 

Glad SJM has had a rest as he will be needed to break up play and move the ball in this one. 

Same team as tonight with Marvelous making way for McGinn.

Tough game to call, but I'm going for a narrow Villa win.

• Like 1

1-1. Think similar frustration to what we had at VP.

Would be huge to get an early first goal in this as we played really well up there when we did it last season.

It just gets bogged down in a no space/set pieces game and they've picked up some very good results in recent times doing what they do.

I'd be happy with a point from this and Southampton tbh. 4 points off West Ham and Arsenal please. We'd be then on the same number as we got last season with still 17 matches left to play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

1-1. Think similar frustration to what we had at VP.

Would be huge to get an early first goal in this as we played really well up there when we did it last season.

It just gets bogged down in a no space/set pieces game and they've picked up some very good results in recent times doing what they do.

I'd be happy with a point from this and Southampton tbh. 4 points off West Ham and Arsenal please. We'd be then on the same number as we got last season with still 17 matches left to play.

One win in the next 4 would be a poor return. 

• Like 1

Absolutely have to win this if we have designs on Europe.  

They'll try to repeat what they did last time and just sit back and hack at us. 

I think another 2-0 win is in the cards. 

Watkins

SJM

Tough game this, far harder than it would have been a few weeks ago and harder than their league position would suggest. The two lads up front are a big challenge and we know all about the other kind of threat that Ben Mee poses to us.

Feels like we owe these, we owe them for Villa Park and we owe them for Wesley so a big win would be lovely.

Reality is teams don’t get big wins against Burnley, its a tough game but if we want to push for top 8 we need to win it.

Can’t wait.

• Like 1

Burnley are a anti football side with an old style manager. It's not fashionable and it's not good to watch. But you saw what they did to Liverpool during the week. 

We will need to be at it from the start and take chances when they come. 

Glad McGinn is back for this one as we will need his fight in midfield. 

Burnley are looking really good lately. Well not ‘good’ because it’s horrible to watch, but hard to break down and dangerous on the counter. They will finish comfortably clear of the relegation scrap so let’s not underestimate them - they are 15th now and I think they’ll overtake Palace, Leeds and maybe Wolves by the end of the season for a midtable finish.

All that being the case I don’t think we will be peppering them like earlier in the season but hoping we have the quality to win it.

• Like 2

If the game is remotely like the match at VP we will win, or at least should.

Hopefully Watkins gets on a scoring run now, and given that we appear to have goals coming from all over the rest of the pitch that would make us a difficult proposition for any team.

If we spend our time lobbing balls into burnley's box it will be a waste of time..they relish those balls with the defenders they have..we have to play smart and play it on the floor and test them from long range

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

If we spend our time lobbing balls into burnley's box it will be a waste of time..they relish those balls with the defenders they have..we have to play smart and play it on the floor and test them from long range

But we never do that do we? We play football and create chances and it will be too much for them 0-2

We play this game exactly like the prior fixture against them be patient and eventually we will score, we had something ridiculous like 29 chances on goal last time it was unfortunate for one not go in a solid 1-0 or 2-0 here hopefully 

12 hours ago, One For The Road said:

One win in the next 4 would be a poor return. 

We always struggle v Southampton, a point there would be a very good result considering they overpower us frequently with their style. We've just drawn 0-0 with Burnley at VP so will be similar game at Turf Moor with them getting more set pieces.

4 points from Arsenal and West Ham is a good return I think.

Careful now OFTR don't want to be putting too much pressure on the club by demanding 10 points from our next 4 games do we?😉