Match Thread: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

I can't name a player that I think isn't performing. Grealish and Barkley had somewhat slow starts, but are doing great now. The back 4 have been solid, especially Mings and Targett. Luiz and Nakamba haven't put a foot wrong. Watkins looking sharp! Traore is doing great as well and what a bloody goal that was!

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

I think they're different players. Trez is more intense, but Traore is a better footballer all around imo. I prefer Traore out of the two tbf, but it's a tough call.

Trez in games when they have a real attacking threat that side. When we need to win and push teams back, traore all day

• Like 2

Great half. I did think our 3 creators in Grealish, Barkley and Traore looked really poor for a large portion of that but then Jack and Traore turned it on towards the end. Was a superb finish. 

Overall though it's comfortable, I much prefer Luiz in the deeper role than the one he's doing now. Nakamba is extremely safe. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's tough to see where Newcastle go from here. The players are wearing boots, and don't appear to be dusty. What else can they do? 

You've forgotten the real secret - thaw sleeves aren't rolled up yet. Watch out.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's tough to see where Newcastle go from here. The players are wearing boots, and don't appear to be dusty. What else can they do? 

And their sleeves appear to be sufficiently brief enough to not require any rolling.

Edited by One For The Road

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Roll up their sleeves. Tactics 101, mate.

Happy with that. Think we've controlled the game but were maybe a bit too casual at times, but we've took our two chances and are 2-0 in the lead. The defence has been solid, as has Marv in front of them. I've found Dougie to be a bit sloppy, and Barkley too but Barkley needs games to find his form again. Traore has been bright and his finish was a beautiful finish, and Jack on the other side hasn't been at his best but still shows his quality. Really happy for Watkins, he's been our best player with Targett for me and deserves his goal.

Barkley and Luiz the only ones performing a bit under par - Nakamba has slotted in well but they haven't realised that they need to pressure him when he's on the ball. Lack of homework about the opposition doesn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are not even at our best yet.

Barkley obs not proper yet either.

he seems a little slow footed today, but that's to be expected. in terms of his plays etc I think he's been pretty decent though overall and is looking like he's growing more and more into the match.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We are simply a joy to watch!

We are, when we're the better team. I just love it. That's why I really don't enjoy the City and Pool matches. I just don't want to watch us as the underdog.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I've not been too convinced by the idea, but if there was ever a time, this is the game to try Davis up top with Watkins playing off him, IMO.

I think that would run them ragged.

Maybe in the later stages.

Ramsey on for Barkley and Davis for who?

4 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

As much as I love Trez he isn't as good as Traore, but his workrate IMO has made Traore realise he has to work for his position in the team. Our entire team is absolutely up for it tonight though

Trez fits in well against clubs in the top-half. Traore the clubs in the bottom-half. 

Familiar sight of a Bruce team that does a solid job of pressing as a team for the first 5-10 minutes but after that it all falls apart and they either revert to pressing individually or get too cautious and fall back too deep. Or both.

Can't say I miss that.

• Like 1

Actually thought we started rather sluggishly, Barkley and Grealish (very unusal of course) looked a bit off the pace.

Nakamba done well, plays it simple but chooses most of the time the right option.

Brilliant goals, chuffed for Watkins deserves it so much. Newcastle are so bad that not only did Bert use his right foot, he **** scored with it as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are not even at our best yet.

Barkley obs not proper yet either.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  

We’ve seen us play much better but we even do average in a stylish way.  

Just make sure we do the same in the second half or better.

Dont concede and score some more...I don’t ask for much 😉

• Like 1