Weekend Football 22/24 January

andykeenan

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Only saw it the once but looked a huge dive from Cavani for the free-kick that won it.

Fernandes took it well but from my very superficial understanding of GKing Alison has to trust his wall there and look after his side better. 

Fernandes couldn’t believe his luck with all that goal to aim at

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

All the squads at the top are expensively assembled. 

But some much more than others.

And Man City and Man Utd are in a league of their own in that sense.

Edited by villalad21

I thought Man. United were pretty dangerous all game tbh. Liverpool's only real spell of dominance was at 2-2 when Salah missed the one on one, turned out to be a big miss.

Williams was clear weak link at back so seems strange Liverpool are trying to fudge that as I assume Van Dijk won't be back until about May so season will likely be all but over for them at that point.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But some much more than others.

And Man City and Man Utd are in a league of their own in that sense.

Go back to pre season and hardly any of the pundits (or many on here) would've tipped Man. United to finish above Liverpool this season. Gap was what 30 points last season.

Man. United win at home to Sheffield United and Liverpool lose to Spurs in midweek and would be 9 point gap so in pretty good shape at mid point of season.

At this point don't see Man. United finishing lower than 2nd tbh (unless they lose likes of Rashford and Bruno F to injuries) so really OGS first two seasons have been 3rd and 2nd so better than what Mourinho did despite spending loads there. Needs to add a cup but they've obviously got squad to go deep in the competitions.

Edited by VillaChris

It is an expensive squad, but a big chunk of it is on players who really haven't pulled their weight, IMO. The squad cost £628m, apparently. Pogba and Maguire account for £170m of that :D 

Either way, as pointed out above, compared to expectations at the start of the season, it's undeniable he's doing a good job there at the moment,

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Go back to pre season and hardly any of the pundits (or many on here) would've tipped Man. United to finish above Liverpool this season. Gap was what 30 points last season.

Man. United win at home to Sheffield United and Liverpool lose to Spurs in midweek and would be 9 point gap so in pretty good shape at mid point of season.

At this point don't see Man. United finishing lower than 2nd tbh (unless they lose likes of Rashford and Bruno F to injuries) so really OGS first two seasons have been 3rd and 2nd so better than what Mourinho did despite spending loads there. Needs to add a cup but they've obviously got squad to go deep in the competitions.

That's only because Liverpool doesn't have any centre backs

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's only because Liverpool doesn't have any centre backs

Liverpool beat likes of Spurs and Leicester in recent times with similar options.

Man. United wouldn't be first team in history to finish above a stronger opponent who's struggled with injury.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Liverpool beat likes of Spurs and Leicester in recent times with similar options.

Man. United wouldn't be first team in history to finish above a stronger opponent who's struggled with injury.

They'll never in a million years win it.

I recon City will be 10+ clear of them come end of the season

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I didn't say they'd win it either. They're in the mix for now but got some hard games next month so potential for Man. City to move a few points clear.

Not sure how OGS finishing 2nd and winning a cup is anything other than a good season though.

Mourinho got lauded for winning europa in his first season, they finished 6th that year.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think you are right but they are definately in the mix. I didn't realise how close Everton were to the top either

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I didn't say they'd win it either. They're in the mix for now but got some hard games next month so potential for Man. City to move a few points clear.

Not sure how OGS finishing 2nd and winning a cup is anything other than a good season though.

Mourinho got lauded for winning europa in his first season, they finished 6th that year.

He's not doing badly is he

41 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That Sheffield Wednesday kit is horrendous

You do wonder when/if Wednesday will ever be good again. Its over 20 years since they were last top flight.

When I was growing up I used to think of them only marginally smaller than Villa.

They have done nothing for years and Hillsborough is a crumbling relic of a bygone era.

• Like 2

Owners an ass I think, the shirt is from his own sports company that he made up to try and fleece the fans, it was £90 at launch but down to £60 now

I went to Hillsborough for our first game of the championship and really didn't enjoy it, it was August 30° and was so stuffy on the concourse, no air at all, they still try and charge decent teams £45 a ticket too 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Owners an ass I think, the shirt is from his own sports company that he made up to try and fleece the fans, it was £90 at launch but down to £60 now

I went to Hillsborough for our first game of the championship and really didn't enjoy it, it was August 30° and was so stuffy on the concourse, no air at all, they still try and charge decent teams £45 a ticket too 

Bramall Lane is  miles better ground imo.

They got close twice under Carlos Carvahal but overspent and lost in play offs....sound similar? Luckily we quickly got new owners, they didn't.

Bramal lane is now a far better ground. They have reinvested in the stadium and Wednesday have not.  Leppings Lane should be raised to the crowd with and rebuilt with a prominent memorial next to it. It is so eerie when you go into the lower tier  it is basically the same since the disaster apart from it being seats rather than standing.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â