General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They go over to the screen and they don't know what they're looking at.

They can't release the audio because it would open them up for mockery.

He just gave a pen against Liverpool for the striker chucking himself down onto a defender and kneeing him in the head.

I think he'd already decided that it was all one movement - that the slide by TAA constituted a single attempt to tackle the player - once he'd done that, the only think he needed to confirm on the screen was that there was some contact. I think he was wrong in that decision, but I don't think it was VAR that made him wrong.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

Feel dirty but can't help but agree with Souness.  Refereeing is absolutely diabolical  at the moment and something needs to change 

A broken clock pretending to be hard is right twice a day.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

I think the answer is to give each team 3 VAR reviews each per game that they decide when to use. 

That way it weeds out all but the most contentious decisions, so we don’t have the farce of not celebrating every goal because it’s a chin hair offside, plus the refs have to take responsibility for their decisions again (i.e do their job) because they will have no idea if the teams will use their VAR token.

Either that or bin VAR entirely, which i’d be more than happy with.

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They go over to the screen and they don't know what they're looking at.

They can't release the audio because it would open them up for mockery.

He just gave a pen against Liverpool for the striker chucking himself down onto a defender and kneeing him in the head.

I agree it was never a penalty, but if it was given, can someone explain to me why the Liverpool player wasn’t sent off? He’s in a goal scoring position there surely?

19 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I agree it was never a penalty, but if it was given, can someone explain to me why the Liverpool player wasn’t sent off? He’s in a goal scoring position there surely?

It really depends on how it's interpreted. As @OutByEaster? suggests, I think the ref's interpretation is that the whole sequence from the slide in was a single action., therefore a foul and a penalty, in which case it was also an attempt to play the ball and so no red card.

If the penalty was for somehow fouling the player by being kneed in the head, it'd have actually have had to have been a red as he wasn't attempting to play the ball frokm the ground. He didn'#t even give a yellow though which is just wrong.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I think the answer is to give each team 3 VAR reviews each per game that they decide when to use. 

Not to specifically pick on you, as this sort of suggestion seems to crop up fairly regularly.  But I can't see how this improves matter.  There's an average of about 3 goals per game, so even with two challenges per team you'll still be in a place where any goal is challenged anyway.  And limiting chances to apply VAR isn't going to make any material difference, the issues we've had are down to the (in) application of the laws.

It's worth also noting that NFL moved to a system a few years ago where any goal scoring play (or turnover, but that has nothing equivalent in association) was automatically reviewed in addition to the available challenges coaches had.

I don't know if this is just me being one eyed or if it's real.

We seem to be held to different standards when challenging for the ball.

Today for example (similar in all games) when receiving the ball, there's an opposition player on us like a rash. Feet in and arms all over.

As soon as any of our players do anything remotely similar it's a free kick to them.

Are we suffering from some unconscious bias levelling from the refs because of the perception of Grealish?

On 21/02/2021 at 10:31, HKP90 said:

That way it weeds out all but the most contentious decisions, so we don’t have the farce of not celebrating every goal because it’s a chin hair offside, plus the refs have to take responsibility for their decisions again (i.e do their job) because they will have no idea if the teams will use their VAR token.

Either that or bin VAR entirely, which i’d be more than happy with.

No thanks, we already have enough breaks, and time wasting and confusion in the ground when we go back. The simple solution is.

A) Bin VAR.

B ) Sack Dermot Gallagher and his pals, Mike Dean, Jon Moss and all the other useless muppets.

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No thanks, we already have enough breaks, and time wasting and confusion in the ground when we go back. The simple solution is.

A) Bin VAR.

B ) Sack Dermot Gallagher and his pals, Mike Dean, Jon Moss and all the other useless muppets.

Dermot Gallagher doesnt work for the Premier League or involved with the referee association

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dermot Gallagher doesnt work for the Premier League or involved with the referee association

For 14 years. Good to see you've got your finger on the pulse rodders :D

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

Kevin Friend. How does he still get premier league games. And big ones at that. 

Veltman threw himself to the ground last night when Milivojevic blatantly pulled out of any tackle and was about 5 yards from making contact with Veltman. Free kick given in a dangerous area. Milivojevic literally collapsed to the ground in shock it was given. This, the same ref who booked Grealish for diving after his fantastic assist for Lansbury away at palace last season.

Anyone else think there's more to it in respect to the reasons why we haven't seen him since? He hasn't reffed us since then, has he?

On 21/02/2021 at 10:31, HKP90 said:

Absolutely not the answer. It will be 'refs' reviewing it. These same refs who looked at areola belt the Sheffield United player high across the shins and decide he 'got enough of the ball'. 

40 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Kevin Friend. How does he still get premier league games. And big ones at that. 

Veltman threw himself to the ground last night when Milivojevic blatantly pulled out of any tackle and was about 5 yards from making contact with Veltman. Free kick given in a dangerous area. Milivojevic literally collapsed to the ground in shock it was given. This, the same ref who booked Grealish for diving after his fantastic assist for Lansbury away at palace last season.

Anyone else think there's more to it in respect to the reasons why we haven't seen him since? He hasn't reffed us since then, has he?

we've got 2 i think who seemingly dont ref us anymore, friend is the one but i cant remember the other

the benefit of that is we get moss and mike dean....

Â