Buying a PC

MCU

Didn’t particularly want to create a new thread but my beast of a computer decided to pack up this week (had a good run). Once lockdown is over I’m going to take it over to somebody who knows what’s blew on it.

In the meantime, I haven’t got the time or patience to build my own but I bought my original desktop from overclockers. Are they still any good?

If it narrows it down I’m not exactly a hardcore gamer, world of Warcraft, Witcher 3 for now so guess I don’t need much in terms of power. 

45 minutes ago, MCU said:

Didn’t particularly want to create a new thread but my beast of a computer decided to pack up this week (had a good run). Once lockdown is over I’m going to take it over to somebody who knows what’s blew on it.

In the meantime, I haven’t got the time or patience to build my own but I bought my original desktop from overclockers. Are they still any good?

If it narrows it down I’m not exactly a hardcore gamer, world of Warcraft, Witcher 3 for now so guess I don’t need much in terms of power. 

Getting a pre-built one is almost the only way right now to get a new generation graphics card (Nvidia RTX 3000 series or Radeon RX6000 series) I would suggest trying to get one of those in your price-bracket as the preformance-leap from the earlier generation is quite significant and would last you a very long time.

14 hours ago, Tegis said:

Getting a pre-built one is almost the only way right now to get a new generation graphics card (Nvidia RTX 3000 series or Radeon RX6000 series) I would suggest trying to get one of those in your price-bracket as the preformance-leap from the earlier generation is quite significant and would last you a very long time.

Cheers man, you'll have to forgive me... so search for the PC by graphics card you mentioned then?

3 hours ago, MCU said:

Cheers man, you'll have to forgive me... so search for the PC by graphics card you mentioned then?

Exactly. The released cards so far are:

GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
GeForce RTX 3070
GeForce RTX 3080
GeForce RTX 3090 (Stupid expensive)

Radeon RX 6800
Radeon RX 6800 XT
Radeon RX 6900 XT (Stupid expensive)

I think there are cheaper 3050 cards coming but as cards are golddust at the moment and both brands can't keep up with demand, who knows when that will happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

Unfortunately your PC chose the wrong time to break as pretty much all video cards and some of the newer cpus are in very short supply/massively overpriced.

Can I ask what your budget is? 

If you have the money the above suggestions for graphics cards would be exactly the things to go for but I'd imagine any pre-built with them included will be well over £1000.

It also really depends on what kind of monitor you have - is it 1080p, 1440p, 4k and what's it's refresh rate?

If you're playing on an old 1080p display at 60hz then you wont see a lot of the benefits that a newer graphics card has to offer.

Yes, I’ve read about the high demand / hard to get GFX card issue atm!

going to order this...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-pyrite-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-10400f-nvidia-rtx-3070-gaming-pc-fs-1eh-og.html#t=c1d!g1

11 hours ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

Yeh that's not a bad deal all considered. 

I wouldn't be happy with that brand of power supply personally but you're covered by their extended warranty (and they don't state the make of motherboard)

I'd definitely save £100 though, get rid of windows and just buy a cheap licence key online. 

Bear in mind that pc is deffo overkill for Wow and the witcher 3 though! You'll be averaging 60fps at 4k on the witcher or over 100fps at 1440p so make sure you have a decent monitor. 

Good shout on the Windows.

I've had a little look at monitors... narrowed it down to MOBIUZ EX2510 and AOC24G2U... relatively cheap. What do you think?

Â