Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

By way of a reminder on what Sanson brings to the midfield...

On Fbref he's in 99th percentile for pressures and successful pressures. If we hadn't already signed him people would be raving about those numbers in Summer Transfer thread

• Like 4

I actually think we'll see McGinn miss out as the season progresses.

I can see Sanson and Buendia as the two CM's in a 4-3-3 with Nakamba/Luiz/New DM sitting behind them, switching to Sanson and the DM with Buendia as the AM in a 4-2-3-1

I'm currently having a lot of fun playing around with an online formation builder which is helping me deal with the loss of you know who :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

I actually think we'll see McGinn miss out as the season progresses.

I can see Sanson and Buendia as the two CM's in a 4-3-3 with Nakamba/Luiz/New DM sitting behind them, switching to Sanson and the DM with Buendia as the AM in a 4-2-3-1

I'm currently having a lot of fun playing around with an online formation builder which is helping me deal with the loss of you know who :)

McGinn thrives in a 433, part of the reason his form dropped off a cliff last season was our change to a 4231 to accommodate Barkley, who did not offer anything defensively and forced McGinn to play more defensively.  Buendia plays best when he's able to drift around and you can't really do that as a CM in a 433.

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

McGinn thrives in a 433, part of the reason his form dropped off a cliff last season was our change to a 4231 to accommodate Barkley, who did not offer anything defensively and forced McGinn to play more defensively.  Buendia plays best when he's able to drift around and you can't really do that as a CM in a 433.

I think Sanson will prove to be better than McGinn in CM. Where do you put Buendia if not CM then, on the RW? So you don't play Bailey? All bloody great problems to have :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rossco76 said:

So Watkins or Ings doesn't play. Like I said, good problems to have!

Well I think the great thing about this is we aren’t going to be dependent on a single lineup. We will ebb and flow as the competition dictates. Yes, it’s a very good problem to have and we have so many variations to really test opponents.

29 minutes ago, Rossco76 said:

Like I said, Sanson and the DM with Buendia as the AM in a 4-2-3-1

Will be Sanson and McGinn. Smith rates McGinn more than new DCM signing obsession on here that probably won't happen

7 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

By way of a reminder on what Sanson brings to the midfield...

I feel that our fanbase needs to see this video and other pieces on Sanson to realise how important he could actually be for us when he's at full fitness.

The stats on pressures and successful pressures alone mean that he could be super important to our midfield. In games where we're expected to be on the front foot and don't necessarily need constant protection in front of our back four, I feel the below could be one way we could set up to maximise our attacking threat.

image.thumb.png.9a214a9f6842448fc61170761b1650f3.png

While I admit there are concerns around defensive responsibility in the above, it does feel a little bit Harlem Globetrotters with all that attacking potential 🤤

I think it’s really harsh to judge Samson from what we have already seen. Joining in January and straight in to a team that was suffering post covid and a lack of form. Then picking up injuries.  

I thought the first half against Wolves was a good example of what he could do.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I feel that our fanbase needs to see this video and other pieces on Sanson to realise how important he could actually be for us when he's at full fitness.

The stats on pressures and successful pressures alone mean that he could be super important to our midfield. In games where we're expected to be on the front foot and don't necessarily need constant protection in front of our back four, I feel the below could be one way we could set up to maximise our attacking threat.

While I admit there are concerns around defensive responsibility in the above, it does feel a little bit Harlem Globetrotters with all that attacking potential 🤤

I think that's a top 6 team right there

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

That does look a very decent line up on paper there. With regards the defensive side of the team, all of those forward players and midfield players are all good at pressing. So we will hopefully be defending further up the pitch, if they can all work in a disciplined press. My one concern would be against the teams like West Ham or Burnley who are more physical and may cause bigger problems for us at set pieces. This would be where we could do with a bigger more physical presence to sit in the 2 in front of the back four to give some added strength and height to counter against the aerial threat of those types of teams that may bully us off the ball.

39 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

To be fair I don't see a defensive responsibility issue here.

Watkins, ings and buendia all have top level working and pressing stats, those 3 will be a nightmare with their workrate and pressing.

The only issue I see is a lack of proper DM.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The only issue I see is a lack of proper DM

So disrespectful to Nakamba who played 90 and we beat Leeds Arsenal Spurs Chelsea and wouldn't play him or a new DM over that team posted most games anyway but Nakamba is a useful option when required

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

So disrespectful to Nakamba who played 90 and we beat Leeds Arsenal Spurs Chelsea and wouldn't play him or a new DM over that team posted most games anyway but Nakamba is a useful option when required

Yeah i like nakamba, great option if required, my point was that if we really want to push for top 6 or 7, imo nakamba isn't the right DM.

That's all.

Just now, MaVilla said:

Yeah i like nakamba, great option if required, my point was that if we really want to push for top 6 or 7, imo nakamba isn't the right DM.

That's all.

I don't want us to have a DM playing every week and I don't think Smith does either. I prefer double pivot 8s and I think people obsessed with DM because how horribly exposed we were in many games that lazy **** Barkley played

42 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Reliable ball retention from the midfield two will be a big issue there. McGinn and Sanson both sub-80% passers. Also both positionally forward thinking so not sure the discipline is there to not leave space behind.

You could maybe get away with both in a 4-3-3 with a positionally solid DM with better ball retention (or in a 4-2-3-1 with Sanson in the 10 role)

I think the above is what we'll be looking at eventually with McGinn and Sanson rotatating and, as it stands Luiz or Nakamba but hopefully a significant upgrade, alongside.

• Like 2

Â