Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't want us to have a DM playing every week and I don't think Smith does either. I prefer double pivot 8s and I think people obsessed with DM because how horribly exposed we were in many games that lazy **** Barkley played

The ideal would be a Nakamba with better passing/possession stats. Or Luiz with Nakamba's defensive abilites. Searching fbref quite a few names seem to fit that mould that have been mentioned previously in transfer threads, eg. Kamara at Marseille, Pape Sarr, Rongier, Djibril Sow, Bissouma.

2 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I suspect he'll be a big player for us this season, midfield three for Watford (if he's fit) of Mcginn, Marv and Morgan

Correct me if I'm wrong but my biggest problem with this midfield three (or any other combo of Mcginn, Nakamba, Sanson, Luiz, Hourihane or a new DM) is that this effectively means that one of Watkins, Ings, Bailey or Buendia will have to be dropped to the bench.

Maybe my brain can't process all the talent we have on our books at the moment but as soon as we don't have a classic "Number 10", we would have to lose one of those four players. Unless we see Buendia as an 8 and I think that's unlikely (IMO).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

When we signed Sanson I remember his 'pressing' ability being described as outstanding. When he's fully fit his stamina and willingness to close down opposition players will be a real plus. 

I’d seen a bit of him before he joined us. He’s a better player than a lot of people think, presses well in midfield and can carry the ball well too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but my biggest problem with this midfield three (or any other combo of Mcginn, Nakamba, Sanson, Luiz, Hourihane or a new DM) is that this effectively means that one of Watkins, Ings, Bailey or Buendia will have to be dropped to the bench.

Maybe my brain can't process all the talent we have on our books at the moment but as soon as we don't have a classic "Number 10", we would have to lose one of those four players. Unless we see Buendia as an 8 and I think that's unlikely (IMO).

You're Bob on, I'd expect a couple of formations this season where we may see Ings and Ollie upfront together, I just think for the Watford game we will see that midfield with Ollie, Ings and Buendia up front, only because I don't think Bailey would have had enough time in the country before match day 1. Could be completely wrong mind, but, it's exciting times to have so many quality options 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Reliable ball retention from the midfield two will be a big issue there. McGinn and Sanson both sub-80% passers. Also both positionally forward thinking so not sure the discipline is there to not leave space behind.

You could maybe get away with both in a 4-3-3 with a positionally solid DM with better ball retention (or in a 4-2-3-1 with Sanson in the 10 role)

I think the above is what we'll be looking at eventually with McGinn and Sanson rotatating and, as it stands Luiz or Nakamba but hopefully a significant upgrade, alongside.

Swap McGinn out for Luiz and ball retention improves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Swap McGinn out for Luiz and ball retention improves.

McGinn is shit in a double pivot its as if hes unsure of his role and just looks lost,  much better in a 4-3-3 but I think he'll fall down the pecking order this season.

29 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

The poor guy has literally had no pre-season at all. So effectively he's no further forward at all and still a huge unknown.

??????

Think he might have played in the practice game v Crewe.  He might have got 45 mins v Sevilla hardly think thats going to be deal breaker for him having a good season or not.

Had an injury just before we brought him - then another after a couple of games for us. Needs to get and keep himself fit first.

Â