If Barry left, would you 'boo' him on his return ?

BOF

What would you do?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• I would boo him til my throat was sore
    • I would clap him, he will always have my respect
    • I would stay silent

Yorke played badly in a single game becasue he no longer felt an attachment to the club and in order to force a move.

Barry had a bad game at a time when he was under pressure from large sections of the media.

Yorke played at a much lower level than his team mates in the game before his move.

Barry was by no means the only Villa player who underperformed against Wigan.

There are differences LTLOAV if you choose to see them.

For me, it was wrong to boo Yorke (at least until his badge kissing) and it would be equally wrong to boo Barry.

I think it's pretty well documented that you don't like Barry, you wanted him dropped before the speculation started, you've been desperate for him to leave since the first links came up, and you've never rated him as a player. The idea that others opinions are full of bias and therefore irrelevant is silly. It is other peoples opinions that frame our own, that's why I still bother replying to your posts even though I believe your mind is closed.

If you don't believe that Gareth Barry deserves our respect for the years he's spent here, well I think that's a shame and I feel sorry for you in that we have been lucky enough to have seen a player that has been the clubs best servant since Gordon Cowans stopped playing and you've never stopped to appreciate him.

You're fully entitled to that opinion though, just as I am entitled to mine and tomaszk his. Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you will. I look forward to seeing your choice of smiley and the name of the imaginary club you put me into.

Oh look another Barry cheerleader :clap: , erm as i said you can't have one thing for Barry and another for Dwight, it's been confirmed by Mon that Gareth was effected by the speculation and therefore performed poorly against Wigan, so the specualtion had a DIRECT LINK to his performance, just like the speculation had a direct link to Dwight's performance at Everton, because you can't tell me he would have played that way had he not been linked with Manure, so what's the difference?, NOTHING, but because you and your pal think Barry is worth more than life it's self you paint a different picture, and excuse me i keep having to ask you this when you roll out that tired old line regarding me "not liking Barry" can you find me a quote where i've expressed those feelings please?, because i can't remember me ever saying i hated the guy, but just because i feel we can go on without him that's obviously a reflection of "hate" lol, at the end of the day i've only said that if Yorke was a much better player for us and still got booed than Gareth deserves the same, sorry if that doesn't fit into your dream of rolling out the red carpet and scattering rose petals on the ground for him as he steps off the scousers coach on his return.

Mellberg gets cheered off the pitch when he moves and some want to boo Barry!! WHAT A JOKE!

This is SOOOO different it's madness.

Mellberg saw out his contract and left this club to go abroad and see out the end of his career at the age of 30. The fact he was not a guaranteed starter next season is also a factor. The man gave us his best years, thanked us and wanted to experience another league. Similar to a Legenday Man United Keeper in 99.

Barry is our captain, was convinced by MON to stay two years ago, by promosing him this club would make progress, we've gone from 16th to 11th to 6th. All promises of progress have been met. He was an ok player 2 years ago, Martin has made him an England regular

...and now he turns around and says thanks for your help a top 4 club wants me now. I know you've delivered what your promised but I'm off. It's to Liverpool too, they will never win anything meaningful again. If it was United I could at least understand a bit, you're gonna win a shit load of trophies with them.

Our Captain ditching our club to go to a direct rival at the first opportunity. How can people not be angered by this, I really don't know. The poll doesn't lie though. I'm in the minority.

Our Captain ditching our club to go to a direct rival at the first opportunity. How can people not be angered by this, I really don't know. The poll doesn't lie though. I'm in the minority.

Nobody wants him to go but anybody watching him week in and week out over the last 10 years will know he is a Gent and has showed loyalty by sticking with us this long, yes! it has come straight after MON has transformed him and yes it does cheese me off but i think you need to take a chill pill because the reactions you are showing towards Barry are not deserved and if you do happen to be a1t a game where you get a chance to Boo him then look around you and look to see if there are any people that you would not fanct upseting because you are a minority. Even Milner got cheered when he came back to Villa this season , though this is no comparison i know.

In fairness I understand a lot of your points though I disagree.

The issue for me is that I feel far more anger to someone who hasn’t given us there all, towards players who slag us off in the press, to someone who stayed a couple years and left. We have had all three ranging from Ginola, to Berger to Solano in recent years yet the vitriol Barry will get off some will far exceed this. The only reason in my opinion is he is more valued to us as a player – he has achieved that through his performances with us and shouldn’t get more grief for it in my opinion. Barry has stayed when he could have left before and has been a great servant, becoming a model professional and playing a huge part in our progress. For this I offer him thanks.

If you are objective and put yourself in Barrys shoes you can understand his dilemma. I’d like to think none of us would have acted as the likes of Ginola, Berger and Solano did.

In addition with all the comparisons of Yorke I think its totally different. Yorke was petulant throughout, he put in a lazy, as opposed to bad, performance v Everton, he was on record as desperate to leave which Barry isn’t. Even then most didn’t boo him - at Old Trafford I was there when he kissed the badge and what sparked it was banter chants of “you can’t get in the team, you dirty glory hunter” to the tune of support your local team. He then compounded this by kissing the bench on substitution. This fuelled much of the hatred which was further added to when he joined Blues and spoke out against us in the media. That is why the situation is totally different.

Its also important to remember Barry hasn’t left yet and in fact the only direct quotes I have heard are him praising our club and looking forward to next season.

I don't believe the Loyalty thing, nobody wanted to sign him for 8 years and only in our dark dark days 2 years ago was Pompey interested. His loyalty has never been tested until now. I just get angered that our captain would treat our club like this, what kind of message will that send out if our captain jumps ship to a team we intend to overhaul in the next two years. Can he not see how important his decision is going to be to this club. I don't think I could forgive him going to Liverpool, Arsenal or United maybe because they are the real big 2 clubs in English Football.

I don't believe the Loyalty thing, nobody wanted to sign him for 8 years and only in our dark dark days 2 years ago was Pompey interested. His loyalty has never been tested until now. I just get angered that our captain would treat our club like this, what kind of message will that send out if our captain jumps ship to a team we intend to overhaul in the next two years. Can he not see how important his decision is going to be to this club. I don't think I could forgive him going to Liverpool, Arsenal or United maybe because they are the real big 2 clubs in English Football.

You are correct in some aspects, especialy the message it sends out but the feeling is that this is a real difficult decision for him to make and is far from a done deal, if it was a sod you Jack i'm off maybe i would think different but this he is struggling with this at the moment.

Now if it was Young who was jumping ship after one season i would be booing louder than you.

AVFC1874, it's the timing too, we have just ended a great season the club has never been in this good shape going into the summer. Martin O'Neill is a godsend, we really can kick on. Why would he want to leave now? for Liverpool. I can't understand it.

If I was in Barrys shoes I wouldn't be interested in Liverpool, only Arsenal or United or AC Milan or Real Madrid. I can't understand leaving for a club who will never win the Premier LEague and who's champions League triumph was the luckiest thing to happen in football ever.

AVFC1874, it's the timing too, we have just ended a great season the club has never been in this good shape going into the summer. Martin O'Neill is a godsend, we really can kick on. Why would he want to leave now? for Liverpool. I can't understand it.

If I was in Barrys shoes I wouldn't be interested in Liverpool, only Arsenal or United or AC Milan or Real Madrid. I can't understand leaving for a club who will never win the Premier LEague and who's champions League triumph was the luckiest thing to happen in football ever.

Don't get me wrong i don't think he should leave for a minute.

I posted somewhere else that when you look at it Liverpool are more attractive than we give them credit for. They have won the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup more recently than Arsenal who actually haven’t got a European triumph, they were losing finalists in the European Cup more recently than Arsenal. They have finished above Arsenal in the league 2 out the last 3 seasons and they lost less games than Man United last season. They have one of the richest histories of any football club.

Theres loads I can say against them and I could post all day in support of us. I’ll be absolutely gutted if he leaves but I can understand why he is torn, after all he’s not a Villa fan and is now wondering after 8 years what will I look back at my career and remember. If he leaves with dignity and praises our club I will respect that. It won’t send out a good message, it won’t help us but that’s life. Its not something that Barry himself has to be held accountable for that he is a key member of the team – as it is the hate towards him comes not really from what he is doing – it’s the most attractive proposition any of our players have had for a bit and the likes of Solano left for Newcastle and get less grief! He will get grief as we can’t accept his decision.

In fairness I think your view and most others stems from the fact you are desperate for us to succeed and angry with the situation as we all are. Personally I won’t blame Barry for it though if he goes. I’ll think he’s made the wrong decision though and if he does a Yorke my views change overnight

Yorke played badly in a single game becasue he no longer felt an attachment to the club and in order to force a move.

Barry had a bad game at a time when he was under pressure from large sections of the media.

Yorke played at a much lower level than his team mates in the game before his move.

For me, it was wrong to boo Yorke (at least until his badge kissing) and it would be equally wrong to boo Barry.

I think it's pretty well documented that you don't like Barry, you wanted him dropped before the speculation started, you've been desperate for him to leave since the first links came up, and you've never rated him as a player. The idea that others opinions are full of bias and therefore irrelevant is silly. It is other peoples opinions that frame our own, that's why I still bother replying to your posts even though I believe your mind is closed.

If you don't believe that Gareth Barry deserves our respect for the years he's spent here, well I think that's a shame and I feel sorry for you in that we have been lucky enough to have seen a player that has been the clubs best servant since Gordon Cowans stopped playing and you've never stopped to appreciate him.

You're fully entitled to that opinion though, just as I am entitled to mine and tomaszk his. Feel free to disagree, I'm sure you will. I look forward to seeing your choice of smiley and the name of the imaginary club you put me into.

Oh look another Barry cheerleader :clap: , erm as i said you can't have one thing for Barry and another for Dwight, it's been confirmed by Mon that Gareth was effected by the speculation and therefore performed poorly against Wigan, so the specualtion had a DIRECT LINK to his performance, just like the speculation had a direct link to Dwight's performance at Everton, because you can't tell me he would have played that way had he not been linked with Manure, so what's the difference?, NOTHING, but because you and your pal think Barry is worth more than life it's self you paint a different picture, and excuse me i keep having to ask you this when you roll out that tired old line regarding me "not liking Barry" can you find me a quote where i've expressed those feelings please?, because i can't remember me ever saying i hated the guy, but just because i feel we can go on without him that's obviously a reflection of "hate" lol, at the end of the day i've only said that if Yorke was a much better player for us and still got booed than Gareth deserves the same, sorry if that doesn't fit into your dream of rolling out the red carpet and scattering rose petals on the ground for him as he steps off the scousers coach on his return.

Do you read posts before replying? Are you a bit too quick to get your lovely smileys down and you start typing before you engage your brain?

The difference has been explained but if you choose not to see it that's fine.

I think your exaggeration there typifies your attitude and a reasonalbe debate cannot be had on the subject. I bet you were so pissed of when Barry scored at the weekend, because then you could have had 2 games where you could delude yourself into thinking he'd had 2 shocking games.

Look forward to your reply, but get it right, I'm marketing director.

I don't believe the Loyalty thing, nobody wanted to sign him for 8 years and only in our dark dark days 2 years ago was Pompey interested. His loyalty has never been tested until now. I just get angered that our captain would treat our club like this, what kind of message will that send out if our captain jumps ship to a team we intend to overhaul in the next two years. Can he not see how important his decision is going to be to this club

ok i cant quite understand this

youre saying its NOT loyalty to stay while the club is going through a really bad period, and youre completely disregarding that, and following it by somehow claiming its worse to leave a club after getting them into a good position than it is to leave them in the lurch when theyre really struggling?

dont be so ridiculous for gods sake

barry proved his loyalty 2 years ago when he had a chance to sign for a team who looked far more promising than the mess at villa park but decided to stay

if he leaves now, he should be remembered for that and for helping to make us a more attractive option, and putting us in a far stronger position than we've been for a long while

Don't get me wrong i don't think he should leave for a minute.

I posted somewhere else that when you look at it Liverpool are more attractive than we give them credit for. They have won the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup more recently than Arsenal who actually haven’t got a European triumph, they were losing finalists in the European Cup more recently than Arsenal. They have finished above Arsenal in the league 2 out the last 3 seasons and they lost less games than Man United last season. They have one of the richest histories of any football club.

Theres loads I can say against them and I could post all day in support of us. I’ll be absolutely gutted if he leaves but I can understand why he is torn, after all he’s not a Villa fan and is now wondering after 8 years what will I look back at my career and remember. If he leaves with dignity and praises our club I will respect that. It won’t send out a good message, it won’t help us but that’s life. Its not something that Barry himself has to be held accountable for that he is a key member of the team – as it is the hate towards him comes not really from what he is doing – it’s the most attractive proposition any of our players have had for a bit and the likes of Solano left for Newcastle and get less grief! He will get grief as we can’t accept his decision.

In fairness I think your view and most others stems from the fact you are desperate for us to succeed and angry with the situation as we all are. Personally I won’t blame Barry for it though if he goes. I’ll think he’s made the wrong decision though and if he does a Yorke my views change overnight

Excellent post mate. Probably sums up most peoples view on the situation.

CV, a lot of us can remember Gareth when he was a fresh faced kid with "L" plates on his peugeot hatchback. He's been a one club man since then and has definitely earned our respect. I can understand that you are very upset at the prospect of losing a top player, but repeatedly calling Gareth Barry a traitor for daring to think of pastures new after 10 years faithful service is extreme and uncalled for in my opinion.

Do you read posts before replying? Are you a bit too quick to get your lovely smileys down and you start typing before you engage your brain?

The difference has been explained but if you choose not to see it that's fine.

I think your exaggeration there typifies your attitude and a reasonalbe debate cannot be had on the subject. I bet you were so pissed of when Barry scored at the weekend, because then you could have had 2 games where you could delude yourself into thinking he'd had 2 shocking games.

Look forward to your reply, but get it right, I'm marketing director.

But i've already stressed to you that the "difference" you put forth between Gareth and Dwight was futile in the extreme, and thus i render it bias speak from a Barry groupie, BOTH were effected by the speculation but that doesn't seem to register with you, and as i explained before Yorke left for a team challenging for the title while Gareth wants to join a team we are trying to catch, but yet Dwight's worser than Gareth?..hhmm yeah that makes sense "Mr director" :lol: .

Tom and LivingTheLifeofJesus. Dwight and Gareth are totally different. I would consider what Yorke did understandable, United were dying for a striker, they were kings of England, him going there was the only thing he could do, he was awesome for years for us, those two headers against pool, legend. He did himself no good treatiing us like shit after and he deserves to be villafied for it, Yorke is a tosser. But Barry has never been close to as good as Yorke was. Barry knows he really isn't that great, he's been good this season but lets be honest he's a Steve Sidwell or a Scott Parker not a Paul Ince or Roy Keane.

I'll think him a poor man should he leave, I won't be a nice person to him or consider his memory worth a shit. But I may consider if to boo him, I'll have to wait till the time he returns before......

after the comments he made in the press about not wanting to leave cos he can win things here to then be banded around the papers with liverpool cos he thinks he's gonna win more there is a kick in te teeth for villa and i dont want people with those loose morals at this club - deserves to be booed if the stories about him leving are true

Â