Wayne Rooney

Zatman

Couldn't find a thread but he has retired today and became full time manager. I think people will think he underachieved and maybe he could have looked after himself but what a great career he had. He was never in Messi/Ronaldo quality which he was  unfairly compared but one of the finest strikers England has produced.

Kane will beat his England record but Rooney will always have the better CV

• Like 2

His stats and trophy cabinet speak for itself. 

But for me he declined hugely after RVP left Man Utd. Tried to reinvent himself and never established a position. Personally liked him as a no9 but he never stuck around the box long enough.

I’d take a primer Shearer or Kane over him any day. 

• Like 1

Theres no doubting his talent and career but for me doesnt rank with the Greats of English football because apart from 2004 he never did anything in major finals. Kane, Shearer, Robson, Gascoigne, Charlton and Greaves all rank ahead of him for me. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres no doubting his talent and career but for me doesnt rank with the Greats of English football because apart from 2004 he never did anything in major finals. Kane, Shearer, Robson, Gascoigne, Charlton and Greaves all rank ahead of him for me. 

So apart from 2004 he didnt perform yet mention Kane and Shearer whose good tournaments came from mainly penalties

• Like 1

As a villa fan I only had a care about him when he played for England and every time he needed to perform he flopped on his arse. Its all well and good bashing Andorra but I won't look back too fondly

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

So apart from 2004 he didnt perform yet mention Kane and Shearer whose good tournaments came from mainly penalties

He had more ability than both of those players put together and he flopped in every tournament since his first. Sorry but I cant remember him as a great player because of that. Kane has time on his side and Shearer euro 96. 

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

As a villa fan I only had a care about him when he played for England and every time he needed to perform he flopped on his arse. Its all well and good bashing Andorra but I won't look back too fondly

Yes spot on!

I honestly don't think he even had an average game from his debut until his underperformance at World Cup in 2006. (However he was coming back from injury in that tournament, I still remember the injury at Stamford Bridge and thinking it would kill our WC chances) He was consistently incredible immediately. Zero doubt we'd have won Euro 2004 if he didn't get injured, he was unstoppable.

Playing so many games early eventually caught up to him and I think he slowly got worse from around 2011. He could have become a good striker and scored buckets but refused to stay up front and wanted to still play like the machine he was at 18.

His peak years weren't 27/28/29 they were 17/18/19.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I honestly don't think he even had an average game from his debut until his underperformance at World Cup in 2006. (However he was coming back from injury in that tournament, I still remember the injury at Stamford Bridge and thinking it would kill our WC chances) He was consistently incredible immediately. Zero doubt we'd have won Euro 2004 if he didn't get injured, he was unstoppable.

Playing so many games early eventually caught up to him and I think he slowly got worse from around 2011. He could have become a good striker and scored buckets but refused to stay up front and wanted to still play like the machine he was at 18.

His peak years weren't 27/28/29 they were 17/18/19.

A bit like Michael Owen who  I thought was going to be incredible but injuries slowed him down. 

• Like 2

I think with Rooney a huge drop off was whenever he got his hair first done.

Do you take some sort of drugs alongside hair replacement? Always wondered if they affected his testosterone or something. Final few years at Utd he was so flat, couldn't move.

Brilliant player, wasn't willing to go to that extra obsessive level to squeeze every last drop out of performance out of himself but a fantastic career nonetheless.

That's pretty much the reason why I think he won't do well as a manager though. Well, that and seemingly not being very bright

Left foot. Right foot. Headers. Volleys. Chips. Dinks. Thunderbolts. Penalties. Free Kicks. Built like a brick shit house and was actually rapid.

One of the best in a generation unfortunately of Messi and Ronaldo.

Should have retired earlier. Odd free kick aside it was a bit embarrassing watching him for Derby. He can't move.

• Like 2

Made some comments in the Championship thread about Wazza. You can't knock his record but he was too inconsistent for me to be labelled genuinely world class. He did have  a couple of great seasons but more often it was a streak of 10-15 games and then looked average. From about 30 he was shot, compared to Ronaldo at 35 who is still going strong. Also for England bar 2004 he was rubbish when it came to the crunch.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I saw him play in the FA Youth Cup final against Villa and he was a man child who made it look like an adult playing with 11 year olds. I was there to see the Moore brothers but left convinced they weren’t good enough largely because of Rooney.

It seems silly to say but for me personally he falls short of being a great despite what he won and achieved. I say that because I don’t think he made the most of his ability in the same way as Ronaldo.

He didn’t take care of himself and because of that he faded a lot earlier than he should have done.

I also think his England goal scoring record suggests he was far better in the shirt than he actually was in reality as I think closer examination of his record shows. When you look at the opposition he scored against and the lack of tournament goals he isn’t for me on a par with the Owen’s, Shearer or Lineaker.

Still a brilliant player to watch, in his early days at United he was incredible. 

• Like 3

An absolute freak of a young talent, if you look at what he was doing at 17/18 compared to players we have now or others, you can see why. 

I thought he would stick around for years when he reached his 30s because of his natural ability, but the decline was there for all to see. 

Â