Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

Ah yes, I was at that game. Penalty down the far end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Best Villa keeper I've seen, once saved 8 pens in one season for us which is just ridiculous.

 

Quite amazing as penalty saves were not as common either. No ipads or notes on takers they have now

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Quite amazing as penalty saves were not as common either. No ipads or notes on takers they have now

Very true, they went on gut in those days not research. And nowhere near as many penalties!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

Fairly sure he played a fair few times the previous season but was displaced by Spink at start of 93/94. So the blues game might have been in his first appearance that season but not his debut 

Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

Fairly sure he played a fair few times the previous season but was displaced by Spink at start of 93/94. So the blues game might have been in his first appearance that season but not his debut 

You are right quick Google search and debut was a 2-0 defeat away to Luton 25th April 1992

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Bosnich. 
Great keeper, great personality. 
When we were on the attack, you’d see him hanging off the bar, or doing stretch’s outside the box.

I remember him kneeing Klinnsmann in the head as he was clear and Bozzie got away with it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

“Not many footballers invite you to their luxury apartment to conduct an interview. But then, not many riff on every question for minutes on end like an indulgent ageing rocker, unabashedly spilling their feelings.

 

In the end, though, FFT doesn’t get to see Mark Bosnich’s oh-so-central Sydney flat, as our photographer decides on a launderette in the posh Australian suburb of Paddington to set up the ‘clean sheets’ gag.

When ‘Bozza’ arrives, he hands over his iPhone, cigarettes and lighter (all white) and happily plunges in among baskets of laundry, asking for phone shots to send to his fiancée as evidence of the ridiculous life he leads. Almost immediately, Mark’s former Socceroos team-mate Robbie Slater calls – “Ignore that!” – which helps us to travel back in time to when the Premier League was shiny and new, Big Ron Atkinson was vying with Deadly Doug Ellis at Aston Villa, and Alex Ferguson was beginning to win over the doubters. For the next two hours, Bozza’s machine-gun laugh ricochets about, drowning out passing motorbikes as he holds court opposite the organic bread bar........”

 

Full interview

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

First and last player to break my young heart for leaving.  I never loved again.

Same.

My original Villa hero. I played in goal most of my footballing life and Bosnich was the reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll never forget the interview with Bozzie when they were basically blowing smoke up his arse constantly as his form was so good. He was indifferent and said he wanted to keep practicing and improving because he wanted to be “unbeatable” he wasn’t even joking he wanted to be and at some level thought he could be unbeatable. I’ve never forgotten it.

That in a sentence was Bozzie, ego the size of a truck but talent to match it and a level of dedication and personal drive that many overlooked because of the smile, accent and seeming laid back attitude. Sadly he lost that post Villa but for Villa boy what a keeper he was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He was our number 1 when I first started following Villa. I loved him then, and it’s not until the years and keepers roll past you realise how lucky I was to see him play for us. 

One of my earliest Villa memories is a Bozzie wonder save he had no right saving. Can’t remember who or when, but distinctly remember him making the save. 

He was also one of my mums favourites because he was, in her words, “Dishy”!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same.

My original Villa hero. I played in goal most of my footballing life and Bosnich was the reason.

Same here, every christmas as boy I went to Villa Village to get the Bosnich kit. Even his gloves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bosnich save i remember was probably not even intentional but looked spectacular. Was a cup game va Coventry and they took a shot from about 30 yards but took a deflection while Bosnich was diving to the top corner and somehow he knocked it away with his feet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sad part is he played less than 50 league games after the age of 27, goalkeepers dont reach the prime until then. Its a terrible waste of a career

This. He was beginning to reach his potential with us and unfortunately then he left for Manure. It's a shame because he could have been one of the best of All-time, in a way I'm grateful his best years were with us.

The video is so funny when he calls Southgate the bodyguard and John Major; later Gate tries to retaliate by yawning at Bosnich at his attempts to learn via linguaphone.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember asking the good lady to stop the hire car at the side of the road in Majorca in 1996.  She asked why, as I jumped out and had a brief conversation with Bozzie who was just meandering along.  My daughter then (14 months old) loved waving at him as he always responded.  Lovely gent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Same here, every christmas as boy I went to Villa Village to get the Bosnich kit. Even his gloves.

Yeah I definitely had the Mark Bosnich Reusch gloves at one point

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ll never forget the interview with Bozzie when they were basically blowing smoke up his arse constantly as his form was so good. He was indifferent and said he wanted to keep practicing and improving because he wanted to be “unbeatable” he wasn’t even joking he wanted to be and at some level thought he could be unbeatable. I’ve never forgotten it.

That in a sentence was Bozzie, ego the size of a truck but talent to match it and a level of dedication and personal drive that many overlooked because of the smile, accent and seeming laid back attitude. Sadly he lost that post Villa but for Villa boy what a keeper he was.

United was a very serious dressing room at the time. Plus, he had the unenviable task of replacing Schmichael. I mean, it was like a death in the family for United fans when he left. Bosnich was going to be held to the exact same standards as Schmichael with everything he did. Which was extremely high. He was a senior figure too at the club. Bosnich was fantastic for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â