Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Couldn't find a thread for him. Only came to mind because i seen it on the club's Twitter page it was his birthday. Class keeper. I remember that 93/94 season where he saved a tonne of penalties. Save from Hughes also in the league cup final at the end. Save from bebeto against deportivio i think, in the UEFA cup ( and it was a bloody hard competition then )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this @Johnnyp, this is brilliant.

Bozza is my favourite pundit in the game, and this shows he is a natural. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He was a really good GK. Forgot all about his dodgy kicking, but yes superb shot stopper. He went off the rails a bit, I remember right . 

Aye. Liked to party and eventually got his contract torn up over illicit drug usage.

Worse still: He joined Chelsea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Aye. Liked to party and eventually got his contract torn up over illicit drug usage.

Worse still: He joined Chelsea.

He also played for United didn’t he? Remember being a youngster and getting up to watch him play for Australia. Back then you’d follow countries that had villa players playing for them. I think we all followed Ireland in the 94 World Cup for that reason alone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He also played for United didn’t he? Remember being a youngster and getting up to watch him play for Australia. Back then you’d follow countries that had villa players playing for them. I think we all followed Ireland in the 94 World Cup for that reason alone. 

Indeed. Followed his good friend Dwight to ManUre, got offside with Fergie really quickly and went to Chelsea. It went downhill from there partying with a famous British girl (whose name escapes me), drug use and his contract termination.

He had a hard time after that coping with life in general but finally set himself straight and joined Fox Sports as a pundit with fellow socceroo and ex Blackburn player Robbie Slater, which he remains in till this day. He even did a brief stint back between the sticks for an A-League team along the way.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone remember his debut for us? I can’t recall it. 

The first time I saw him play was at Sheffield Wednesday, away. If it wasn’t his debut it was very close to it. He was excellent in that game - looked completely nerveless. Best game I saw him play was away at Sunderland in the league cup in 1993, where we won, but Sunderland were all over us. We scored 3 from probably our only 3 shots and Bozzie must have made 15 or 20 good saves.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

The first time I saw him play was at Sheffield Wednesday, away. If it wasn’t his debut it was very close to it. He was excellent in that game - looked completely nerveless. Best game I saw him play was away at Sunderland in the league cup in 1993, where we won, but Sunderland were all over us. We scored 3 from probably our only 3 shots and Bozzie must have made 15 or 20 good saves.

I watched the highlights over Xmas of that game against Sunderland in the cup. He was brilliant wasn’t he. What a really exciting villa team that was, and that away strip was beautiful. Tranmere in the semis , talk about a rollercoaster.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

This is a gem. Content like this back then would of been like goldust. Too easy now to do stuff like this.

Gareth looking at a top shagger and character with disdain, wishing he was him...as usual. Melt.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone remember his debut for us? I can’t recall it. 

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

I am pretty sure his debut was away to the great unwashed at the temple of doom 1st Leg of The League Cup.  Came on to replace the injured Nigel Spink and promptly saved a penalty from John Frain.   We won 1-0 Richardson with the goal I think.   My memory could be playing tricks though!

Yep, think you’re right . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Indeed. Followed his good friend Dwight to ManUre, got offside with Fergie really quickly and went to Chelsea. It went downhill from there partying with a famous British girl (whose name escapes me), 

Sophie Anderton

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad part is he played less than 50 league games after the age of 27, goalkeepers dont reach the prime until then. Its a terrible waste of a career

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â