Gaming News 2021

villa4europe

On 09/10/2021 at 12:01, Daweii said:

The GTA Trilogy - Definitive Edition is the classic trilogy ported to Unreal Engine 4. 

How far Rockstar Dundee have gone with this port is yet to be seen, but Rockstar were nice enough to describe the games for us. I guess they haven't heard the saying "a screenshot is worth a thousand words"

I have heard its coming out November 11th 2021 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. Now of course that's rumour and speculation until Rockstar Games confirm it, but we also know this likely isn't a mobile port because the Android/iOS versions are out in Q1 2022. 

I am personally keeping my expectations low. 4K 60 FPS with improved textures, models and lighting might be the most of it. The fact they will have had to remake a lot of the game from scratch when porting the games from RenderWare to Unreal Engine 4 does throw a wild card into mix, but I am choosing to not get too carried away.

So which 3 games is the trilogy including? 
They will still be the original 3 games just remastered?

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So which 3 games is the trilogy including? 
They will still be the original 3 games just remastered?

It's a collection of the 3D-era games, GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas with some form of remastered treatment. 

We won't know for sure how remastered the games are until we get a trailer, but I think the basic expectation is updates to gameplay, lighting and overall detail level. 

• Thanks 1

Basically set your bar as low as possible because they're going to do **** all to them. They've supposedly ported them to Unreal Engine which probably eases the way for them to boost the resolution and maybe chuck in some out of the box lighting upgrades, and the extra power they're playing with will let them use high detail textures, but that'll it be it for prettying it up. Which will be underwhelming. 

As for gameplay, maybe they'll tinker with the lock on/aiming system but that's going to be about it.

And word is they want to charge £70 for the trilogy :crylaugh:

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

Basically set your bar as low as possible because they're going to do **** all to them. They've supposedly ported them to Unreal Engine which probably eases the way for them to boost the resolution and maybe chuck in some out of the box lighting upgrades, and the extra power they're playing with will let them use high detail textures, but that'll it be it for prettying it up. Which will be underwhelming. 

As for gameplay, maybe they'll tinker with the lock on/aiming system but that's going to be about it.

And word is they want to charge £70 for the trilogy :crylaugh:

I won’t be paying £70 but if it’s a physical release then I’ll get it if it’s at £49.99. My Xbox copies of III & VC while backwards compatible on my one x don’t run or look too nice on 4ktv’s and San Andreas on PS3 while it plays fine is such a weird **** looking game, they did such a weird job on it to the point where I’d actually play the OG version on Xbox instead so a competent visual upgrade on the original would be very welcome. All 3 in one case is also welcome. I’ve said before I’m actually a fan of minimal remastering apart from resolution and framerate improvements and hd ui assets.  

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I won’t be paying £70 but if it’s a physical release then I’ll get it if it’s at £49.99. My Xbox copies of III & VC while backwards compatible on my one x don’t run or look too nice on 4ktv’s and San Andreas on PS3 while it plays fine is such a weird **** looking game, they did such a weird job on it to the point where I’d actually play the OG version on Xbox instead so a competent visual upgrade on the original would be very welcome. All 3 in one case is also welcome. I’ve said before I’m actually a fan of minimal remastering apart from resolution and framerate improvements and hd ui assets.  

Yeah, if you're not doing a proper ground-up remaster then at least keep the original feel of the games and make them look nice on 4K screens.

"Three iconic cities, three epic stories. Play the genre-defining classics of the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas updated for a new generation, now with across-the-board enhancements including brilliant new lighting and environmental upgrades, high-resolution textures, increased draw distances, Grand Theft Auto V-style controls and targeting, and much more, bringing these beloved worlds to life with all new levels of detail."

The synopsis for Grand Theft Auto Trilogy - Definitive Edition has apparently been discovered by members of the GTA community. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Daweii said:

The synopsis for Grand Theft Auto Trilogy - Definitive Edition has apparently been discovered by members of the GTA community. 

I'm looking forward to them tbh.

It would have been nice to have all three rebuilt from the ground up ala Demon's Souls but let's face it that's not realistic.

Give me the originals with a makeover, add some QOL improvements and trophies and I'll be all over them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Seen anything about the licensing for the soundtracks? 

Would guess that they've all expired and the radios could see an overhaul 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Seen anything about the licensing for the soundtracks? 

Would guess that they've all expired and the radios could see an overhaul 

Nothing has been uncovered about the music so far.

That said, I think Rockstar will try and re-licence all the music from the originals where possible.

If anything is missing I think it'll be the Michael Jackson songs from Vice City. I can see his estate making it awkward for Rockstar. 

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Nothing has been uncovered about the music so far.

That said, I think Rockstar will try and re-licence all the music from the originals where possible.

If anything is missing I think it'll be the Michael Jackson songs from Vice City. I can see his estate making it awkward for Rockstar. 

I can see rockstar thinking that's perfectly OK... 

• Like 2

Got stock alerts for both ps5 this morning and Series X this afternoon, literally went straight to them within seconds, added to cart both times, sold out while I was trying to buy. I wasn’t even faffing around, went from getting to the alert to trying to buy to sold out within 2 minutes. Urgh. **** sake.**** Very and their crap services and **** microsoft for their crap store as well.

Edited by Ingram85

29 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Got stock alerts for both ps5 this morning and Series X this afternoon, literally went straight to them within seconds, added to cart both times, sold out while I was trying to buy. I wasn’t even faffing around, went from getting to the alert to trying to buy to sold out within 2 minutes. Urgh. **** sake.**** Very and their crap services and **** microsoft for their crap store as well.

i got mine via having the amazon app, having all the account details and address details filled in and having the swipe to buy ability

the guy on twitter whatever he was called, who i had on notifications, tweeted amazon uk have got some via a link in his tweet, one click on link to open the app, one click to add to basket, one swipe to confirm buy now, the thing was bought, it actually me panic afterwards because it was too quick and easy to do, i would guess literally about 37 seconds between seeing the tweet and buying it

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition | Rockstar Store (rockstargames.com)

Rockstar haven't tweeted this out yet and the trailer is yet to go live, but we now have confirmation of its price and release date thanks to the store page going live early.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition will be launching on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series X|S and Switch on November 11th. It will cost £54.99. 

I’m ok with that, would have preferred £49.99 but meh, I’ll get it on PS4/5 if I can as I played the originals on ps2 and it feels right despite best loving the original xbox versions. 

• Like 1

We now have a trailer. 

This collection is definitely in the "make the game look how players remember the game looking" bracket of remaster and I don't hate it. I think the upgrade to lighting, shadows and reflections really bring a new dimension to these ageing classics. 

• Like 3

Also, because I’m a freak, it’s thrown an annoying dilemma my way. It’s different enough from the original versions to make me wonder if I should keep the originals?

Edited by Ingram85

35 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Also, because I’m a freak, it’s thrown an annoying dilemma my way. It’s different enough from the original versions to make me wonder if I should keep the originals?

I think keeping the originals around would be a good idea. 

We know that the remasters upgrade the visuals and the gameplay, but we still don't know anything about the soundtracks.

Keep the originals around and if in a few years you find the remaster is all you need then you can sell the originals. 

Â