Gaming News 2021

villa4europe

New Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes for the Switch. I only just played that generation for the first time last summer but it's been long overdue. Also a brand new adventure Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Looks like a Pokemon version of Breath of the Wild.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so this thread will have to do for now (unless I've missed this news somewhere else on here already, in which case apologies to everyone!)

PlayStation are giving away 10 games as part of their "Play at Home" campaign.  Rachet and Clank is currently available for all PS4 users through the store until the end of the month.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

Hi again! Last month we revealed our new Play at Home program for 2021, which aims to provide the PlayStation community with free games and entertainment offers to make the next few months a little more fun.

The program kicked off earlier this month with access to a free digital copy of the 2016 hit Ratchet & Clank for PS4 — and you can still claim a free digital copy of the game through March 31, 2021 at 8pm PDT* / April 1 at 4am BST / 5am CEST.

Now, let’s talk about the next Play at Home content drop, which hits March 25! This time our focus is a selection of free games from some of our top independent partners, and the previously announced extended trial offer for Funimation (or Wakanim) in the countries where they are available.

From March the 25th until April the 22nd the following games will be available:

Abzû, Enter the Gungeon, Rez Infinite, Subnautica, The Witness

And some VR titles:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Moss, Thumper, Paper Beast

Between April the 20th and May the 15th the following will be available:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition

• Like 2

Saw an interesting video earlier for a game called WW2 Rebuilder cities from the ashes 

Basically a city building game set in 1945 rebuilding the cities impacted by the war, the interesting bit was it has an element of first person clean up / construction too (you can erect scaffolding and go clean bricks...) using a crane to pull a double decker bus out a bomb crater etc 

2 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so this thread will have to do for now (unless I've missed this news somewhere else on here already, in which case apologies to everyone!)

PlayStation are giving away 10 games as part of their "Play at Home" campaign.  Rachet and Clank is currently available for all PS4 users through the store until the end of the month.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

From March the 25th until April the 22nd the following games will be available:

Abzû, Enter the Gungeon, Rez Infinite, Subnautica, The Witness

And some VR titles:

Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Moss, Thumper, Paper Beast

Between April the 20th and May the 15th the following will be available:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition

It's a good offer, HZ in particular being generous, seeing as you don't even need PS+, so they're genuinely free games. 

Hopefully this means the new HZ is definitely releasing this year.   I like the fact they giving away the complete edition of the game too. I never got the DLC when it came out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Disco Elysium comes out today on PS4 (around 6pm UK time). I bookmarked this when it first came out on PC in 2019 but alas, I did not have the specs at the time to run it.

From what I gather you are a cop waking up from a hangover with a murder to solve. It's meant to have one of the deepest RPG systems where every action you take can impact the story and your character in meaningful ways and it's for this promise that I will probably buy later tonight.

Here's the Steam blurb for those interested:

Capture_1_0.png.befc558da9975da8c7e43f089c0fbf2f.png

• Like 1

Saw a thing on YouTube last night for upcoming games this month - MLB the show is coming to xbox, will be the first PS studios game to do 

I'm guessing they need the yank audience and this is the baseball game, rates highly but I just didn't get it

Fantasian has been released today. It's a 'diarama' RPG from Mistwalker, the studio who produced Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Story. Story by Sakaguchi, the original creator of Final Fantasy, and music by Uematsu, the composer of some of the finest video game music out there. 

Sounds like it's worth a look, right? Well, sure. Only catch is, it's currently exclusive to Apple Arcade. Now, I bought a new iPad during the first lockdown, and it includes a year of Apple Arcade. I imagine, therefore, that I'll be one of about 10 players worldwide. 

Edited by hogso

On 31/03/2021 at 23:40, villa4europe said:

Saw a thing on YouTube last night for upcoming games this month - MLB the show is coming to xbox, will be the first PS studios game to do 

I'm guessing they need the yank audience and this is the baseball game, rates highly but I just didn't get it

And MS have put it on game pass 😂

The last of us is getting a ps5 remake which is bizarre, apparently a team was approached about remaking uncharted but they wanted to do TLOU instead 

I will lazily guess that it'll include some of the mechanics from number 2 and content from the TV series rather than a complete overhaul 

Edited by villa4europe

• 1 month later...

Crysis trilogy remaster has a teaser trailer out

I thought they were OK, solid 7/10 games, I played them on the 360 so maybe didn't get the whole mind blowing graphics thing 

The remaster is for the xbone and PS4 with then backward compatability for x and 5, seems a bit shit 

Crysis is an odd series.

The first one is like the most advanced proof of concept software seller ever, but as a game it's got problems. Crytek were basically trying to do the old id software formula - develop an engine, build a game with that engine and sell the engine on the back of the successes of the game (as they did most notably with Doom and Quake) - but with a supremely advanced engine for the time. Except the game they offered up wasn't as good as Doom or Quake. Crysis has 3 or 4 great levels, and then falls apart, and the engine never quite took off.

2 is effectively 'what if we took Crysis and crossed it with Call of Duty and got it to run on consoles?'. It's less interesting and more contained than the first game, there's not much really wrong with it but there's not much remarkable either.

And 3 nobody played but supposedly melded in some more of the large spaces of the first, but still less interestingly than the first.

It's just a curiosity now really. The first one is still in some ways incredible and it still can push top end PC hardware in places, but for all the promise it's still not that great overall.

• 1 month later...

Steam Deck - BBC

"Gaming giant Valve, which runs the Steam store, has announced a portable console that will play PC games.

The Steam Deck has been likened to the Nintendo Switch console in appearance but Valve says it will have the components of a high-end gaming laptop.

The built-in display is limited to high-definition 720p graphics but the console can also be connected to an external display."

Interesting development, hopefully it works out. I would get one next year if it's working out well. 

Â