Gaming News 2021

villa4europe

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Reading disturbing stories that amazon's new MMO  NEW WORLD is bricking people's expensive graphic cards like the 3090 and the 6900xt

Further reading here https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-new-world-killing-rtx-3090-gpus/

I saw that in passing.  Had no idea that could happen - not being a PC gamer.

Such events tend to occur when a flaw in the games code exposes a flaw in the hardware. 

Previously in the PC space I recall Dead Island back in the day bricking GPU's as the main menu ran at thousands of frames per second, it just fried the card and this was pre-safety shutdowns/thermal throttling.

That said this isn't exclusive to PC. A very recent example in the console world would be ray tracing in Spider-Man: Miles Morales bricking PS5's. It didn't brick all of them, it only bricked a small percentage, but something in how the PS5 does ray tracing triggered the game to brick PS5's that had a specific hardware defect. 

It's a shame when it happens, but fortunately such events are very rare. 

When they say Bricking do they mean completely kaput? Like, what happens then? Do Amazon replace the cards or compensate fully for that? Are the cards fixable? 

24 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

When they say Bricking do they mean completely kaput? Like, what happens then? Do Amazon replace the cards or compensate fully for that? Are the cards fixable? 

They can be repaired. While a software bug has revealed it, it's a hardware fault, people should return it to their retailer legally), or to EVGA under warranty (more practically).

A higher level system should never be able to fundamentally break a lower level. If an application can break the OS, it's the OS's fault. If an application can break hardware, it's the hardware's fault. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

lots of rumours that remasters of GTA 3, vice city and san andreas are all coming this year, probably as a bundle, on pretty much everything, from new gen down to mobiles...that last bit puts me off, makes it sound like a spit shine

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Hades is out on playstation today? Anyone played it? As its a rogue lite game is it as frustrating as Returnal?

It's roguelite, not roguelike so nowhere near as frustrating. You get to keep certain items if you die, and you level up your character to get better and make levels easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

Hades is out on playstation today? Anyone played it? As its a rogue lite game is it as frustrating as Returnal?

In fact, after having a read up about it, it sounds absolutely superb. 

May well give it a go as its only 20 quid.

• Like 2

I spent a couple of weeks playing Hades when it came out on PC, it's an absolutely brilliant game, with so much replayability. It's very fast paced and reactive, and to do well you need to excel at understanding enemy attack patterns, dodging and exploiting their gaps. Beating the game is only the start as you unlock the extra mode to start adding extra difficulty via handicaps that then scale up the rewards.  Every playthrough is different with huge amounts of customisable builds, though mostly driven by the luck of the skills you get to choose from.  The story and characters are interesting, but if you're not interested, it stays out of th eway, and developments happen with a few lines here and there over time, for the most part, it just lets you slash your way through minions.

It was probably my game of 2020. I think I might dust it off this weekend :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

From what I could gather from the computer game show podcast is what makes hades special is that the story and character dialogue are built around what you did and how you died, so it's not a case of die, rinse, repeat it actually means something and does stuff, the game keeps itself ticking over 

Its not my thing but sounds too interesting not to give it a go, it's on game pass which I stopped and haven't touched the xbox in about 6 months, will finish disco elysium and then give it a go, should keep me going until kena / deathloop 

Disco elysium is absolutely superb but I think a bit niche 

• Like 2

I think Disco Elysium was my game of 2019 :D

Definitely an acquired taste, the pacing is best described as meandering, and if you don't enjoy reading about fictional Eastern European political ideology, it's going to be a slog, but it's bloody clever.

• Like 1

It'll be intersting to see if it inspires anything, maybe not so much in terms of the head **** stuff and the volume of reading but even the point and click mechanics of it feel like a great modern update on the genre, theyre not 100% perfect but they work on the playstation too, nails the difficulty level, been caught a few times where I'm not in the mood for all of the politics but by and large it's damn good 

Imagine a monkey Island game where you could walk around this freely, would be great 

DE GOTY 2019 and Hades GOTY 2020, decent summer with hardly anything new out 

Quick heads up for those who own the excellent Mortal Shell on PS4 (or PS5), the new expansion The Virtuos Cycle is free if downloaded between 18th - 23rd of August.

Also, if you own a PS5 (and Mortal Shell) and haven't played the free enhanced version then I urge you to give it a look - it looks stunning in 60fps and 4k and I recently completed it again just to see it in all it's glory.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2021 at 10:57, Designer1 said:

Quick heads up for those who own the excellent Mortal Shell on PS4 (or PS5), the new expansion The Virtuos Cycle is free if downloaded between 18th - 23rd of August.

Also, if you own a PS5 (and Mortal Shell) and haven't played the free enhanced version then I urge you to give it a look - it looks stunning in 60fps and 4k and I recently completed it again just to see it in all it's glory.

Took me a few mins to figure out how to access the new stuff 😂

• Like 1

its gamescom this week, 3 big presentations geoff keighley doing another one (which wasnt that bad last time) xbox and future games show

still nothing from sony, maybe they'll do a kena bridge of spirits state of play in the next month - they should do, i hope they push that game its got bags of potential

Â