Gaming News 2021

villa4europe

Thought id start a bit of a catch all thread for the new stuff being announced

the "big" thing this week is that Lucasarts has rebranded itself as lucasfilm games and announced some new games, one is an indiana jones game (uncharted rip off :trollface:) by bethesda but no mention of whether it will be an xbox exclusive and then also an open world star wars game made from ubisoft by some of the development team behind the division 2 and the same creative director

not sure whats happened to EAs deal with SW, seems like they're still working on them but maybe they arent producing the number of games that disney want

Indiana Jones Bethesda Game - Official Teaser - YouTube

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

one is an indiana jones game by bethesda but no mention of whether it will be bug ridden mess filled to the brim with shitty microtransactions

fixed etc and so forth.  I'll keep my expectations suitably dampened; maybe it's all an elaborate ruse and they've hired that indie team to do the glorious HD remaster of The Fate of Atlantis which befell the cease and desists a couple of years ago.

Also in "Gaming news I didn't expect to see in 2015, let alone 2021"; Scott Pilgrim vs The World: Complete Edition is getting a PS4 release (a mere 7 years or so after getting delisted from the PS3 store).  Out tomorrow via digital distribution (and also available for the Switch).

And if you're into hideously expensive plastic tat for your games, Limited Run have physical copies of the game available in 3 editions (Game only, Fancier game package with trinkets, or Over-the-to-all-singing-all-lighting pop-up-case-with-more-trinkets-yo-can-fit-into-a-small-apartment-in-Toronto).

• Like 1

EA's exclusivity deal with Star Wars runs until 2023 - Disney know that these games are likely 3-4 years away so are announcing some of them now @villa4europe

Indiana Jones is being made by MachineGames (Wolfenstein: New Order/Wolfenstein: New Colossus) and is only being published by Bethesda/Microsoft. I have zero doubts about it's quality as MachineGames are just masters of their craft. 

I have my concerns about the Star Wars game made by UbiSoft Massive. They have mishandled the golden goose twice. Both Division 1 and 2 sold over 10 million copies, yet both are dead in the water with low player counts because of mismanagement with content updates. Maybe Star Wars will be third times the charm for that studio, but they have a habit of launching games with a lack of content and then ruining their games with massive changes in every content drop. I have low expectations, but maybe that's a good thing as their potential success will be a surprise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Also in "Gaming news I didn't expect to see in 2015, let alone 2021"; Scott Pilgrim vs The World: Complete Edition is getting a PS4 release (a mere 7 years or so after getting delisted from the PS3 store).  Out tomorrow via digital distribution (and also available for the Switch).

Thanks so much for letting me know about this!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hogso said:

Harry Potter Legacy, aka. Harry Potter RPG delayed until 2022

Adding in more microtransactions, or taking them out?

Or waiting in hope that Rowling becomes less toxic?

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

Could KOTOR 3 happen?

First two games are two of the GOAT

I can't think which studio could do it justice. Certainly not Bioware these days.

Speaking of fantastic RPGs, the only game I'm currently excited about is Baldur's Gate 3 :) 

there's a few that could put out a 3rd person rebellion based shooter / action game, a tie with the Andor TV show for example, that type of character would fit well to that type of game, some of the Poe stuff from the last film too his stories that after 2 and half films of nothing they thought they better include with the cool looking woman we'd never seen before who did next to nothing on that planet that we'd never seen before but was dark and cold so it was different and they spent 5 minutes on leaving it all really undeveloped and a little bit pointless but the one liner from C3PO about taking the last look at his friends before being killed off but not really killed off in something else that was utterly pointless*...imagine that in the style of ghosts of tsushima, liberating a planet, easy game to make

anything beyond that though and it starts to become doubtful as to what the quality will be

* you might be able to guess what i thought of that film

I’ve owned FIFA 21 about 8 hours and hate it 😂

Yes, getting battered in division 10.

Start game in the noob league and it’s **** rainbow flicks, 25 pass goals, 8-0  down before half time. 
I do feel sorry for these people who clearly have hundreds on hours of experience but choose to play in the rookie division because they can thrash newbies. 

RE8 is looking good, I'm definitely going to be playing that on day one. 

I wish I could say the same about Re:Verse which looks about as bad as every other competitive multiplayer RE game. 

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

RE village is out May 7th, demons on ps5 today, looks really good but still just not a RE game for me, still not played the last one 

It's absolutely worth your time, must be bargain bin now as well.

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

It's absolutely worth your time, must be bargain bin now as well.

Its "free" with psn+ and game pass

Will try it eventually, think my biggest disappointment is that with the excellent remakes of 2 and 3 I see them making a really good looking game that I want to play but it's not a 3rd person continuation of those games, I'm really in the mood for more "proper" RE

• 1 month later...

what sony didnt announce last night...they're "winding down" JapanStudio, not renewing a lot of contracts, keeping pretty much just the team behind astro bot

they've made and been involved with some games over the years! PaRappa, wild arms, everybodys golf, ape escape, dark cloud / chronicle, the team ico games, locoroco, white knight chronicles, tokyo jungle, gravity rush, knack, bloodborne, last guardian recently demon souls

Â