Diet and Weightloss

Seat68

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Keto might work for you Dem.  A lot of cravings come down to the fact that manufacturers have got us addicted to quick release carbs in food, especially in added sugar. You eat something full of carbs, you get an insulin spike and your body likes it. A little while later your body craves more of the same. You don't get any of that on the keto diet. Once you get past the first few days, which can be hard I won't lie, it really is a piece of piss, which hopefully  @AVFC_Hitz will back me up on.

Yeah, first few days of Keto are rough. Headaches and fatigue but once it clears the energy is great (proper stonking stiffys, too). You forget bread and pasta after a while.

• Like 1

I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been now, always fluctuated up and down but defo biggest now, not weighed myself for a while but must be pushing 16 stone if not past it (I’m 5ft9 for reference).

Laziness, a football injury, age, apathy and zero will power have done for me......I need to do something about it before it gets any worse for sure!

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been now, always fluctuated up and down but defo biggest now, not weighed myself for a while but must be pushing 16 stone if not past it (I’m 5ft9 for reference).

Laziness, a football injury, age, apathy and zero will power have done for me......I need to do something about it before it gets any worse for sure!

Similar to me... I'd wager i'm around 15 stone at about 5'8". Maybe just under. My ideal weight is around 12st, although I have been just over 9st as an adult. I looked like a starvation victim!

I was a fat kid at school and then the early days of college. Then the way dropped off when i was about 18, in my second year at college. No idea why, I wasn't dieting, just a bit more active. I stayed that way for about 4 years then it started to creep back to about 14st at 22/23. Then I went on a diet, combined with 3 hours of cardio 5 times a week. Weight dropped to just over 9st in about 6 months. I looked ill though and people started to worry I was addicted to losing weight! I was a 28" waist and they were baggy! I got myself up to 12st in my mid twenties and stayed that way for a while - probably the best look for me. However, the weight has crept on over the last 15 years! Need to sort myself out, but lack motivation at present. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Risso said:

Keto might work for you Dem.  A lot of cravings come down to the fact that manufacturers have got us addicted to quick release carbs in food, especially in added sugar. You eat something full of carbs, you get an insulin spike and your body likes it. A little while later your body craves more of the same. You don't get any of that on the keto diet. Once you get past the first few days, which can be hard I won't lie, it really is a piece of piss, which hopefully  @AVFC_Hitz will back me up on.

Yeah I heard good things about the keto diet. It looks good on paper but my concern with it is that i read this diet can give you high cholesterol.

Furthermore i was reading you have to ensure you follow diet properly as if you get ig wring you can really get some health problems.  But i heard the results can be amazing with keto

My main issue is that I eat way too much bread and potatoes; a lot of starch is especially not good for you.  One positive for me at least is that I am not overall a huge sweets person.  Trying my best to cut out the aforementioned bread and potatoes and start going to the gym and takes hikes again, and I hopefully drop some pounds.

For me at least, losing weight is about willpower and not being lazy, just exercise and stay away from carb loaded foods as best you can. Hopefully, I can start doing that for sure.

As others have said Keto is an interesting one, I managed a month on it around a year ago. The keto flu that kicks in around day 5-7 is interesting and feels as if you are drunk with a weird brain fog, once yoI come out the other side food cravings pretty much go away. I would say unless you are willing to spend 2-3 months on it it’s not worth starting and if you aren’t prepared to put in the meal prep time I wouldn’t bother because eating chicken pork and beef for almost every meal gets very old very quickly.

I want to lose about half a stone in Jan and I’m doing this by working to about 1500 calories a day and no drinking, 3 pounds down already.

Since being in my 30s it seems weight goes in so easily. Always seem to be dieting somehow. I yo-yo a lot. Last few years whenever I’ve crash dieted I can lose around a stone quickly and then put it back on and more. 
From October I started the SlimFast milkshakes. 2 a day instead of meals, allowed 3 pieces of fruit/ veg and then a proper meal. 

I always walk a fair bit, but after the first month I also started doing Fiit exercise videos. Really got into them and probably was doing 10 a week (hiit and Pilates mainly). 
I lost nearly 2 stone (admittedly I was the heaviest I’d ever been). But not only that I was starting to tone up. Dropped a jeans size for the first in years. Does go to show that regular intense exercise is the best, dieting just pushes it along. 

Unfortunately, back issue and then December overindulgence has seen me put some weight on so back on the shakes. Trying to walk at least 3 mile a day, but do need to get back to the videos as well.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve lost about 20 kg’s in 10 months by small changes that aren’t a diet, because it’s pretty much the definition of a weight loss plan or diet that you get to a goal and stop, or relax, and revert back to somewhere you clearly didn’t want to be.

I got in to the habit of moving around more, be it gardening, or walking, or the exercise bike. Of those three, a regular, easy walk of a few miles definitely works best for me.

So, I haven’t really changed my diet significiantly, less bread, not automatically having sandwiches and crisps for lunch 5 days a week, and I’ve reduced portions in part, by literally using slightly smaller saucepans and plates! 

No calorie counting as such, but I am aware of what calories are in something, so I don’t know from day to day whether I’ve done 2,000 calories or 3,000 but I’ll look at the data on the label for a quiche. If the quiche is bang average and a little taster slice is costing me 400 calories, I don’t bother.

So for me, long term small changes of habit resulting in long term slow weight loss, was absolutely the way to go.

Good for you  I mean that. People are different. I was more pointing to the cliche that dropping a lot of weight fast is bad for you or that it doesn't mean you'll pack it back on.

In my experience most people's problems are being disciplined over time, so the quicker you can achieve drastic weight reduction the better. People who pack it back on will pack it back on regardless.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Yeah, first few days of Keto are rough. Headaches and fatigue but once it clears the energy is great (proper stonking stiffys, too). You forget bread and pasta after a while.

Can't believe it's been over 15 hours and no one has KW'ed this post. Ah well, here goes :

18441-2990.gif

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Can't believe it's been over 15 hours and no one has KW'ed this post. Ah well, here goes :

18441-2990.gif

It's because all us VT Dieters, are still waiting for that special day when we are able to see our willies in the shower again. 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

As others have said Keto is an interesting one, I managed a month on it around a year ago. The keto flu that kicks in around day 5-7 is interesting and feels as if you are drunk with a weird brain fog, once yoI come out the other side food cravings pretty much go away. I would say unless you are willing to spend 2-3 months on it it’s not worth starting and if you aren’t prepared to put in the meal prep time I wouldn’t bother because eating chicken pork and beef for almost every meal gets very old very quickly.

I want to lose about half a stone in Jan and I’m doing this by working to about 1500 calories a day and no drinking, 3 pounds down already.

I didn't go through the flu stage. Had a couple of days of having no energy and craving carbs, but then that passed. I used to eat about four pieces of toast a day minimum, plus all sorts of other carbs (crisps, biscuits, chocolate etc) but I don't miss any of it now. I don't mind the cooking either, and it doesn't have to be limited.  If I make a spag bol for the kids, I have some but just replace the pasta with cauilflower rice for example.

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Then I went on a diet, combined with 3 hours of cardio 5 times a week. Weight dropped to just over 9st in about 6 months. I looked ill though and people started to worry I was addicted to losing weight! I was a 28" waist and they were baggy! I got myself up to 12st in my mid twenties and stayed that way for a while - probably the best look for me. However, the weight has crept on over the last 15 years! Need to sort myself out, but lack motivation at present. 

Let me recommend jogging bottoms to you, my friend. They come with a cord to tighten if needed.

Thank me later 😉

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I have found a variant of the 5/2 diet works, 750 calories Mon to Friday then weekends pretty much what you want in reason. 

If you have 750 calories for 5 days a week I reckon you could eat whatever you want on weekends without reason.

I do sometimes wonder if there’s some kind of physical limit on the most calories the body can process in a given time frame before you just start shitting all of the excess out.

• Like 1

Â