Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Villa v Liverpool

limpid

Match Polls  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/21 at 23:59

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It seems fairly mental that Milner is still playing top flight football. It feels like several universes away that he played for us.

I'd love to get him back in some capacity, some day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You can't seriously look at the physical stature of some of these kids and seriously insinuate that they offer more to a Premier League game over 90 minutes than the likes of Keinan Davis.

I did say as “an option” I.e. off the bench to stretch teams with his pace and finishing later in games.
A big striker who doesn’t score isn’t much use in that scenario. 

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Laugh all you want as I know some will, but I've seen him change the complexion of a game a multitude of times, holding up, causing problems and creating space for others.

I’ll be amazed if anyone in the top 2 divisions takes him after we establish another striker at the club. He needs to do a bit more than “put himself about” to be a good striker. It’s been said many times but he looks much more like a centre half.

Easily the most pleased I’ve been after a 4-1 defeat.

To be honest it could have ended up 8-1 and I’d have been the same. That first hour was a hell of an effort from every one of them.

Could easily have given MotM to any one of a number of them but went for Barry because as others have said, that’s one that will live long in the memory.

The game was played in the right spirit by all involved, maybe except for Klopp who couldn’t even be magnanimous in his interview really.

I hope we smash them up at anfield when the bigger boys are back to play.

Where to start?

That bunch of lads did themselves and the club very proud. They could not have been expected to do any more. All of them were out on their feet at the end.

What a moment when Louie Barry scored. I had feared the worst when they scored so early & so easily but the lads fought their way into the game. Revan stood out for me but also good performances by Bridge & Rowe.

Liverpool deserve credit for a professional performance without looking to embarrass anyone. You could see they always had something in reserve, as that 5 minute spell showed. You have to laugh at the absurdity of them bringing on Thiago, Firmino, Shaqiri & Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I am sure it has been said elsewhere but the game should not have been played. The FA are being disrespectful to their own competition by expecting fixtures to be fulfilled in such circumstance.

It was great to see that there is some talent in the Academy and it augurs well for the future of the club (especially as quite a few are local lads). UTV.

• Like 1

Hard to pick a MOTM after that. Onodi, Revan, Barry all immense, but tbh it's 10s all around from me.

The heart, desire, determination, fearlessness in the face of an unconscionably strong Liverpool side was commendable and I'm so proud to be Villa tonight.

Our kids are a huge credit to themselves and to the football club. Shout out to Delaney for managing them well tonight and making smart changes.

Jurgen Klopp 0/10 - classless snake. Undoubtedly a talented manager but how anyone believes his nice guy schtick is beyond me, the media have been conned. Can't stand the man and he was embarrassed by a bunch of teenagers, some of whom aren't even old enough to drive themselves home. Says it all.

Obviously feared the absolute worst when I saw the team sheet, but it feels like a win. Liverpool will feel robbed of their "revenge" tonight - and by our U19s. I'll sleep well in that knowledge.

UTV.

Edited by est1874

1 hour ago, useless said:

That turn was great on so many levels. Just the outrageous audacity to even do something like that, inside your own box, against a pretty close to world class player, with what must have been quite tired legs. You must have confidence, technique and stamina to get away with that, and young Young did it with a delicious bravado.

But most important, it was the absolutely optimal way to solve that situation, as he completely freed himself from the opponent. It's really not often that the most spectacular move ALSO is the most efficient.

• Like 4

Should’ve forfeited, it could’ve been a cricket score, they lost against Sunderland! 🤐

well done young Villans, never has a loss felt so good! we’re all immensely proud and will sleep better than Barry tonight replaying that goal in his head (or on YouTube) over and over 

49 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I saw the interview before with Klopp and he seemed so dismissive of our situation and seemed to reign himself in from saying something really controversial.

Lost any respect I had for him there but what about his post-match comments? Was there any great redeeming of his character? 

No, it almost choked him to give our team a mention let alone credit.

Edited by smg
Forgot

After watching Klopp’s before and after interviews I’ll go as far as sticking up for what I said pre-match that they would be playing a reserve team. He knew about our situation and decided to play a stronger team than he would have, wanting to get revenge for the 7-2.
Well all but one club’s supporters will know who the real victors tonight were. I’ll take back by OTT rant about wishing them injuries but I will certainly not have any sympathy if they do get any, and I’ll be pissing my pants if Klopp moans about fatigue or the number of substitutes.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

Talksport all over the Villa boys right now.

Only one winner in tonight's game and it wasn't the current world and premier league champions. Yes they go through to the next round,  but those boys tonight have not only raised they're own profiles but the club's.  Villa will have made alot of friends and admirers from that, as you say with talksport being an example. Can only be good for us going forward. 

• Like 1

There was a ten minute period where we pressed really high and had them running around looking worried and then we scored. The movement passing vision and speed was a joy to behold. Only ten minutes but I loved it. 

That ten minutes showed me that we have an identity now. That's the new Aston Villa way. 

• Like 3

We set a few records tonight, 

-most debuts in an FA cup match

- Youngest team in an FA cup match 

- Edward Rowe ( came on at right back) 

Must be the smallest 1st team Villa player ever! He was tiny.

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Seeing how difficult it was at times with it being men against boys made me realise what a rare breed Wayne Rooney was at just 16. You can see the potential of Barry with that finish, but he needs to develop that upper body strength before he can start thinking about first team football. I definitely think Bridge will make it and I loved the tenacity of Sylla, who never stopped trying. 

The future certainly looks rosy. 

I thought Revan was superb 

63 years and waiting but I sense it will not be much longer

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

Honestly, get these kids onto the bench once we know we're not getting relegated. They're better than a lot of the deadwood we have. Ramsey has benefitted a lot from playing and I'm sure the others will also benefit. I'd rather have Barry on the bench than Davis, for a start.

• Like 2

Â