Formula One - 2021

BOF

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Will Lewis apologise for questioning the team who have won him the race? 

Decision making is a process which requires the driver too so there's nothing to apologise for.

Brilliant Grand Prix - with six laps to go, we had a potential winner that's 8th, a potential podium that's 15th and Verstappen somehow finding the waves parting to get him into second.

Lewis will be delighted with the win, Verstappen will be thinking that with this luck maybe it's written in the stars for him.

Great stuff from start to finish.

Yep. Can't really blame Lando. Even Lewis just said that he didn't want to come in either but the difference was Mercedes made the call because they could see the weather was getting worse. McLaren should have done the same

• Like 1

I guess for McLaren, they were already looking at second place because Hamilton would have caught Norris either way, so for them the risk that the rain wouldn't get any worse and they could hold out for a win possibly outweighed the drop from a podium finish to seventh. 

Mercedes could afford to take the safe option and it wouldn't cost them, no need for lewis to risk it. With three laps to go, it was a tight call as to whether lando could make it. I don't think you can blame them too much. Maybe Mclaren should have been more forceful. But it's the fine margins of surviving one or two laps versus the time taken to pit. They could have accepted 2nd, but decided the possible win was a carrot worth chasing. 

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess for McLaren, they were already looking at second place because Hamilton would have caught Norris either way, so for them the risk that the rain wouldn't get any worse and they could hold out for a win possibly outweighed the drop from a podium finish to seventh. 

I don’t think he’s have caught Lando if they pitted at the same time. Lando is great in the wet

Yeah, it was no brainer for Mercedes as it was still second if he didn’t catch Lando.

They did have the added pressure of overruling Lewis though, if it didn’t work out he’d have kicked off. 
I can’t think of why McLaren we’re not fixed on the Mercedes garage ready just to cover off what ever they did. It was more important than staring at the weather radar.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think he’s have caught Lando if they pitted at the same time. Lando is great in the wet

You don't think Lewis would have caught Lando?  Lewis is the master in the wet, he would have won either way.

Love him or hate him, 100 wins today, an he's no Raducanu, born with a silver spoon, from where he came from and his rise to stardom, that takes some doing.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

You don't think Lewis would have caught Lando?  Lewis is the master in the wet, he would have won either way.

Love him or hate him, 100 wins today, an he's no Raducanu, born with a silver spoon, from where he came from and his rise to stardom, that takes some doing.

Lewis ain't the master in the wet, in fact I'd say all young drivers are best in the wet. 

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Well he might have but there was no guarantee. Spa and Sochi are the two wettest quali sessions we've had and Lando has outperformed Lewis in both of those. A race is different of course but it shows Lando had a lot of pace in the wet.

Plus we saw how much Lewis struggled to get past Ricciardo before the first pit stops.

I think lando would have had every chance of staying ahead

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I haven't felt as emotionally invested in a driver for years and years as I do with Lando.

I'm still gutted for him after Sunday

I agree, Mclaren let him down badly.

Based on the forecast, they should have brought him in. If it went wrong and the stronger rain didn’t appear then it’s still second place but at least he gets back safely with a trophy.

Based on the race tactics they needed to cover off whatever Mercedes did, and as Mercedes had space to third place they were always going to bring Lewis in for tyres as it was risk free.

It was an unnecessary high risk gamble to “hope” the forecast was wrong. 

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, Mclaren let him down badly.

Based on the forecast, they should have brought him in. If it went wrong and the stronger rain didn’t appear then it’s still second place but at least he gets back safely with a trophy.

Based on the race tactics they needed to cover off whatever Mercedes did, and as Mercedes had space to third place they were always going to bring Lewis in for tyres as it was risk free.

It was an unnecessary high risk gamble to “hope” the forecast was wrong. 

To be fair it seems their forecast was that the rain would stay the same until the end of the race. So it wasn't as clear cut. If they come in and Lewis stays out and the rain stays the same then they've lost it. So it was a horrible call to make.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair it seems their forecast was that the rain would stay the same until the end of the race. So it wasn't as clear cut. If they come in and Lewis stays out and the rain stays the same then they've lost it. So it was a horrible call to make.

When Lewis questioned it Mercedes told him that the rain was going to get heavier.

As i said, even if they took the tyre change and rain didn’t get worse they go from 1st to 2nd. If they didn’t change and it got worse (as it played out) he finishes 7th, 90 seconds behind. They took a really big gamble which they didn’t even need to take, they could have ignored the weather and copied Mercedes.