Jump to content

Formula One - 2021


BOF
 Share

Recommended Posts

For Lewis to give Max enough space to take the corner at the speed he was going, he would have had to have turned right on a left-hander.  It may even have been the thing to do.  A sort of Top Gun manoeuvre, letting Max slide on through to the gravel then continue on with the race without the crash.  Not that I think that it was a genuine possibility, it's just that turning left into the second part of the chicane with Max doing what he was, was also not an option regardless of the bumps.  The thing for me is that we have seen this season that Lewis can race from behind with an aggressively defending opponent in Hungary with some of the most intense racing this season against Alonso.  Max does seem far happier with the coin flip heads I win, tails you loose approach of forcing his opponent to let him through or accepting contact.  It's not really racing at that point.

I want to watch them race, but now I fear for both of them when they are in the same part of the track.  If there was a third person even 20 points closer in the race for the title, they would be licking their lips at the thought of the lead two taking each other out race after race.  To my mind Max really needs to dial down the aggression a notch.  He is his own worst enemy this season. He has a really fast car, possibly the best car.  All he needs to do is keep it on the road and he has a really good chance of the title.  I don't see why you would invite all that contact from a position of strength. 

Well I can see why he does it, but it does not speak well of him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Straggler said:

For Lewis to give Max enough space to take the corner at the speed he was going, he would have had to have turned right on a left-hander.  It may even have been the thing to do.  A sort of Top Gun manoeuvre, letting Max slide on through to the gravel then continue on with the race without the crash.  Not that I think that it was a genuine possibility, it's just that turning left into the second part of the chicane with Max doing what he was, was also not an option regardless of the bumps.  The thing for me is that we have seen this season that Lewis can race from behind with an aggressively defending opponent in Hungary with some of the most intense racing this season against Alonso.  Max does seem far happier with the coin flip heads I win, tails you loose approach of forcing his opponent to let him through or accepting contact.  It's not really racing at that point.

I want to watch them race, but now I fear for both of them when they are in the same part of the track.  If there was a third person even 20 points closer in the race for the title, they would be licking their lips at the thought of the lead two taking each other out race after race.  To my mind Max really needs to dial down the aggression a notch.  He is his own worst enemy this season. He has a really fast car, possibly the best car.  All he needs to do is keep it on the road and he has a really good chance of the title.  I don't see why you would invite all that contact from a position of strength. 

Well I can see why he does it, but it does not speak well of him.

Yeah I'd agree. He's always been that way, and I've said it in this thread a number of times.

It's basically "I'm putting my car here and you either get out of the way or we crash.

It's what has always annoyed me about him but it's also (part of at least) what makes him as good as he is

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
17 minutes ago, Straggler said:

For Lewis to give Max enough space to take the corner at the speed he was going, he would have had to have turned right on a left-hander.  It may even have been the thing to do.  A sort of Top Gun manoeuvre, letting Max slide on through to the gravel then continue on with the race without the crash.  Not that I think that it was a genuine possibility, it's just that turning left into the second part of the chicane with Max doing what he was, was also not an option regardless of the bumps.  The thing for me is that we have seen this season that Lewis can race from behind with an aggressively defending opponent in Hungary with some of the most intense racing this season against Alonso.  Max does seem far happier with the coin flip heads I win, tails you loose approach of forcing his opponent to let him through or accepting contact.  It's not really racing at that point.

I want to watch them race, but now I fear for both of them when they are in the same part of the track.  If there was a third person even 20 points closer in the race for the title, they would be licking their lips at the thought of the lead two taking each other out race after race.  To my mind Max really needs to dial down the aggression a notch.  He is his own worst enemy this season. He has a really fast car, possibly the best car.  All he needs to do is keep it on the road and he has a really good chance of the title.  I don't see why you would invite all that contact from a position of strength. 

Well I can see why he does it, but it does not speak well of him.

A fair and balanced post. I would say for Lewis to leave Max enough (or at least more than zero) room wouldn't have meant turning right on a left, it would have meant not going as far left as he did, and not taking the racing line knowing someone was alongside him and he did know someone was alongside him.  But we know Max knew this too, and could have backed out of the move. I think Max knew there would be an accident, not because it was unavoidable, but because he also knew Lewis wasn't going to adjust his angle for the corner enough to avoid it.

I agree that I also fear when both are on the same piece of track these days, and that's likely to be quite often.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I don't think Max ever gets alongside - I think pretty much every other driver on the grid, including Lewis as he proved earlier the race, gives up on the corner and cuts it, the accident is a choice that Verstappen makes. 

Max's mindset is that everyone should give way to him, that is his god given right, anyone that is in his way is by default doing the wrong thing, in this case, he's heated from the pit stop, he's involved in a tough battle for the title and he's unwilling to consider ceding the corner despite being behind and despite there being no room for him to do anything but cut the corner, so he chooses to put his car into a place where he knows he'll hit Lewis. 

The accident is a decision that Max makes and I think that's recognised by the stewards.

His behaviour immediately following the accident is disgraceful and I think exposes a lack of character, it's a boy kicking his bike - that's what you get if you don't give me space - it's indicative of the attitude he has to racing and I suspect to life where he is the only human being on the planet that matters. He's appalled that he hasn't been given his own way.

The psychological thing with Max where his enormous sense of entitlement leads him into poor decisions and endangers others drivers is a massive weakness and I would hate for him to win a world championship without learning the lesson that the world is repeatedly trying to teach him.

He's a good enough driver to be world champion, but he's not a good enough man to deserve it.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Formula 1 has been crying out for this kind of intense battling for years now, it’s racing and it means at times there will be close shaves and comings-together, this is when F1 is at its most exciting.

I don’t want to see anyone die or get seriously injured but I do want to see two people giving everything to get and stay in front of their rival(s).

Long may it continue I say.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Formula 1 has been crying out for this kind of intense battling for years now, it’s racing and it means at times there will be close shaves and comings-together, this is when F1 is at its most exciting.

I don’t want to see anyone die or get seriously injured but I do want to see two people giving everything to get and stay in front of their rival(s).

Long may it continue I say.

I'm loving this season too, it is a thriller, but I want it to continue on the track.  That race could have been a classic if Max had dropped in behind Lewis and just raced him.  Lando was in front of Lewis, so there were all sorts of variables still to come into play that were cut short with an unnecessary crash.  I can't remember exactly the race situation at the time of the incident, but it would only have been made more lively with the two fastest drivers battling each other whilst trying to reel in the slower (but still very competitive) drivers ahead.

Lewis and Max have cars that are so close together in performance that overtaking at almost any track will not be a clear-cut thing.  It will require a level of maturity and sportsmanship that is not apparent at the moment for almost any wheel to wheel race between the two to finish on the circuit. I'm already tired of having them bump into each other.  In short, it's not intense battling if it only lasts for one corner.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jackie Stewart criticising Verstappen, saying he can’t believe he didn’t check he was alright. 

Valid criticism I think, considering his car was parked on Lewis’s head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter


 

 

More cutting edge fashion from Lewis 

47894849-9988637-y-m-81_1631604484624.jp
 

Quote

Lewis Hamilton sported a lace net skirt over his suit on Monday as he  joined the biggest stars in showbusiness at the Met Gala in New York.

The Formula 1 driver, 36, looked suave in a slick black suit with shiny black loafers.

And putting a very modern twist on the classic look he paired black blazer and trousers with a see-through mesh shirt and netted veil skirt

Link

Seems like high fashion these days is the most ridiculous thing you’re prepared to wear that’ll get you into the papers (even if you looks like a total idiot).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Genie said:


 

 

More cutting edge fashion from Lewis 

47894849-9988637-y-m-81_1631604484624.jp
 

Link

Seems like high fashion these days is the most ridiculous thing you’re prepared to wear that’ll get you into the papers (even if you looks like a total idiot).

 

Quote

The Met Gala, formally called the Costume Institute Gala or the Costume Institute Benefit and also known as the Met Ball, is an annual fundraising gala for the benefit of the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York City. It marks the opening of the Costume Institute's annual fashion exhibit.[4] Each year's event celebrates the theme of that year's Costume Institute exhibition, and the exhibition sets the tone for the formal dress of the night, since guests are expected to choose their fashion to match the theme of the exhibit.

It’s an incredibly self indulgent celebrity event, but the purpose of the dress code is to be wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I just had a thunk.  We know the 2 sprint races this season have had chaotic Sundays at the front of the grid.  I wonder if there's a good reason for that. It's like the Saturday sprint race gives Max & Lewis a sneak preview of how the grand prix is going to go the next day, and the driver who doesn't like this glimpse into the future (Lewis at Silverstone and Max at Monza) then takes the opportunity to "racing incident" the other driver off the road.

It is one thing the sprint race does that qualifying doesn't. It gives a representative body of evidence of how the cars will match up in anger.

Interlagos should be interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Genie said:


 

 

More cutting edge fashion from Lewis 

47894849-9988637-y-m-81_1631604484624.jp
 

Link

Seems like high fashion these days is the most ridiculous thing you’re prepared to wear that’ll get you into the papers (even if you looks like a total idiot).

 

That's incredibly subdued compared to some of the outfits on display there

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, BOF said:

I just had a thunk.  We know the 2 sprint races this season have had chaotic Sundays at the front of the grid.  I wonder if there's a good reason for that. It's like the Saturday sprint race gives Max & Lewis a sneak preview of how the grand prix is going to go the next day, and the driver who doesn't like this glimpse into the future (Lewis at Silverstone and Max at Monza) then takes the opportunity to "racing incident" the other driver off the road.

It is one thing the sprint race does that qualifying doesn't. It gives a representative body of evidence of how the cars will match up in anger.

Interlagos should be interesting.

It's an interesting theory, but I'm not going with it. Schumacher would do that, I always felt that his assisted accidents were the result of a keen strategic brain; that he knew when the accident might happen, where it would happen and how it would happen, well in advance of it. I think in the case of Max's accident it was more a tantrum, I don't think he envisaged a crash going into the chicane, I think he was just furious and determined to get past and when it didn't happen he did the F1 equivalent of a rage quit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again I'd encourage people to watch Max's onboard footage and see how far back he came from trying to go for that overtake.

It's an absolutely ridiculous position to be trying an overtake from. If Mazepin had tried a move like that we'd all be laughing at how ridiculous it is

 

First part of this clip:

 

 

Edited by Stevo985
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again I'd encourage people to watch Max's onboard footage and see how far back he came from trying to go for that overtake.

It's an absolutely ridiculous position to be trying an overtake from. If Mazepin had tried a move like that we'd all be laughing at how ridiculous it is

 

First part of this clip:

 

 

Video unavailable for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â