Formula One - 2021

BOF

The title race I was hoping for is starting to fade away. The Mercedes is clearly quicker car now, far better strategy today and well had a 2nd car to help with that. 

Now we just have to listen to Toto saying the Merc is so slow while they stroll ahead in the Championship battle 😞

Just now, Farlz said:

The title race I was hoping for is starting to fade away. The Mercedes is clearly quicker car now, far better strategy today and well had a 2nd car to help with that. 

Now we just have to listen to Toto saying the Merc is so slow while they stroll ahead in the Championship battle 😞

Barcelona is always a good track for them though, I'm still hopeful that there is plenty of life left in this title race. Monaco should be a much better track for RB

2 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Monaco should be a much better track for RB

Monaco is by far my least favourite race. All the fawning over the place, and they can’t even race there.

5 hours ago, Farlz said:

This is why I find motorsports less fun then it could have been. It would have been a lot more fun if all the cars were engineered the same way. Thus drivers decided the outcome. 

On 08/05/2021 at 15:38, DCJonah said:

What's happened to Aston Martin? I thought their car was arguably best of the rest last year. 

Cus last year they basically copied the title winning mercedes from the year before down to the break ducts and this year it's largely the same car but they've had to change the aero work on there own

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This is why I find motorsports less fun then it could have been. It would have been a lot more fun if all the cars were engineered the same way. Thus drivers decided the outcome. 

Tried that with a1gp, it fell on its arse after a few years

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Monaco is by far my least favourite race. All the fawning over the place, and they can’t even race there.

Monaco is only on the grid for historical reasons, it's like it can't be F1 without Ferrari or without Monaco 

Once quali is over the FIA should award points based on that, and then on race day the drivers should race on Raleigh choppers for entertainment IMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Monaco is only on the grid for historical reasons, it's like it can't be F1 without Ferrari or without Monaco 

Once quali is over the FIA should award points based on that, and then on race day the drivers should race on Raleigh choppers for entertainment IMO

Yep, it’s the only “circuit” on the grid that doesn’t pay to be on the calendar too I believe.

Imagine if just for Monaco they were racing in some kind of (safety updated) smaller legacy car - all identical. A nod to history, have a race all about the driver and keep it on the calendar while having a legitimately interesting event.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Yep, it’s the only “circuit” on the grid that doesn’t pay to be on the calendar too I believe.

I'm not sure if that's true but it wouldn't surprise me as because it's so historical celebrities love to be pictured at the Monaco GP, either on a boat at the harbour watching it or in the garage as a special guest which then shows F1 attracts the rich and the glamorous

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why?

It lasted for 4 years, initially it was a bit of a success as the teams were represented as countries and could only have drivers from the representing country, in the end it was basically, well rubbish and folded as it wasn't making money 

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

If you're using the umbrella term 'motorsport' then racing series' where the cars are engineered the same way far outnumber racing series' where individual constructors create their own cars. So I think motorsport could be more fun for you if you watch the right races.  There are plenty of single spec series' lower on the ladder than Formula One where everyone has the same chassis and engine (F2 & F3 for a start!), and the only variables are the driver and the crew. F1 has never been about that, nor does it want to be.

14 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Tried that with a1gp, it fell on its arse after a few years

:lol: Remember that! And don't forget another doomed 'Super League' attempt ...

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

If you're using the umbrella term 'motorsport' then racing series' where the cars are engineered the same way far outnumber racing series' where individual constructors create their own cars. So I think motorsport could be more fun for you if you watch the right races.  There are plenty of single spec series' lower on the ladder than Formula One where everyone has the same chassis and engine (F2 & F3 for a start!), and the only variables are the driver and the crew. F1 has never been about that, nor does it want to be.

Well the same goes for MotoGP for instance. IIRC, Yamaha and Honda have won almost everything. And there's definate design difference between the engines. So I assume it's a money thing where the companies that put in the most money also dominate. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well the same goes for MotoGP for instance. IIRC, Yamaha and Honda have won almost everything. And there's definate design difference between the engines. So I assume it's a money thing where the companies that put in the most money also dominate. 

Yeah the pinnacle categories will have constructors who are also interested in putting themselves in the shop window and pitting themselves against each other. Win Sunday, sell Monday. Although in bikes I believe that's more relevant in Superbikes where you can pretty much go into a shop and buy the bike that won the superbike race the day before, save for a few mods. Not the case in MotoGP (or F1 funnily enough :P).

And I'm not being facetious when I say that some people prefer single spec series for that reason and that might be what you're looking for. At least it's not difficult to find.  In fact it's harder to find non-single spec series. It just happens that they tend to be at the top end of their ladders. F1, MotoGP, DTM, BTCC, Indycar, Sportscars. I'd say the vast vast majority of everything below that is single spec.

VW Beetle drag racing is lots of fun.

What you do is, you borrow your girlfriend’s Beetle, take it to a ‘run wot ya brung’ drag strip. Scream it off the line, get it to almost 60mph in third and it blows up.

Then you walk back to the tent to find your girlfriend and try and put a positive spin on things.

image.jpeg.0c4aa8eba9581953914e89f38f99b5fd.jpeg

(That is not a picture of her car, but it is a picture of Keith. Keith persuaded me racing her car would be just fine)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Turkish Grand Prix cancelled, replaced with a second race at Austria

Good.

• Like 2