Formula One - 2021

BOF

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

0.2mm was the margin for Mercedes - about the thickness of the line in the middle of this sentence.

Fair play to Verstappen and his eyesight.

He went over because the team had suspicions. Not because he has laser vision 😁

1 minute ago, BOF said:

He went over because the team had suspicions. Not because he has laser vision 😁

How do you get suspicions over 0.2mm?

It's a strange one.

I mean the rules is the rules - the punishment seems a bit severe for being an eyelash outside the limit, it would be impossible to do that on purpose - but you have to have a limit somewhere - The weird thing is Red Bulls involvement - there's something very strange about another team getting wind of it and getting over to make sure it was picked up - it's the F1 equivalent of running fifty yards and brandishing a fake red card.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

How do you get suspicions over 0.2mm?

It's a strange one.

I mean the rules is the rules - the punishment seems a bit severe for being an eyelash outside the limit, it would be impossible to do that on purpose - but you have to have a limit somewhere - The weird thing is Red Bulls involvement - there's something very strange about another team getting wind of it and getting over to make sure it was picked up - it's the F1 equivalent of running fifty yards and brandishing a fake red card.

If Red Bull knew then Mercedes knew. It’s all very odd. I wonder if the truth will ever come out. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Red Bull knew then Mercedes knew. It’s all very odd. I wonder if the truth will ever come out. 

Neither team could have known in advance, the difference is the equivalent of pulling the plastic protection sheet off your new phone, that's the thickness we're talking about, and the surface area it was applied to.

For me it looks like the FIA did the test and came up with the error - I'd guess because it's so incredibly marginal that they were considering just writing it off or issuing something very light, Red Bull will have got a whisper of that and sent Verstappen in to make a great big point of it to try to ensure there was a punishment and it was a heavy as possible.

Mercedes have broken the rules and yet somehow Red Bull have come out of it looking like the bigger throbber.

The FIA need to get a grip on both teams - all of these cars will have some sort of technical fault most of the time, and right now the hatred the two team principals have for each other is affecting the way the Championship works - the sport is racing, not watching CEO's bicker for points or send in gangs of engineers pointing at microscopic alterations to each others cars. 

Seeing Red Bull having to surround the back of their car on the grid as a result of an accusation from Mercedes is ridiculous - both teams are acting like kids.