Covid outbreak Jan 2021

NurembergVillan

Also if we do suffer an heavy defeat tomorrow then that won't really be an indication that none of our youngsters are ready, there's a big difference between a bunch of youngsters playing together against Liverpool, and one or two of them playing with the first team. We already know from the EFL Trophy that they will struggle as a group against senior opposition, but that's not to say one or two of them wouldn't look a lot better if you put them in the first team with better and more experienced players..

• Like 4

At least I no.longer have to wake up at 4am to watch the game. 

Not a chance I'm doing that to watch us lose by a cricket score to Liverpool as they exact their revenge for the 7-2.

Our best season in yonks, now under threat of collapse due to covid.

Out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle yet again and now we face our toughest run of games with players who conceded 8 goals to a league 1 side.

I can see this season not even finishing.

Absolutely gutted.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, richp999 said:

I would normally agree, but I think I'd rather forfeit the game due covid than take a beating. 

Id like to remember this season as having beaten Liverpool 7-2.. Not giving them the chance to say 'well we beat you 8-1 in the cup' - no one will remember we played the u-23's.. It'll just be 'Liverpool thrash Aston villa' blah blah blah

I'm normally quite positive about going full on to get a good cup run, but this year I'm just not that bothered about the cups., at all

Agreed. I think its Villa just being polite after the 2019 League Cup debacle. The U23 have not pulled up any trees in the football trophy or whatever its called nowadays and that's playing either league one or two sides.

Going back to the Euros there is no way that Uefa will just gladly scrap it. It is worth hundreds of millions for the organisation. Even if it did happen I can't see it happening as played with thousands of fans tramping around European cities for a month. I suppose what could happen it just move it to one country say France  or Germany with no crowds and base it around half a dozen grounds. It would be incredibly soulless though, hardly the festival of football that is usually is.

I don't think we'll see anything like Liverpool's first team - but I do think we'll see some of their bench players.

If we're calling Clark back to play then it could be a heavy defeat, but it's a chance for some valuable experience for the young players and the big difference between it and a forfeit is the TV money - we shouldn't underestimate the difference another half a million pounds makes.

First and foremost hope the players and staff are doing well and the ones who may have symptoms recover quickly.  This definitely throughs a wrench into our PL season. Thank goodness we've already picked-up a decent number of points and are well away from a relegation scrap.

I have changed my mind as I read through this thread . . . originally was quite keen to play the game if we can put a team out, but I don't think Liverpool beating our U18s 15-0 is better than simply forfeiting the game.

Is there any chance that Liverpool have agreed to play their youth team as well, and that's why we're okay with it?

Otherwise it just seems like a ritual slaughter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

This is getting ridiculous now. Maybe it's time to suspend the season again. Every week fixtures are either being called off or we have a farce like this.

Just no. Watching football is one of the only things keeping everybody sane.

• Like 2

Just thought to look at the record FA cup defeat in case for what ever reason they play a strong side and if there was a chance. 

Preston beat Hyde 26-0 in 1887 so hopefully we should be safe on that count 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

At least I no.longer have to wake up at 4am to watch the game. 

Not a chance I'm doing that to watch us lose by a cricket score to Liverpool as they exact their revenge for the 7-2.

Our best season in yonks, now under threat of collapse due to covid.

Out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle yet again and now we face our toughest run of games with players who conceded 8 goals to a league 1 side.

I can see this season not even finishing.

Absolutely gutted.

Spurs and possibly Everton games will be cancelled, no chance we should be made to go ahead with those given Man. City can click their fingers and cancel games hours before kick off.

No idea when those will be in the schedule but in the short term it's the righ thing to do.

Hopefully Newcastle get knocked out by Arsenal in the cup as they should be and we can play that on 4th round weekend so that's one fixture to get out of the way and the squad should be healthy by then unless a couple get a dose of long covid but let's hope not.

• Like 2

So we continue to play in the Cup but Newcastle and City can cancel their league games with a much lower outbreak amongst staff and players?

I understand why we need to do it but it’s bloody annoying we’ve essentially lost out whereas other clubs have faired better.

we’d have likely nailed Newcastle with a smaller squad. Hopefully we hammer them anyway. Be bloody livid otherwise if we drop points 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

So we continue to play in the Cup but Newcastle and City can cancel their league games with a much lower outbreak amongst staff and players?

The Cup and League are managed by different bodies - our game against Spurs will most likely be postponed (unless we're miraculously well by then).

• Like 1

A quick look on Spurs forums and they're of a mind that if we can put out a team of kids for Liverpool we should put out a team of kids for the game against them too.

From their perspective, we're giving them a problem that isn't their fault.

I don't think it'll work out that way, the Premier league have established a precedent and I think we will end up postponing and giving Spurs that fixture problem.

• Like 3

The Premier League have set a standard as to what happens, it would be manifestly unfair to make us play a premier league fixture when other clubs haven't had to when COVID affected, including games that would have been against us.

I think the FA Cup is a different kettle of fish because the competition can't advance if certain games aren't played. The Premier League can absolutely reschedule.

• Like 1

Â