Authentic Beer for a Villa Game

DWG_Pauly

Carling

Edit: As you’re not from around here I should probably add a few more words. Carling is a very popular beer in the UK but it also has a reputation as a bit chavvy (might need to google that). It’s made locally in Burton.

Villa has a tie in with the beer brand Purity which is very nice so I imagine this is all you can get in the ground, if it ever re-opens.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

If I were to enjoy a beer during a match, what would I drink if I wanted to have an authentic Birmingham area pub/stadium experience?

They sell Heineken in the ground in bottles (plus other beer).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

If I were to enjoy a beer during a match, what would I drink if I wanted to have an authentic Birmingham area pub/stadium experience?

Carling is to the UK what Bud is to the US (going by your profile info) so its widely consumed and available, but not particularly loved. 

12 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

i would normally drink a load of vodka literally just before going in the ground... and that buzz would keep me going for the first hour.

40 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

You certainly wouldn't be drinking anything in Central Birmingham for an authentic Villa drinking experience................ Apparently. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, DWG_Pauly said:

Not available in Texas at the moment, but just as well. I can't stand Bud. 

Budweiser may be 'The King of Beers' but is absolutely awful.  Here in NC, all everybody seems to drink. Either that, Coors, or Miller🤮

Purity is a decent enough ale - it's just got a Villa label on it at our ground but it's a normal ale that can be brought across the country. 

Honestly, you're overthinking it. People just drink what they like, or, if they're in the ground,. the least shit thing they can get their hands on, because anything you can get in a stadium is overpriced mass produced crap.

You'd never see someone in a pub, look at their drink, and think "he must be a brummie", just enjoy the game and drink what you like. Ideally a beer to wash down your balti pie, but that's another topic ;) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just now, Big Salad said:

Budweiser may be 'The King of Beers' but is absolutely awful.  Here in NC, all everybody seems to drink. Either that, Coors, or Miller🤮

Agreed. It's Miller Lite and Bud here in DFW and I don't know why. 

Actually if you were to visit Villa Park, indeed Birmingham and asked me to recommend a Pub to go to, The Bartons Arms would be top of my list by a country mile. 

A stunning pub, just stunning and so much history. It is owned by Oakham brewery so if you can get hold of anything from them that's what you would most likely be offered in The Bartons Arms.  My favourite is Citra and is a good enough reason to go to the pub in it's own right. 

https://www.thebartonsarms.com

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I end up drinking Heineken when at Villa Park.

But whatever you decide to drink, for the authentic experience, before the match you should stand in front of your fridge and wait ten minutes (at least) before collecting your drink.

Then stand in a hallway or corridor staring at sky sports and unsuccessfully try to intake all the results and tables before they move onto the next division.

If you’re going to the toilet, ideally you’ll have twenty to thirty men already in situ for when you go in, half of whom will be smoking. When you need to wash your hands, the water should ideally be running at approximately 235 degrees Celsius (455 Fahrenheit). Then, exiting out of the toilet through the correct way, you should encounter another half a dozen men or so pushing their way through impeding you, having ignored the “exit only” sign.

When kick off approaches, discard any drink you may have and make way to your living room to watch the match. If you want to replicate the upper Holte, you should be standing throughout the entire match. You can replicate the sounds of your fellow supporters by irrationally screaming out loud the posts contained within the VT match day thread.

At the end of the match, quickly move to your nearest train station, before estimating the number of people in front of you and whether there’s going to be enough room for you on the first train that arrives. Vow to yourself you’ll get out quicker after the next game when the train departs without you.

Brilliant. I can smell this post.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If you want to replicate the upper Holte, you should be standing throughout the entire match. You can replicate the sounds of your fellow supporters by irrationally screaming out loud the posts contained within the VT match day thread.

Off topic, but the last game I went to, some miserable, sour faced old words removed sat a third of the way up the upper holte gave me some proper **** aggro for standing. In the upper holte. Not evemn persistently, just when we were attacking down our end. Nothing to do with this post, but it's been over a year, and I'm still really **** pissed off every time I think of them. 

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

a Balti pie would make it an authentic Villa/Brummie experience.

(though I hear Leicester started selling them in the ground as well).

Trader Joes sells them ready-made in the states. I'm able to, so will be having this!

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You certainly wouldn't be drinking anything in Central Birmingham for an authentic Villa drinking experience................ Apparently. 

Can't get to the bar apparently because of all the small heath fans packing out the pubs. 

Â