Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

36 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

My bigger worry is if we agree to play tomorrow, we can't realistically get out of the Spurs game.

Different sporting bodies with different approaches.

The FA don't have the power to reschedule - the Premier league do - the Premier league can move other fixtures around for its own benefit. There will be no correlation between the decisions on the two games.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thing is, if Barry was being considered as a possibility for the bench, he'd have been training with the first team all week anyway. 

Some of the first team will be healthy, some of the U23 team won't - I'm not sure how it works with isolating in football, but we might see a right mishmash.

Mings lining up alongside some random 17-year old only SGC has heard of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

If we can field a squad we should play the game. We were underdogs in the cup anyway and Liverpool did the same for us last year. 

I didn't see us as the underdogs tomorrow, with home advantage and Liverpool's current form. As for last season, Liverpool didn't do anything for us, they did it for themselves. They prioritised another game and showed a total disregard for the FA Cup, by fielding an entire team of kids against us. It was their choice last season, we have no choice this time.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Our U23s usually train at Bodymoor Heath as well, if they returned to training this week, then for all we know we could have more academy players out than first team squad players.

I guess it depends on the game Smith was training them for - if he was looking to play some of the U23's or have them on the bench anyway for this game, they'll have been training with the first team - if not, they'll have been just down the road at the U23's training hub, they've got their own pitches, gym, changing and massage facilities with a separate entrance and car park - it's possible that a number of them won't have mixed much at all. 

That said, with the lack of fixtures for the youth teams at the moment, it's possible that the likes of Swinkels and Bogarde might have been allowed home for a little while and might not even be in the country.

I think it'll be a complete mystery until they announce the team.

Presumably we willl have some first team players still able to play, so I think we'll probably just have to play a mix of those and U23 players. Liverpool could do the same as well, if the game goes ahead then they will probably be even more reluctant than they was to play their better players, so in that sense we might not be at as big a disadvantage as it seems.

• Like 1

What a joke that this is still going ahead. Seasons passed when I’ve seen round 3 games being played on round 4 game week due to postponements. 

Why even put more people at risk? Liverpool players and staff included. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Big time. Deano all the way.

Either that or battleships.

This.

You thought 2020 was weird well here comes 2021 straight out of the blocks with a 90 mins game of subbuteo between a jovial Dean Smith and an overly aggressive Juergen Klopp shown live on BBC1. 

I feel we should just embrace the madness at this point. 

How do we make this happen? A hashtag, write to our MP? 

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

So opposition players out = game postponed.

Villa players out = game on and we basically forfeit by playing the kids. 

Brilliant. 

Different competition though. At least the PL are being consistent. FA need to nail their colours to the mast though if fielding u23s and academy players is what they are saying teams have to do if first team falls out, needs to be applicable to all teams. Be uproar if we have to go ahead and then they change tact in line with the PL, for other games.

• Like 1

It’s a complete farce we have to play our kids but I guess at least it evens it up with Liverpool last year. Just goes to show how easily covid will spread around a squad once it’s present, and other clubs will surely take note of how quickly it has spread around BMH.

Not expecting the game to be competitive but it’s still more competitive than forfeiting. Completely understand why it can’t be postponed as well as there’s almost no chance of us playing before the 4th round kicks off and we don’t want that fixture congestion anyway if we can avoid it.

What will be interesting is whether we are setting a precedent for the premier league games as well. Will we now be expected to play our kids against Spurs, or will the PL allow us to postpone it like Newcastle/City have done? I’m worried we are shooting ourselves in the foot a bit and that we won’t get the same treatment as other clubs have as a result.

5 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

What will be interesting is whether we are setting a precedent for the premier league games as well. Will we now be expected to play our kids against Spurs, or will the PL allow us to postpone it like Newcastle/City have done? I’m worried we are shooting ourselves in the foot a bit and that we won’t get the same treatment as other clubs have as a result.

Don't you have to submit squad numbers though to the PL before deadline day ? If players or coaching staff within a submitted 25 man squad for a competition fall foul of covid, the game has to be called off. FA cup is completely different. The kids we'll play tomorrow are not in our 25 man squad. Tomorrow could go ahead and spurs game still be off. I've no fear Villa are setting any precedent here. It's just unfortunate. Pigeon holed by 2 different competition rules.

• Like 1

Will Liverpool want to risk sending their first team squad players down for this? Can see U23s vs U23s happening here.

Or Klopp will want revenge for the 7-2 and we’ll be up against Salah, Mané et al...

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Don't you have to submit squad numbers though to the PL before deadline day ? If players or coaching staff within a submitted 25 man squad for a competition fall foul of covid, the game has to be called off. FA cup is completely different. The kids we'll play tomorrow are not in our 25 man squad. Tomorrow could go ahead and spurs game still be off. I've no fear Villa are setting any precedent here. It's just unfortunate. Pigeon holed by 2 different competition rules.

Youth players don’t count toward the 25 man squad, you can have as many as you like I think. Don’t think the PL will make us play the kids vs Spurs though.

• Like 1