Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

If we play this it could be down to the kids, as even if they let us play again, where would we fit another game in during the coming weeks? Giving other teams a bye makes a mockery of the competition and if the FA apply that rule, then why doesn't the PL? No real winners here. :(

• Thanks 1

If both clubs agreed to use entire U23 squad I’d be up for it, but as the governing bodies have passes to city and Newcastle with milder outbreaks, I think we should postpone and rearrange. 

that said with January so heavily contested on fixtures it’s hard to see when.

and if they make us play I’ll be livid, that’s a double whammy of not playing a tepid Newcastle and is also losing out due to covid outbreak ourselves 

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Would none of our u23 squad have used the training ground or come into contact with our first team?

think this is the part people are missing. BMH is closed. the womens game vs arsenal is now off too. so even if we were to 'play the kids' they'd have no prep time whatsoever before going up against salah et al.

4 hours ago, cb_82 said:

Sorry maybe been missed as was in a previous post but my particular passion on all of this is that with the congestion the big 6 face this year there will be a real temptation from them to rest players in the FA cup even more than ever especially as the PL and CL races hot up and so it feels with us being pretty safe already this is the year to have a real go

Hey! I am not demeaning the FA Cup at all....its a famous old trophy.....just trying to put in perspective progress and the League is the bread and butter.....the FA Cup, the sugary dessert.

Not really a surprise. Given all the mixing between teams from different leagues the 3rd round will  probably results in loads of league  games being called off.

Football taking a circuit break is about as inevitable as a government U turn. It's going to happen. It's going to be the mid winter break that they planned anyway.

I thought it was optimistic that they could complete a full season with one less month in September. Now i think its delusional.  No chance.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure whether they want it either! :)

I want a game of stone paper scissors between Smith and Klopp to determine who goes through

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its all good saying play the kids but then the same would be expected vs spurs as rest of squad will be isolating. 

No it wouldn't. Different competition, we will be allowed to  postpone the Spurs and Everton games without penalty

The FA Cup rules say we have to play if we can field 14 players including youth players which we probably can!!

If we can field a squad we should play the game. We were underdogs in the cup anyway and Liverpool did the same for us last year. 

My bigger worry is if we agree to play tomorrow, we can't realistically get out of the Spurs game and I think too bad defeats in quick succession (without any longer term fitness issues) could have a real damage to our confidence and our momentum

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Play Louie Barry!

Thing is, if Barry was being considered as a possibility for the bench, he'd have been training with the first team all week anyway. 

Some of the first team will be healthy, some of the U23 team won't - I'm not sure how it works with isolating in football, but we might see a right mishmash.

• Like 1