Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

As far as I’m concerned Liverpool can field who they want and we can’t complain. I’m amazed it’s going ahead, but it is and if we have to field U23s so be it. They have no obligation to do the same. I don’t expect them to field their strongest XI but whatever XI they do have will definitely obliterate ours. So I won’t bother watching as it seems to be a waste of everyone’s time (which in my opinion makes it no different to any other domestic cup fixture these days). 

I just hope this doesn't shatter any of our youngster's confidence

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I just hope this doesn't shatter any of our youngster's confidence

It won't. They'll never play collectively together at senior level as an 11 probably ever again. This is a footballing anomaly. At most 2 or 3 fellas out of this crop will make it into the first team with senior pros. Some get released and play lower league football. They should enjoy tonight for what it is. And who knows, one or 2 can put themselves in the shop window for a loan this month.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Will be incredibly interesting to see the line-ups in this one, I don't think Liverpool will risk playing many first team players, their schedule is busy enough, so it will be mainly fringe players I'd of thought, but then they will want to ensure there's no embarrassment... tricky balance to be found there.

From our point of view it's an interesting decision to let the game go ahead, I can understand wanting to get the cup out of the way, in an already congested season and no idea when we will be able to fulfil league games again a cup run isn't really desired now, and the fans are hardly going to be up in arms. There's a few ways to look at it, you could say they are dropping the kids in it, which could damage their development, or they are showing their faith in those players and giving them valuable experience.

I'm no fan of Liverpool, I've never known them to act with any degree of class before and so I don't expect them to start now.

I just hope our boys do themselves justice, the score line should be irrelevant, just take what they can from the experience and use it to improve and develop.

The only positive that I can see is that the club will get the BT cash, which would not had happened otherwise. It will be a positive for the young lads, so long as they are not really put to the sword. Given what we did to their first team, I fear Liverpool will see this as a way to get some sort of revenge (although I don't see there would be much, if any to be had by going for a really big score). The only point that I differ on, is that I along with a few other fans, would have desired a cup run (so long as that run ended with us picking up the trophy). :hooray:   Come on you Villa lads, we are all behind you! 

9 minutes ago, John said:

The only positive that I can see is that the club will get the BT cash, which would not had happened otherwise. It will be a positive for the young lads, so long as they are not really put to the sword. Given what we did to their first team, I fear Liverpool will see this as a way to get some sort of revenge (although I don't see there would be much, if any to be had by going for a really big score). The only point that I differ on, is that I along with a few other fans, would have desired a cup run (so long as that run ended with us picking up the trophy). :hooray:   Come on you Villa lads, we are all behind you! 

I don't think there's many fans that don't want a cup run, but I think circumstances dictate many would understand the clubs decision, having a good season in the league helps as well of course!

Good point about the BT money, hadn't considered that, with income streams down it's more important than ever we don't turn that cash down.

I do worry if the score line gets ridiculous though, it could do irreparable damage to some of our youth players. 

I'll support the lads all the way though, hope they do themselves proud, it's an incredible opportunity for them.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1

The physicality and the conditioning was the alarming thing that stood out for me when we beat their kids 5-0. It'll be cruel for our boys. Please don't have a pop, be negative etc because this will be a heavy defeat, no 2 ways about it. Fair play to the kids for stepping in and getting this game played and i hope their development continues on an upward curve regardless of tonight's result.

My view would be start the game and see how it goes. If Liverpool start taking the piss and try to pile the goals in then i'd instruct the Villa kids to start kicking and fouling them! Like Sheff Utd against the Baggies in the battle of Bramall Lane a few years back! 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool get the score to a certain amount and then ease off a bit once they know the game is won. When we beat them by five last season, Smith went into their dressing room after the game to give their youngsters a bit of encouragement and to tell them not feel bad about the scoreline.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

My view would be start the game and see how it goes. If Liverpool start taking the piss and try to pile the goals in then i'd instruct the Villa kids to start kicking and fouling them! Like Sheff Utd against the Baggies in the battle of Bramall Lane a few years back! 

I met a sheff utd fan back in the day online and went up to "see" her that weekend. She is a ST and got me a ticket for that game. Needless to say (in her local parlance) "we didn't have us jump the neet" as she was too pissed off; luckily I went up the night before and to be fair i was still knackered as she was a club runner and fit as f*** in more ways than one.

Walking back to the car, i was chatting to a few ollbeeyun fans about the game and they said it wor fair to call it off (no pleasing some !). I made some wise crack about warnock within her earshot and that didn't obviously help my chances of a replay !

• Haha 3