Tommy Docherty

John

Hope I have done this right.   Very sad to say the Guardian is reporting the passing of former Villa Manager Tommy Docherty  RIP Tommy you gave me one of the best years ever as a Villa fan 😢

“He’s up Mrs Brown.... “ 😂😂

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/31/tommy-docherty-former-manchester-united-and-scotland-manager-dies-aged-92

PA Media
Thu 31 Dec 2020 16.29 GMT

The former Manchester United [Aston Villa] and Scotland manager Tommy Docherty has died at the age of 92 following a long illness, his family have announced.

Docherty, who was known as ‘The Doc’, spent nine years as a player with Preston and won 25 caps for Scotland. He went on to manage 12 clubs, including Chelsea, Aston Villa and Derby, and had a stint in charge of Scotland. 

But he was best known for his five-year spell at Old Trafford, overseeing an FA Cup final win over Bob Paisley’s Liverpool in 1977. 

Tommy Docherty at the centre of Manchester United’s celebrations after winning the 1977 FA Cup final. Photograph: Allsport Msi/ALLSPORT

Docherty died at home in the north-west on 31 December. A family spokesperson said in a statement released to the PA news agency: “Tommy passed away peacefully surrounded by his family at home. He was a much-loved husband, father and papa and will be terribly missed. We ask that our privacy be respected at this time. There will be no further comment.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Condolences to the family. Before my time but a larger than life character who had some successes on the way at Chelsea and post Busby United. Always spoke well about the Villa as I think he had been coached by Jimmy Hogan as a youth player at Celtic. Although the results were not that impressive by all accounts he helped Villa turn around at least by getting people back to Villa Park. 

• Like 1

A couple of quotes from the Doc: 

After being sacked from the club: 

"Aston Villa will play in the European Cup one day"

After being told by HDE “I'm right behind you.”  He responded:

“If you don't mind, chairman, I'd rather have you in front of me, where I can see you.”

• Haha 4

First games at Villa were when the Doc was manager. Used to stand at the bottom of the witton end and the dugouts were at the then Witton Lane stand and when he walked around he used to throw a pocket full of coins on the floor for the kids to collect. There wasnt a lot of money around in those days. . He was a legend. RIP 

• Like 2

Villa have got a lot to thank the Doc for. Before he arrived Villa were getting crowds of 12,000, but then he came in and claimed that he could get Villa in the top five of the old first division. I remember him paying £110,000 for the Rioch brothers and standing in the Holte when there were 59,000 watching us beat Southampton in a cup replay. There was never a dull moment with the Doc around and he helped to set Villa on the road to success. RIP.

• Like 2

Relit the fires in Villa fans bellies. Charismatic manager. Made us believe that our club could rise again. Even though Ellis pulled the plug on his tenure, and we slid into the old Third Division, Those fires stayed lit. Thanks Tommy.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Just over a month after Docherty arrived  we beat Southampton 2-1 in the FA Cup in front of 52,000 at Villa Park- it was incredible. I remember standing on the Holte at the final whistle wondering how the hell we had gone from 12:000 in November to 52000 10 weeks later. I doubt there has ever been as big a transformation in support anywhere in football. 

One of my favourite ever Villa games that one Mike. Southampton were a decent 1st Division team back then, having finished 7th the season before and with Mick Channon, Terry Paine, Ron Davies and Jimmy Gabriel in the side we beat in front of 59,084 of us, having earned the replay with a 2-2 draw at the Dell. You are 100% correct on the impact his appointment had on the fans. My memory of that was the Boxing Day game with Cardiff and looking around at the 41,250 crowd in the realisation that he had awoken the slumbering lion (our highest gate prior to that had been 20,937 for the first home game of that season). 

We had beaten QPR in front of 39,854 before that in the 3rd Round and it took a Spurs team containing the likes of Jennings, England, Venables, Mullery, Gilzean and  Jimmy Greaves (who scored two) to knock us out 2-3 at White Hart Lane in the 5th Round.  

• Like 2

RIP Doc. He was just before my time, I was chosen when Vic Crowe was manager and we were in the third division. I’ve always said that Vic hasn’t had the recognition he deserved in our turn around. Whilst aware that he had been our previous manager, I hadn’t really realised was how it was Tommy who had initially lit the spark and got Villa Park full again. (Thanks for sharing those memories @MikeMcKenna ).   Obviously Vic did a great job and reversed our direction. 

Sadly now that’s three former managers from that era who are now HEITS. Thank you all and enjoy the view from the sky of the latest journey of our great club. UTV. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

My first Villa game was in the 69/70 season, I was 9 years old, against Hull on the 20th September. I went a few times but the one that stands out is the Doc's last game, v Portsmouth, 2 days before he was sacked. Villa lost 3-5 and I remember standing in the lower Trinity and the fans chanting " the Doc must go" towards the end of the game. Bit of a sad memory of him really. Just a case of the wrong place at the wrong time for him really 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

One of my favourite ever Villa games that one Mike. Southampton were a decent 1st Division team back then, having finished 7th the season before and with Mick Channon, Terry Paine, Ron Davies and Jimmy Gabriel in the side we beat in front of 59,084 of us, having earned the replay with a 2-2 draw at the Dell. You are 100% correct on the impact his appointment had on the fans. My memory of that was the Boxing Day game with Cardiff and looking around at the 41,250 crowd in the realisation that he had awoken the slumbering lion (our highest gate prior to that had been 20,937 for the first home game of that season). 

We had beaten QPR in front of 39,854 before that in the 3rd Round and it took a Spurs team containing the likes of Jennings, England, Venables, Mullery, Gilzean and  Jimmy Greaves (who scored two) to knock us out 2-3 at White Hart Lane in the 5th Round.  

1. Strangely, the 4 managers who has the worst win ratio over at least a season in the Ellis+ era were all Scottish - Tommy, McNeil, McLeish & Lambert.

2. Undoubtedly, Tommy - although ultimately unsuccessful on the field  - did indeed seem to ignite the club (and the fans) from a collective slumber. 

3. That Spurs team also included theexcellent Scottish  inside forward John White - hence the Argus headline "WHITE makes it HARTbreak LANE"

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1

Â