Unable to access off topic

Hornso

Question

I keep being unable to load the Off Topic board within the Off Topic section of the site. Haven't been able to access it for nearly 2 weeks. I've been able to access the most recently replied thread by clicking on the title on the side of the board, but otherwise cannot load the page so I cannot read any other threads. Not loading on my computer nor my phone. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, limpid said:

Would you mind writing this up a little to help others? I don't know what you mean by "site settings" 😊

Sure thing...

So my issue was using a Chrome browser, to which I was signed in on my phone and laptops. 

The Off Topic section was inaccessible if I was signed into VT. If I logged out there was no issue.

Following the guidance on this page, I cleared the cache and cookies using the "History" option in my browser settings. This didn't work.

I then ticked the box in the "Advanced" tab of the "History" option that allowed me to clear "Site Settings".

Site works perfectly now, and seems to be quicker to load. Hope this helps.

IMG_20210109_181334.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • VT Supporter
On 29/12/2020 at 18:29, limpid said:

Please follow the instructions at the top of this forum and if it still doesn't work reply with the requested information. Thanks

Sorted. Cleared cache and cookies previously but didn't work. Cleared site settings in addition, and now works fine.

Cheers.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Hornso said:

I keep being unable to load the Off Topic board within the Off Topic section of the site. Haven't been able to access it for nearly 2 weeks. I've been able to access the most recently replied thread by clicking on the title on the side of the board, but otherwise cannot load the page so I cannot read any other threads. Not loading on my computer nor my phone. 

Please follow the instructions at the top of this forum and if it still doesn't work reply with the requested information. Thanks

• VT Supporter
On 29/12/2020 at 05:27, Hornso said:

Same here. I can access the Off Topic section if I'm signed out, but not signed in.

Same on Android phone, and the Chrome browsers on two different PC's.

Any tips?

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Sorted. Cleared cache and cookies previously but didn't work. Cleared site settings in addition, and now works fine.

Cheers.

Would you mind writing this up a little to help others? I don't know what you mean by "site settings" 😊

Morning all. I'm having issues accessing OT today. I've got no issues with other football, VillaTalk, Tech room, or any other part of the site, just OT.  

I have cleared the cache, and I have been able to access OT using my work phone using another browser, so the issue seems to be with the browser I'm using on my personal phone (Brave). 

Apologies for putting this here because it's clearly an issue with my phone/or brave browser rather than a site issue, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed a better place to ask. 

Any recommendations? 

rsz_screenshot_20210116_112248_combravebrowser.jpg

Edited by av1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, av1 said:

Morning all. I'm having issues accessing OT today. I've got no issues with other football, VillaTalk, Tech room, or any other part of the site, just OT.  

I have cleared the cache, and I have been able to access OT using my work phone using another browser, so the issue seems to be with the browser I'm using on my personal phone (Brave). 

Apologies for putting this here because it's clearly an issue with my phone/or brave browser rather than a site issue, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed a better place to ask. 

Any recommendations? 

Have you tired what the others have posted in this thread?

37 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you tired what the others have posted in this thread?

Hi Limpid. Yes. Cookies, caches, and site settings cleared. I can still access all areas on VT apart from OT. 

As I said though, no issues on my work phone that runs on Chrome, just my personal phone using Brave browser. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, av1 said:

Hi Limpid. Yes. Cookies, caches, and site settings cleared. I can still access all areas on VT apart from OT. 

As I said though, no issues on my work phone that runs on Chrome, just my personal phone using Brave browser. 

Does it work with Chrome on your personal phone? Does it work with Brave's version of private browsing?

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

Does it work with Chrome on your personal phone? Does it work with Brave's version of private browsing?

I've just tried your suggestions and also downloaded brave onto my work phone, it definitely looks like an issue with my personal phone

Personal phone 

Chrome - No access to Off topic

Brave - No access to Off topic

Brave private (hosted by duck duck go) - No access to Off topic

Work phone 

Chrome - No issues

Brave - No issues

Brave private - No issues

Both phones are Android. As I said in my OP it definitely seems like this is some sort of issue with my personal phone rather than a site issue, but I didn't know where better to ask. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've just tried your suggestions and also downloaded brave onto my work phone, it definitely looks like an issue with my personal phone

Personal phone 

Chrome - No access to Off topic

Brave - No access to Off topic

Brave private (hosted by duck duck go) - No access to Off topic

Work phone 

Chrome - No issues

Brave - No issues

Brave private - No issues

Both phones are Android. As I said in my OP it definitely seems like this is some sort of issue with my personal phone rather than a site issue, but I didn't know where better to ask. 

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be something like a VPN - but that doesn't seem very likely for just one forum.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

The only other thing I can think of is that it might be something like a VPN - but that doesn't seem very likely for just one forum.

Thanks. 

I've just read stanbalabans solution to the problem again.  One thing I hadn't tried, which I've just done is to log out and view the site as a quest, and I was able to access OT straight away, so it's only an issue when I'm logged in. 

I'll keep playing around 

Edited by av1

I'm even more confused now. Rodders just liked one of my posts in OT, and when I clicked on the notification it takes me to the thread (I've just posted there). But when I clicked on the off topic tile to take me into the forum I got the error message again.

On 16/01/2021 at 15:27, limpid said:

Just a quick update on my issue Limpid. 

I now think the issue is definitely with my browser (Brave). As well as not being able to access OT, my general experience of VT has been really difficult the last couple of days with everything taking absolutely ages to load. I'm now viewing the site via chrome and it's as fast as it's always been, and I can access OT. 

I'm not having any issues viewing other sites with Brave. I'm not very technical but it just seems my Brave browser doesn't like VT at the moment. 

• Thanks 1
  • VT Supporter
On 16/01/2021 at 19:39, av1 said:

I'm even more confused now. Rodders just liked one of my posts in OT, and when I clicked on the notification it takes me to the thread (I've just posted there). But when I clicked on the off topic tile to take me into the forum I got the error message again.

I had this issue. I could navigate Off Topic via the individual threads (using the 'next unread thread' link), but not the main Off Topic menu. 

Took a few goes, of clearing cache, cookies and site preferences, but got there in the end. Good luck mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • VT Supporter
On 09/01/2021 at 14:14, StanBalaban said:

Sure thing...

So my issue was using a Chrome browser, to which I was signed in on my phone and laptops. 

The Off Topic section was inaccessible if I was signed into VT. If I logged out there was no issue.

Following the guidance on this page, I cleared the cache and cookies using the "History" option in my browser settings. This didn't work.

I then ticked the box in the "Advanced" tab of the "History" option that allowed me to clear "Site Settings".

Site works perfectly now, and seems to be quicker to load. Hope this helps.

IMG_20210109_181334.jpg

Thanks, I've also been having the issue of the Off Topic page not loading on my laptop only when signed in, while individual threads were still ok.

I followed the above advice but took the most limited step first, which was signing out of Google (for Chrome settings) on my laptop (to only erase things stored there not all devices) and erasing only site settings for the last 4 weeks (the shortest time scale with 2 results rather than 0). This was enough to solve it for me.

Edit: that actually hasn't worked. I can load https://www.villatalk.com/forum/6-off-topic/, which apparently I never normally do, but not https://www.villatalk.com/forum/17-off-topic/. Time for more drastic measures.

Edit 2: No dice. Signed back into Google to clear more data and still no good. Not working on other browsers on my laptop that I don't normally use either.

Edited by fightoffyour

• Administrator
9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Still have this problem, but I've learnt to live with it and pretty much only go into Off Topic on my phone. On my laptop I can still access the thread with the most recent post or any that I get a notification in.

If the site had a problem, no-one would be able to access OT.

If your account had a problem, it wouldn't work on the laptop.

I'm afraid that it can only be a problem with your phone. Have you tried installing another browser?

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â