Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Sorry but this Barkley thing is bloody daft. 

2-3 weeks ago he was "close" to playing, according to the manager. There's no way he's not capable of at least providing an option off the bench, unless there's been a massive setback.

The club could do much better on communication around injuries. An old problem never rectified. 

Remember Jack being labelled close to a return for about 2 months before he actually kicked a ball again? This is a loan, and an expensive one, so we can't really afford a similar situation with Ross, particularly with such a brutal run of games ahead, and zero decent options coming off the bench.

And wtf is the deal with Trezeguet???

Smith finds it hard make substitutes when things are going good. You don't think he is gonna rush anyone back with the team playing so good at the moment, might disturb the balance.

8 minutes ago, eholm said:

Not really. We know he’s got a hamstring injury and makes sense to be cautious with it - only 6 weeks since it happened. Prob more of a slight tear than a strain but he’s training so won’t be too long. Rushing this type of injury back too soon could result in reoccurrence with greater severity and then 3-4 months out. Being a bit vague about return date is good tactics by DS - keep the opposition guessing 👍

It’s more the expectation of him being fit and the communication around it that bugs me. Of course I don’t want a reoccurrence and much longer out (and I’m sure Villa, Chelsea and Ross don’t want that either) but just tell us what is going on. He was supposedly almost ready 2 weeks ago, was nowhere against Baggies, then Palace (then after that DS was quoted saying he was “very, very close”) and then the tweet this week saying “back soon”. If this is the case I don’t see how he can’t be a bench option by now.

I’d rather they just told us that he’s back training but we don’t want to risk him until he’s ready, then there wouldn’t be such an outcry of his absence.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It’s more the expectation of him being fit and the communication around it that bugs me. Of course I don’t want a reoccurrence and much longer out (and I’m sure Villa, Chelsea and Ross don’t want that either) but just tell us what is going on. He was supposedly almost ready 2 weeks ago, was nowhere against Baggies, then Palace (then after that DS was quoted saying he was “very, very close”) and then the tweet this week saying “back soon”. If this is the case I don’t see how he can’t be a bench option by now.

I’d rather they just told us that he’s back training but we don’t want to risk him until he’s ready, then there wouldn’t be such an outcry of his absence.

Who cares.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are getting angry over this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’ve been getting results and putting in performances without Ross Barkley, thankfully. Would have been nice to have him available tonight but I have full confidence in the XI starting. 

Mings will be determined to put a solid, error-free performance in too knowing Hause is playing well. Competition for places is finally working in an AVFC squad. Don Smith is a hero.

16 minutes ago, Rolta said:

After the last few years of imaginary enemies and endless conspiracy theories, I've come to the realisation that a surprising number of people are massive drama queens.

Hahaha yup. Seriously people, Ockham's razor is still a thing ffs.

• Like 1