Man United v Aston Villa : Pre-Match Thread

darrenm

Friday 1st Jan 2021 8pm

Will 3 days rest be enough for Villa to put out mostly the same 11 and be competitive?

Will Barkley be back? Does Mings come back in?

It's good we've avoided cards in the Chelsea game so we can put out a full strength team.

Predictions? I think we'll do em. 3-1 Villa

Does Mings go straight back in ? I think not after seeing Konse and Hause today, they seemed to be comfortable throughout. Interested to see reasons why he should.  Perhaps we are building a squad and not just a team?

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Does Mings go straight back in ? I think not after seeing Konse and Hause today, they seemed to be comfortable throughout. Interested to see reasons why he should.  Perhaps we are building a squad and not just a team?

Personally, I think we missed his ability to find a pass forward from the back tonight. Hause just wasn't as good at finding a man.

• Like 4

They'll all want to play so no changes unless there are any fitness niggles that emerge in the next day or two. I was banging on about subs, today but listening to Dean's interview that hunger to play every game and continue momentum is probably the better option. After the United game it's 12 days until the spurs match, and so plenty of changes can be made for the cup game anyway. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Personally, I think we missed his ability to find a pass forward from the back tonight. Hause just wasn't as good at finding a man.

Fair enough, but was Hause any worse defensively and might a match on the bench give  Mings the kick up the arse that makes him push on and prove he is better than the two younger possibly hungrier teammates 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, smg said:

Fair enough, but was Hause any worse defensively and might a match on the bench give  Mings the kick up the arse that makes him push on and prove he is better than the two younger possibly hungrier teammates 

Mings is basically co captain so like Grealish can't see either being dropped if fit and available

19 minutes ago, coda said:

Not getting my hopes up.

Oh I think we win. Most interesting to me will be if/how Dean fits Barkley back in the starting XI with AEG on such a hot streak. I’d personally try AEG on the right (although I’ve heard Anwar is weak on the right), Jack on the left, and Barkley slots back in to the middle. Traore has been serviceable but nothing I’ve seen suggests he’s cemented himself in the XI.

Mings starts on the bench for me. If for nothing else to show him that he needs to keep focus. Makes too many mistakes for my liking by trying to do too much.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Mings is basically co captain so like Grealish can't see either being dropped if fit and available

If this is true he is seriously under threat from Martinez so has to step up his game in the coming weeks because Martinez is equally as vocal and has the same if not better organisational skills. We will see what happens..

Apparently Lindelof done his back in so might have Bailly and Axel in their back four tomorrow and v us as Wan Bisaaka has also been injured last few games.

Similar defence to what we played tonight.

Can certainly see us scoring but fear their forward players are in too good form to contain.

If we only concede once I actually think we'll win this.

Same as last year, 2-2.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Exactamundo which is why Mings should go straight back in.

Barkley can wait though, no way El Ghazi should be dropped.

We could be 15 points clear at the top of league playing a UTD B team and I still wouldn't be confident. Years of pain against this lot has killed all confidence with this fixture. 

God how I'd love to beat these sods. 

Whilst not directly relevant to this game... Do you 'hint' to McGinn, Grealish and Targett that if they were to pick up a yellow card in this game then they'd be banned for the cup game they probably won't play in anyway rather than a league game... Innocently and completely coincidentally of course...

Unless cards are competition specific which I'm never 100% sure on.

Tough run of games come up and can see us losing all three at some point before the cut off.

• Like 1