Match Thread: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Just before they scored,  I am seeing Giroud is too good for our center halves. I would rather Abraham had played.

We started brightly, but after Cash got the kick we have looked very lethargic. Traore didn't track for the goal, but it was very nicely taken. I think Elmo 0r Freddie should come on for Traore, it could be even done at halftime.

Watkins could do with some help, he looks the most tired of them all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

It seems Traore has reverted to not tacking back whatsoever

Nah, there was a lot of occasions when Chelsea had to go backwards because there was nothing on and Traore played his part in that. He didn't track Chillwell for the goal but that was the exception.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Exhibit A one why we should look to make 1 or two signings next month. Our squad depth can't compete with the top sides. 

Exactly my point in the title chase thread, our squad isn’t strong enough for a European place at the moment and that impacts the first XI when they have to play every game especially 48 hours later.

• Like 1

Gotta not drop our heads here. These guys can be hurt. Their defence and GK are beatable. Hopefully we can find some energy second half. I know we all like a distraction over Xmas, but two games in two days is crazy. Only benefits the top teams.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised at the calls for Davis to score us a goal when he’s been consistently extremely low risk of scoring a goal.

Yup - the only player on the bench who might score is Connor.

• Like 1

Just now, villianusa said:

Just before they scored,  I am seeing Giroud is too good for our center halves. I would rather Abraham had played.

We started brightly, but after Cash got the kick we have looked very lethargic. Traore didn't track for the goal, but it was very nicely taken. I think Elmo 0r Freddie should come on for Traore, it could be even done at halftime.

Watkins could do with some help, he looks the most tired of them all.

This. We were the better team up until this very point? Strange....

Still 45 mins to go, I still think we will get something out of this game.

UTV

Just now, KAZZAM said:

Think Nakamba needs to come on for Traore and we need to switch to a flat 3 midfield with Jack on the left and Anwar on the right. 

Yep - I think I'd go with Nakamba - we're outnumbered in the middle with Jack playing so high and it's allowing them to get overloads out wide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Not so much to score but to pressure the keeper and he will buckle, have to get closer 

When we've managed to get around their box we've looked dangerous. Our problem is going from back to front too quick and going long too often under pressure.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Our wingers are playing shockingly shit.

They’re playing against a higher calibre opposition this evening, far superior to Palace or West Brom. I think we perhaps need to get Grealish out on the left up against Azpilicueta, try and draw some Chelsea players away from the middle. Bring Traore infield and try ElGhazi on the right against Chilwell. 

• Like 2