Villa On Boxing Day

One For The Road

I seem to recall a fair few shockers.

A defeat at Spurs with Defoe grabbing 2 is one that sprung to mind.

As for good results, my first 2 boxing day wins were QPR in 88 and Man United in 89. That was, ironically, the last time Villa have won consecutive boxing day games. 

We can match that today by beating Palace.

I seem to have the feeling that we don't do so well on this day traditionally.

What do you think about our history on 26th December and which games stick out?

Edited by One For The Road

I always remember that Boxing Day was a great day out. Standing on the Holte, mince pies being shared, hip flasks aplenty. I don’t remember many of the results although I think we beat West Ham 3-0 one year with Mortimer scoring. In those days I think we actually played a lot of home Boxing Day matches and had a lot of wins. 

Either way memories of Boxing Day at Villa Park fill me with a lovely warm glow. Merry Christmas everyone UTV!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Boxing day games always tended to be shit defeats. Apart from Dennis Mortimer's debut and the odd anomily we were strangely rubbish.

Perhaps the passing of time has sugar coated my memories and so I view them through claret and blue specs 🤓 

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Fri 26 December 1997

Villa 4-1 Spuds 

Collymore and Draper with two each.

1st Christmas with my in laws ended up with her Mum collapsing pissed Christmas night and me missing the only home game of the season with a hang over from hell. We remember for somewhat different reasons 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 3

My first ever game was boxing day 1989 when we beat UTD 3-0. 

Little did I know it would have taken so long to bear them again in the league. 

1 hour ago, onmeedson said:

Micky quinn at coventry , we got soaked and the fat lad got goals.

What a day that was, one of a number of games down the years that for some reason sticks in my mind.......the song we used to sing of him including that day would definitely not be PC or allowed today!

On 26/12/2020 at 06:25, One For The Road said:

We beat them a few times since then. Twice in 10 days in 92 I think. Just haven't since 95.

We haven’t beat Man United in the premier league since 1995??? Holy f***, that’s pathetic. My wife was born in 1995.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Well she’s gone through chemo recently so I’ll probably keep those private. All good though

All the very best mate and hope she continues her recovery🤞🤞🤞🤞

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

We haven’t beat Man United in the premier league since 1995??? Holy f***, that’s pathetic. My wife was born in 1995.

We beat them at Old Trafford in 2009 when Gabby got the winner..

On 26/12/2020 at 10:36, One For The Road said:

I seem to recall a fair few shockers.

A defeat at Spurs with Defoe grabbing 2 is one that sprung to mind.

As for good results, my first 2 boxing day wins were QPR in 88 and Man United in 89. That was, ironically, the last time Villa have won consecutive boxing day games. 

We can match that today by beating Palace.

I seem to have the feeling that we don't do so well on this day traditionally.

What do you think about our history on 26th December and which games stick out?

im sure i remember a 4 2 win against spurs. 2 for draper and 2 for collymore including a 35 yard free kick.

Â