sidcow

A decade is just a measure of ten years, where you measure from doesn't matter, doesn't have to be a year ending in zero or one, any ten years is a decade. The 1950, 60s. 70s, or 2020s or whatever all consists of one decade, the beginning of January 2020 to the end of Decemember 2029 is ten years, so the decade of the twenties began at the beginning 2020.

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

why did we all celebrate the millennium a year early then 🧐

A joke to prove that the decade must start in 2020, unless a millennium and a century and a decade don’t all begin in the same year. Not sure why this is even up for debate!

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There is no year 0. The first year is 1A.D. and ten years after that a decade is completed. 

But there is a year zero in the Astronomical Year Numbering calendar. You can't go from year - 1 to year +1 without stopping at year 0.

It does't matter when the first year of the millenium was or wasn't, any period of ten years is a decade, March 15th 1987 to March 15th 1997 is a decade, the first ten years of someone's life is a decade, as is the last ten years, technically the beginning of every new year is the begininng of a new decade which will end ten years later.

January 1st 2020 to December 31st 2029 is ten years, that is the decade that consists of the twenties, in the same way that your twenties begin when you turn twenty and end ten years later when you turn thirty.

Or to put it simply any new year can be the start of a new decade, but the start of the decade that consists of the twenties, and what most people are referring to when they speak of 'the new decade' was January 1st 2020.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

I swear, I had no idea what I was toying with. 

I feel bad about this. You know that guy, the guy in a crowded pub, who pinches a girl on the ass, starts an all in brawl, then walks away scott free? Everybody hates that guy, but that is what I have become. I can't apologize enough for this. I underestimated Villatalk's ability to go from 0 to mental from a standing start.

A nice, well intentioned thread, and it has become madness. 

Sorry. 🙁

I think my earlier unidentified jest has now become crystal clear 😁

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

I swear, I had no idea what I was toying with. 

I feel bad about this. You know that guy, the guy in a crowded pub, who pinches a girl on the ass, starts an all in brawl, then walks away scott free? Everybody hates that guy, but that is what I have become. I can't apologize enough for this. I underestimated Villatalk's ability to go from 0 to mental from a standing start.

A nice, well intentioned thread, and it has become madness. 

Sorry. 🙁

To use your analogy, while you’re walking away from the brawl without a scratch, this unwarranted use of the letter “z” is the equivalent of winking at the pretty bar maid on your way out of the pub.

• Haha 2

Â