Please tell me when to stop laughing at SHA

rjw63

On 06/11/2019 at 08:56, Stuartc445 said:

I just can't watch the accents are painful some are more scouse than Brummie and the one this series I heard it the matter of a few sentences he went through all the dialects I'm Birmingham.

It's a very common for actors to do that "scouse brummie" accent, I've been hearing it since the days of "Crossroads". :lol:

Years ago a mate of mine went off to uni and pointed out the only good aspect about the shite brummie accent was no bugger could actually take the piss out of it properly because nobody could actually do it.

The best they could do is what actors who manage to avoid scouse brummie - or scummy, if you prefer - do and that's the yam yam midlands accent.

Despite it being an utterly bone accent and sounding simple to reproduce, it's actually hellishly difficult for a non-native to replicate with any consistent authenticity. As you've mentioned, sometimes a few people will pull off a sentence or two but the longer they're expected to speak, the harder it is to not slide around the region before finally ending up in Birkenhead.

• Like 1

I really don't think it's mentioned that they are bluenoses. In the first season the Irish bird asks 'what's all this' when the pub is rammed early afternoon and tommy says something like 'these are just the good old lads off down to St Andrews later' he doesn't then go on to say he's also a massive zulu. 

4 hours ago, privateer said:

It's a very common for actors to do that "scouse brummie" accent, I've been hearing it since the days of "Crossroads". :lol:

Years ago a mate of mine went off to uni and pointed out the only good aspect about the shite brummie accent was no bugger could actually take the piss out of it properly because nobody could actually do it.

The best they could do is what actors who manage to avoid scouse brummie - or scummy, if you prefer - do and that's the yam yam midlands accent.

Despite it being an utterly bone accent and sounding simple to reproduce, it's actually hellishly difficult for a non-native to replicate with any consistent authenticity. As you've mentioned, sometimes a few people will pull off a sentence or two but the longer they're expected to speak, the harder it is to not slide around the region before finally ending up in Birkenhead.

Arthur Shelby is pretty good but Aunt Polly is straight outta Croxteth. 

The Scum are definitely referenced in PB and there is a line about ALL prostitutes from Aston being pox ridden. 

In those days no one from Small Heath would be Villa, that's nonsense. 

Anyone who dresses Peaky is an utter tit regardless of which team they support. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump this thread, but worth mentioning the little shite that tweeted about jack's brother has been run over. he survived and will make a full recovery, so i make no apologies for being mildly pleased that he's suffered some discomfort

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

sorry to bump this thread, but worth mentioning the little shite that tweeted about jack's brother has been run over. he survived and will make a full recovery, so i make no apologies for being mildly pleased that he's suffered some discomfort

Yeah I saw that too.  Wasn't sure if I should mention it on here - seemed like gloating but I don't feel so bad about it now 🤣

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

He seems incredibly hapless.  Pretty sure he had a fall at Wembley (watching Man City) and was in a coma a few months ago too.

That's true. Three times the karm charm, eh? :crylaugh:

The universe isn't done with you yet, blue nose, you utter word removed. Not by a long way. :thumb:

• Haha 1

On 08/11/2019 at 22:20, sidcow said:

Anyone who dresses Peaky is an utter tit regardless of which team they support. 

My cousin got married this summer and all of his bride's family decided to dress up as Peaky Blinders and strut around like gangsters. The wedding was in Devon and as far as I know that's where all her family are from so no Small Heath connection. 

I felt guilty about missing my cousins wedding, then I heard about that bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

My cousin got married this summer and all of his bride's family decided to dress up as Peaky Blinders and strut around like gangsters. The wedding was in Devon and as far as I know that's where all her family are from so no Small Heath connection. 

I felt guilty about missing my cousins wedding, then I heard about that bollocks.

Are you sure it wasn't just a farmer thing?!

Flat caps don't tend to be associated with gangs in that part of the world!

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you sure it wasn't just a farmer thing?!

Flat caps don't tend to be associated with gangs in that part of the world!

Ive seen the photos, I watch the show and I also grew up Devon, trust me it was Peaky Blinders.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Ive seen the photos, I watch the show and I also grew up Devon, trust me it was Peaky Blinders.

I believe you, I just find it really weird.

I'm from a farming background in Somerset and I can't associate flat caps with anything else...and a big group wearing them just reminds me of the dickheads out for the boxing day hunt.

Ignoring all that, it's just a bit shite for a wedding. I don't understand why someone would want to go down the gimick route.

At the risk of being criticised by a certain VTer about my SHA obsession i just had to take a peek at their forum after last nights game and it didn't disappoint ! Comments from "if Greasy fanny plays fo England then I ain't watching"...."singing about us already i see"....."Newcastle were crap"..."we're proper brummies"...some good bitter stuff there. In all fairness there were a couple of comments about conor's free kick and one nose responded about our obsession singing about them along the lines of "as opposed to having a thread about villa ?".

Maybe there's hope for them........some of them.....?

• Haha 1

Â